The Student Room Group

Rhodes must fall campaign backfires.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
An interesting philosophical point. At what point do they become a mere pile of chemicals? Presumably some time after the skeleton has decomposed?

Once all the soft bits have gone, bone marrow included.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 101
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Look, if I had to be so principled I'd have to turn down a scholarship in any of the elitist universities and institutions lol. I aint doing that. TBO I;d rather revolt from within, like parasite that eats its host from the inside out :colone:

Churchill was a racist and general knob who supporting the empire and a load of other crap. But he was our leader when we defeated Nazism. He was charismatic and played a big part in that. We do not have statues of him to celebrate racism. We have to to celebrate our proud history fo standing up to Nazi Germany. We do not use him as a symbol to teach our children to be privileged racist bigots. We also do not sue him to justify owning the world. His mythology is general positive. Fascism bad. We beat it. For liberty and freedom.

Ghandi was a wife beater and racist. But again, we don't idealize him for that. His myth is centered around fighting against colonialism and for kind of social justice in India.

Again I stress I don;t know much but a quick google reveal this Cecil dude and he is pretty much just known for supporting the Empire (albeit he did seem to support reforming ti and making it a bit more democratic) and resistant to its dismantling. He is also a strong suspect for being a white supremacist. Not in the way everyone was at least a bit racist back then. He was a full on racist. Where is the positive myth here we can use to teach our children about?

But fi you went down this route there is loads of statues we'd have to get rid of... It's like how as westerners we look at statues of Lenin in Russia as being a bit weird.

But if I was studying at this place I would find it annoying that this racist knob is what my college is named after.

But thankfully I went to a uni where the figure heads are people like Joule who did things other than being a racist imperialist. Plus the advantage fo going to "crap" uni means it is not as old and pompous so is more modern, so less racism and imperialism celebrating.

In that case, the statue celebrates the largest benefactor of the college and the creator of the first and most famous international scholarship program. We celebrate him for that, not for having created the South African regime, even if at the same time commoners and women still couldn't vote in the UK. Rhodes is not responsible for what South Africa became after his death.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The university itself wasn't created or funded by Rhodes, it had many bequests and was in the main funded by the diamond and gold industries. Yes, it sits on Groote Schuur, the Rhodes estate, so it has a nice environment because of that and space to expand, but that's not the same as being beneficiaries of his personal legacy as you put it, other than marginally.

He left his entire estate to the nation in a personal bequest, and part of it became the upper campus. It is therefore a fact that if he had not done so those students wouldn't have even been there to heap human sh~t on his statue on that achingly beautiful campus commemorating that bequest.

(With their leader, Chumani Maxwele screaming as he launched his sh#t on Cecil's stony shoulders, "we must not listen to whites, we do not need their apologies, they have to be removed from UCT and they have to be killed.")

In any event, the history of the funding of institutions is often at odds with their current vision or purpose. Britain grew rich (or at least, the upper classes of it did) on the slave trade - nobody now advocates that we honour the memory of the slave trade because it was instrumental in the industrialisation and progress of this country, or that modern Britons are hypocritical to critique the Triangle Trade.

This is so simplistic it is hard to credit.

Some things are honoured in our history, others not, but one thing we cannot do is judge the past by the standards of the present.

Many of the Founding Fathers of the US owned slaves. It gave them the wealth and leisure to conduct their Revolution. Are you suggesting that Jefferson's Memorial be torn down, or Washington DC be renamed after one of GW's slaves?
Ha ha ha!

I thought it was only a matter of time.

http://www.cherwell.org/news/topstories/2016/02/02/oriel-provost-faces-further-calls-to-resign

"Oriel Provost must fall!" "Oriel Provost must fall!"
Original post by JezWeCan!
Ha ha ha!

I thought it was only a matter of time.

http://www.cherwell.org/news/topstories/2016/02/02/oriel-provost-faces-further-calls-to-resign

"Oriel Provost must fall!" "Oriel Provost must fall!"

I wonder about the motives of some of these people. Why would a UL former Provost be chipping in and banging on about taking responsibility? I actually work in a part of the loose federation that now makes up the University of London and what you really notice here is that taking responsibility for anything is something that senior management is above all, desperate not to do. :rolleyes:
Why are some students such a waste of space? Not every aspect of history is supposed to be liked but it should act as a reminder of what has happened for future generations. Rhodes was no angel, but nor was Stalin or Trotsky, who I'm sure the majority of these idiots idolise.

They have Wadham and King's Colleges for this type of nonsense. Go bother them.
Original post by Aceadria
Why are some students such a waste of space? Not every aspect of history is supposed to be liked but it should act as a reminder of what has happened for future generations. Rhodes was no angel, but nor was Stalin or Trotsky, who I'm sure the majority of these idiots idolise.

They have Wadham and King's Colleges for this type of nonsense. Go bother them.

the historical illiteracy of these nitwits beggars belief.
Reply 107
hahaha
Original post by TheGuyReturns
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/12128151/Cecil-Rhodes-statue-to-remain-at-Oxford-University-after-alumni-threatens-to-withdraw-millions.html

-Oriel planning to make redundancies
-Oriel expecting to operate at 200k loss
-Multiple donation losses, adding up to a possible 100 million

Hard left chancers (the same ones who are currently ruining the Labour party :frown: ) scoring an own goal. Comedy ****ing GOLD. :lol:

Moral of the story:

There is no right and wrong. There are just those with power (i.e. money in this case) and those without. And it is those with power who decide what right and wrong are.

Same reason why that saudi millionaire who claimed he fell and "accidentally penetrated/raped" a girl, was able to get off scott free.
(edited 8 years ago)
I wonder about the motives of some of these people. Why would a UL former Provost be chipping in and banging on about taking responsibility? I actually work in a part of the loose federation that now makes up the University of London and what you really notice here is that taking responsibility for anything is something that senior management is above all, desperate not to do. :rolleyes:

His motives? I would say they are political not administrative.

I hear what you say about the way academic institutions are run. On the whole it isn't pretty.

The Oriel Provost did cock up though, it shows how the experience and skill set of a Permanent Secretary are not necessarily the best background for heading up an Oxbridge College whereas you would think it would be a great fit. This "listening exercise" was a classic civil service tactic and I thought at the time it was unlikely to end well.

As it transpires she has managed to get both sides of the debate against her. The Rhodes Must Stand side are appalled that she didn't just consult with Old Members (as the Master of Univ did) and then show a bit of spine to what was just, let's face it, the JCR, causing such a loss of money and prestige to the College and indeed Oxford. The Rhodes Must Fall crowd are equally annoyed that she has backtracked on the plaque and the statue will stand.

So way to go Moira, you managed to pi$$ off just about everyone. Very impressive.
Original post by Ronda Rousey
Moral of the story:

There is no right and wrong. There are just those with power (i.e. money in this case) and those without. And it is those with power who decide what right and wrong are.

Same reason why that saudi millionaire who claimed he fell and "accidentally penetrated/raped" a girl, was able to get off scott free.

You are so wrong, ever heard of listed building?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moral of the story:

Moral of the story?

An extraordinary man, who shaped the history of Southern Africa and left a wonderful legacy to his old college and university which still continues to this day will continue to be honoured. His name and statue will live on to be seen by future generations. :biggrin:

#youlostdealwithitloonylefty
Original post by JezWeCan!
Moral of the story?

An extraordinary man, who shaped the history of Southern Africa and left a wonderful legacy to his old college and university which still continues to this day will continue to be honoured. His name and statue will live on to be seen by future generations. :biggrin:

#youlostdealwithitloonylefty

Prejudiced much? Biased much?

My posts wasnt left or right leaning in any way (in fact, it would be more accurate to describe it as amoral)
Reply 113
Those morons...

Meanwhile I can't dream of getting into Oxford. :colonhash:

* Oops I realised my mistake once I fully read it. IT wasn't a student:colondollar:*
(edited 8 years ago)

My posts wasnt left or right leaning in any way (in fact, it would be more accurate to describe it as amoral)

You just posted a thread about how you think the majority of Republicans are racists and sexists (clearly showing where you lean) and then claim you're making unbiased statements.

Make up your mind and stick to it.
You just posted a thread about how you think the majority of Republicans are racists and sexists (clearly showing where you lean) and then claim you're making unbiased statements.

Make up your mind and stick to it.

Can you read?

What does that have to do with anything? Like I said, my post was neither left nor right.

You seem to be prejudiced and biased against the old members of Oriel who have a perfect right to decide not to write their old college into their wills if they decide it is being discourteous to its greatest ever benefactor just to appease a moronic left wing rabble.

Apart from that your post was just terrific.
Can you read?

What does that have to do with anything? Like I said, my post was neither left nor right.

Just because you say you're unbiased does not make it so.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just because you say you're unbiased does not make it so.

I guess I shouldnt be surprised you righties are incapable of comprehending basic points.

I never said I was unbiased. I said the post I made, that you have all been criticising as leftist, is unbiased.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I guess I shouldnt be surprised you righties are incapable of comprehending basic points.

Glad you proved my point. My views are irrelevant and nor are they being discussed. You made a silly claim so back it up.

I never said I was unbiased. I said the post I made, that you have all been criticising as leftist nonsense, is unbiased.

Your post and your views are not separate entities. If they are, that makes you one of a few things but most notably a hypocrite.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending