The Student Room Group

What would happen if you took LSD whilst on mental health medication?

Has anyone on here ever done this?

Scroll to see replies

You'd be an idiot.
I've no idea but I wouldn't recommend trying :headfire:
Bad things: Bad things would happen! :colonhash:
Reply 4
j1.jpg
youre-going-to-have-a-bad-time.png
I imagine it depends on what medication and your dosage as well as how much LSD you take. It might also depend on the condition the medication is for. I don't know the effects about specific medication/dosages/conditions though.
Why the **** do you want to do that :lolwut:?
Reply 8
Original post by Little Popcorns
Why the **** do you want to do that :lolwut:?

I don't, I'm just curious as to what it would be like :smile:

It's because I'm not going to do it, that I've made this thread.
Original post by lustawny

Thank goodness for that - you had me worried there :eek3:

Phew :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Thank goodness for that - you had me worried there :eek3:

Original post by Little Popcorns
Phew :smile:

Sorry to cause such a panic :lol:

Haha, dw :hugs:
Reply 13

Any particular mental health medication?

Antipsychotics? Mood stabilisers? TCAs? SSRIs? Anxiolytics? Stimulants?

Yeah :/ could have made it a bit clearer in the first post :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by JoeTSR
Any particular mental health medication?

Antipsychotics? Mood stabilisers? TCAs? SSRIs? Anxiolytics? Stimulants?

Well, I had antipsychotics and SSRIs in mind when making the thread, but I guess this thread could apply to any and all of them :dontknow:
Reply 16
Well, I had antipsychotics and SSRIs in mind when making the thread, but I guess this thread could apply to any and all of them :dontknow:

Antipsychotics, high enough dose of LSD + bad setting, probable psychotic break, ending in more antipsychotics and maybe hospitalisation. Potentially the case even without bad setting.

SSRIs, probably nothing much different from LSD when not on SSRIs. Less mood swings.
Has anyone on here ever done this?

Yeah. I and several people I know. We all had great times with no ill effects. A lot of anti-depressants are known to dampen the effects of LSD and other than that there's really not much known about the combinations. Like people said, you should be extra cautious. I mean, you should be super cautious with all drugs you take anyway, and do extensive research beforehand. There's certain normal every day foods that you avoid at all costs while on ecstasy, for example. Speaking of which, if you're on SSRIs and take ecstasy, you're going to end up in the hospital, or the morgue. That is an example of a known dangerous combination and a great illustration of why doing your research matters before doing a drug.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link, but google "Erowid". It's an educational website on illicit substances. If you go to the LSD page, and scroll down to LSD and anti-depressants, you can find a whole host of information there from current research, to anecdotal first hand experience reviews. Bluelight is another website which lots of helpful information about drugs, and trip reports, etc. Between these two websites you should be able to find what you're looking for.

But yes, agree with everyone here, probably don't do it. Wait til you're off them.
Reply 18
Original post by JoeTSR
SSRIs, probably nothing much different from LSD when not on SSRIs. Less mood swings.

Even during the side effects stage of SSRI medication? (akathisia, strange thoughts etc.)
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
There's certain normal every day foods that you avoid at all costs while on ecstasy, for example. Speaking of which, if you're on SSRIs and take ecstasy, you're going to end up in the hospital, or the morgue. That is an example of a known dangerous combination and a great illustration of why doing your research matters before doing a drug.

MAOIs (Though a small amount of garlic in your food probably isn't going to do too much damage, others could)/SSRIs and ecstacy is definitely a deadly combination.

Anything acting on CYP3A4 should be avoided at all costs unless doctor approved while on SSRIs (and anything acting on serotonin in any way while on ecstacy should generally be avoided wherever possible, if not at all costs).

Even during the side effects stage of SSRI medication? (akathisia, strange thoughts etc.)

Akathisia is already an effect of LSD. You might walk some more, that part'll just be amplified. I wouldn't imagine LSD would massively increase incidence of suicidal ideation, though obviously someone experiencing that should absolutely take extra special care before taking any psychoactive substances, especially psychedelics.

E2A: I'm not a doctor, this shouldn't be construed as medical advice. Please please please seek advice from a medical professional if you intend on actually doing any of this. Named contraindications aren't exhaustive.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest