The Student Room Group

Pokemon 20th Anniversary Tournament

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ByronicHero
No, just nostalgia really but I understand why you thought that. I'm interested in giving it a go though so you can still count me in :smile:

:hi:
You going to be free at all Friday/Saturday for the game?

Original post by Dez
I still need to put a team together (it's 6v6 right?). So maybe later on this week, Thursday or Friday evening perhaps?

Yeah 6v6, with a few restrictions of pokemon/item etc choices :yep: full rules in the spoilers in the OP.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, either looks fine at the moment. Shall we say Saturday morning?
Yes, either looks fine at the moment. Shall we say Saturday morning?

That should work :yep: 10:3ish?
Sounds good. I might forget so feel free to remind me nearer the time (plz)

I have to learn how to pokemon again.

I didn't even have the luck of drawing another noob XD
Original post by IamJuggernaut
lemme know when you are available, not sure how it works for us though as we got three in the round but anyway let me know when u are free. And also do we do a random battle or selected team>

Free anytime between 12 and 6 tomorrow my friend. That okay with you?
Sounds good. I might forget so feel free to remind me nearer the time (plz)

I have to learn how to pokemon again.

I didn't even have the luck of drawing another noob XD

To be fair I haven't really played since ORAS were released and I may be using some sort of silly gimmick team, so it might not be too clear cut!
Okay I'm having a fiddle on showdown. Which format should I pick when building a team?
Okay I'm having a fiddle on showdown. Which format should I pick when building a team?

It's ORAS Singles OU :smile:
Sweet.

I will build a team.

If anyone wants to play who isn't Gofre just let me know :tongue:

You should be using the OU format to make the teams, since this is a OU tournament. Incase you are wondering what it means, its bases upon which Pokémon are mostly used. Overused, underused, rarely used, never used, and PU (I forget what it stands for) are the tiers based on usage.
Original post by Aria Enoshima
You should be using the OU format to make the teams, since this is a OU tournament. Incase you are wondering what it means, its bases upon which Pokémon are mostly used. Overused, underused, rarely used, never used, and PU (I forget what it stands for) are the tiers based on usage.

I know the tiers as we used to play tournaments in my flat at uni (by pure luck there were 6 of us who really enjoyed pokemon). I am just not used to using showdown. Thanks though!

I've actually just won my first two matches somehow despite not knowing what half of my opponents pokemon do :biggrin:
Question: when it won't let me select several moves is that because they do not affect the opposing pokemon?

Also I have now won my first three. Beginners luck :tongue:
Question: when it won't let me select several moves is that because they do not affect the opposing pokemon?

Also I have now won my first three. Beginners luck :tongue:

Nope, the game lets you choose any move. It would be a bit unfair if you predicted a switch by the opponent but couldn't choose the desired move to hit the new pokemon!

I'm guessing you either had no remaining pp, had a Choice Band, Choice Scarf or Choice Specs equipped, was attacked with Disable, or alternatively may have hit a pokemon with Cursed Body?
(edited 8 years ago)
I am using choice specs, of course. Derp.

Is there somewhere I can see the ladder? Is it something people are still competitive about?

Thanks for the help.

I'm now 4 - 0 and enjoying it considerably.
I am using choice specs, of course. Derp.

Is there somewhere I can see the ladder? Is it something people are still competitive about?

Thanks for the help.

I'm now 4 - 0 and enjoying it considerably.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/ladder/ou

Smogon's still going strong, so I'm guessing people are competitive as ever!
Thanks!
I'm in
Original post by Dez
I still need to put a team together (it's 6v6 right?). So maybe later on this week, Thursday or Friday evening perhaps?

Tis 6v6 - Friday is fine by me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Tis 6v6 - Friday is fine by me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, Friday after 7PM. I'll be in the box. :smile:
I know the tiers as we used to play tournaments in my flat at uni (by pure luck there were 6 of us who really enjoyed pokemon). I am just not used to using showdown. Thanks though!

I've actually just won my first two matches somehow despite not knowing what half of my opponents pokemon do :biggrin:

It isn't illegal or anything to have smogon up whilst playing so you can search what they can do there. Also, by typing in /dt "insert pokemon/move/ability name here" into the chat box, you can look up whatever it is (e.g, if I wanted to look up volt switch{a semi common move on electric types}, i would type in /dt volt switch). Its helpful even for the experienced players to check out the base power of a move or if Mamoswine really has 80 base speed.

Quick Reply

Latest