The Student Room Group

Father killed by elephant

Sad story of a Scottish father and daughter being thrown from an elephant in Thailand, unfortunately the father was killed. His daughter is in hospital but OK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35466237

Scroll to see replies

I feel more sympathy for the Elephant.

I do wish people would stop using these creatures in this way they are not as portrayed by Disney and need to be treated with respect

'was clearly having some trouble controlling the elephant and they have a sort of iron spike that they use - it looks rather brutal - but they use it to strike the elephant's head, not usually very hard, but at least to let it know what to do.'
Reply 2
Original post by BaconandSauce
I feel more sympathy for the Elephant.'

I agree. Can see the Elephant being put down after this...
An unfortunate accident doing what can only be described as risky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Haydo

Doubt it. Thailand is full of Buddhists who would disagree with that.
Original post by Haydo

Hopefully it won't happen as this isn't his fault.

but can't see people having much use for a killer.
Obviously sad that the father died, but what do people expect?

It reminds me of Drapetomania.
Original post by sw651
Doubt it. Thailand is full of Buddhists who would disagree with that.

Yet they don't care about the abuse.
Sad story, but you take your chances. The whole industry with elephant rides needs to be shut down. It's disgusting.
Reply 9
Original post by abruiseonthesky
Yet they don't care about the abuse.

Cruel irony
Original post by sw651
Cruel irony

More massive hypocrisy
Sad story, but you take your chances. The whole industry with elephant rides needs to be shut down. It's disgusting.

Is it any different to horses?
Interesting points of view. I would worry for all of the "thousands" of elephants if the tourist rides now stopped...

I think it's like most things. If run properly, there is no reason why the elephants can't have happy lives and carry tourists around. Unfortunately, at the moment I assume the reality is incredibly depressing.
Original post by Speckle

Completely.

- horses are domestic (although still unpredictable); elephants are wild
- the treatment of horses is generally much better than the treatment of elephants during the breaking for riding
- the elephants are kept alone when they're herd animals, and usually in chains; horses aren't (generally) kept alone and have stables/fields
- elephants are beaten and it's legal; here obviously beating horses isn't
- it's easy to regulate animal owners here - if you suspect someone's mistreating an animal you report them. In countries such as Thailand there are no such systems in place because animal abuse is commonplace

The one thing I'd say is better about riding elephants than horses is you're probably not damaging the elephant's back by riding it, you are a horse.

Oh, and you have less far to fall off a horse :tongue: plus you're likely to be wearing a hat, unless you're a complete moron.
(edited 8 years ago)
Completely.

- horses are domestic (although still unpredictable); elephants are wild
- the treatment of horses is generally much better than the treatment of elephants during the breaking for riding
- the elephants are kept alone when they're herd animals, and usually in chains; horses aren't (generally) kept alone and have stables/fields
- elephants are beaten and it's legal; here obviously beating horses isn't
- it's easy to regulate animal owners here - if you suspect someone's mistreating an animal you report them. In countries such as Thailand there are no such systems in place because animal abuse is commonplace

The one thing I'd say is better about riding elephants than horses is you're probably not damaging the elephant's back by riding it, you are a horse.

Would you endorse it if the treatment of the elephants was much better?

(I ask because I share the exact same concerns as you)
Original post by Captain Jack
Would you endorse it if the treatment of the elephants was much better?

(I ask because I share the exact same concerns as you)

Probably not. Mostly because I can't see people keeping herds of elephants so the elephant would still be alone, and also because there's a complete difference between horses and elephants. Elephants aren't domestic animals. Horses are. I don't even like zoos that much because of their caging in of wild animals. The best thing about them is the conservation work they do.
Probably not. Mostly because I can't see people keeping herds of elephants so the elephant would still be alone, and also because there's a complete difference between horses and elephants. Elephants aren't domestic animals. Horses are. I don't even like zoos that much because of their caging in of wild animals. The best thing about them is the conservation work they do.

Good point - I guess the idea of them being in mini herds in a little wilderness in between rides it a dream that will never be a reality :frown:
Reply 17
That's the risk I guess. On his head be it etc.
Good point - I guess the idea of them being in mini herds in a little wilderness in between rides it a dream that will never be a reality :frown:

Yeah it'd just never happen
Original post by Speckle

I would say that it is different, but horse racing and riding should be banned.

I think it's like most things. If run properly, there is no reason why the elephants can't have happy lives and carry tourists around. Unfortunately, at the moment I assume the reality is incredibly depressing.

I disagree. To get the elephants to allow the riding they have to be trained, part of even the kindest methods is controlling the animals actions through controlling their food supply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending