Father killed by elephant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sw651
Cruel irony

Cruel ivory...
Reply 21
Original post by Farm_Ecology
I would say that it is different, but horse racing and riding should be banned.

I disagree. To get the elephants to allow the riding they have to be trained, part of even the kindest methods is controlling the animals actions through controlling their food supply.

Horse riding isn't actually cruel in itself. I know that there are cruel practices, but just riding isn't cruel. I frequently ride an Exmoor pony, I know that she's not a horse but they are very similar. She doesn't suffer when I ride her. She gets cared for very well. She is in a stable block with other horses and ponies. She is never in a paddock alone, unless it's for the purposes of infection control.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by kyx
cruel ivory...

prsom. Fgs :d
Reply 23
Original post by sw651
prsom. Fgs :d

:biggrin: :colone: :lol:
Original post by abruiseonthesky
Probably not. Mostly because I can't see people keeping herds of elephants

But many people do have herds of elephants, in fact my old boss had a herd of elephants on his land.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
But many people do have herds of elephants, in fact my old boss had a herd of elephants on his land.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's pretty cool, where did you work?! Still, I wasn't talking about ballers who have loads of land (most of the time where elephants happen to live, rather than actively having a herd). I'm talking about the people who run these operations, where the majority of the time they have 1 elephant chained up in isolation. It's disgusting.
That's pretty cool, where did you work?! Still, I wasn't talking about ballers who have loads of land (most of the time where elephants happen to live, rather than actively having a herd). I'm talking about the people who run these operations, where the majority of the time they have 1 elephant chained up in isolation. It's disgusting.

I worked in South Africa, he bought the Elephants.

From my experience with Thailand they generally have quite few elephants and they actually had pretty good conditions.
I worked in South Africa, he bought the Elephants.

From my experience with Thailand they generally have quite few elephants and they actually had pretty good conditions.

That's really cool. I'd love to go to one of the big nature reserves in Africa. I'll have to get some £££ and suck it up and get vaccinated (literally have no idea how I got my nose and helix pierced, I can't stand needles lmao).

I didn't mean just Thailand, it was just the most obvious example to me :tongue: Regardless, what you see isn't necessarily the reality (2 dif links).
That's really cool. I'd love to go to one of the big nature reserves in Africa. I'll have to get some £££ and suck it up and get vaccinated (literally have no idea how I got my nose and helix pierced, I can't stand needles lmao).

I didn't mean just Thailand, it was just the most obvious example to me :tongue: Regardless, what you see isn't necessarily the reality (2 dif links).

I did it for free other than flights, I only stayed on the reserve for a weekend though, the rest of the time I was working.

You get good and bad where ever you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did it for free other than flights, I only stayed on the reserve for a weekend though, the rest of the time I was working.

You get good and bad where ever you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really want to go. Sadly I don't think I'll be working for another few years yet - I plan on being a student for at least another 3 after my undergrad :tongue: - so no money for me except what I can get over holidays.

That doesn't make it acceptable to take the chance on mistreatment - especially as the majority are cruelly treated when they're being broken in - or to participate in the entrapment of a wild animal alone, away from others of its species which, whether they're treated well or not, is what you're doing by paying for elephant rides.
I feel terrible for the little girl and her father, but the poor elephants :frown: They're treated horribly; using wild animals for human entertainment is not right, considering how they're trained in such an inhumane manner
(edited 8 years ago)
Sad story, but you take your chances. The whole industry with elephant rides needs to be shut down. It's disgusting.

Very true. Rode an elephant in Agra where the elephant was clearly exhausted. The minder kept hitting it with a large, thin stick. When questioned by my parents about this, the man in all honesty replied that the elephant didn't mind...How in God's name, do you know that?
Original post by Aceadria
Very true. Rode an elephant in Agra where the elephant was clearly exhausted. The minder kept hitting it with a large, thin stick. When questioned by my parents about this, the man in all honesty replied that the elephant didn't mind...How in God's name, do you know that?

People are horrible, aren't they? It's like when jockeys say that the horses are fine with them hitting them and waving their whips past their bloody eyes.
People are horrible, aren't they? It's like when jockeys say that the horses are fine with them hitting them and waving their whips past their bloody eyes.

I was thinking of that earlier. Disgusting.
Original post by Aceadria
I was thinking of that earlier. Disgusting.

Non-human animals > human animals :tongue:
Original post by Captain Jack
Interesting points of view. I would worry for all of the "thousands" of elephants if the tourist rides now stopped...

Replace "elephants" with"slaves". :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending