The Student Room Group

Heart palpitations, really concerned :(

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help, small bit of history, I have always been a very anxious person, in most aspects but especially regarding my health. I have had the odd heart palpitation as long as I can remember, but 3 times this thing has happened where my heart flutters continuously and beats crazily fast for a few minutes and then goes to back to my resting heart rate (which is around 90-95 which is high considering I'm an 18 year old healthy girl). I always get heart palpitations as part of a panic attack or even when I'm just nervous or anxious.

The first 2 times this fluttery thing happened were when I was exercising, but pushing myself a LOT on separate occasions in separate sports, long jump training and netball training, this was a good 4 years ago though. However I am at uni now, and last night on the way to a night out, I had had a bit to drink and we were running because it was really late, and it happened for a few minutes and my friends sat with me until it went back to normal but I was so freaked out and panicky I stopped drinking I just wanted to go home but I didn't want to be alone. My friend's mum is a nurse and I spoke to her and she said I should be okay just monitor it and see my GP but I am freaking out. I've made a appointment but couldn't get one until monday, I don't wanna go out tonight because I'm scared it will happen again I feel so stressed and worried, I think it's because I'm away from home and I've scared myself from reading stuff online, but has anyone ever experienced anything similar or know what it could be? I literally am scared it's just gonna stop I don't know what to do :frown:
Original post by sorg61013
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help, small bit of history, I have always been a very anxious person, in most aspects but especially regarding my health. I have had the odd heart palpitation as long as I can remember, but 3 times this thing has happened where my heart flutters continuously and beats crazily fast for a few minutes and then goes to back to my resting heart rate (which is around 90-95 which is high considering I'm an 18 year old healthy girl). I always get heart palpitations as part of a panic attack or even when I'm just nervous or anxious.

The first 2 times this fluttery thing happened were when I was exercising, but pushing myself a LOT on separate occasions in separate sports, long jump training and netball training, this was a good 4 years ago though. However I am at uni now, and last night on the way to a night out, I had had a bit to drink and we were running because it was really late, and it happened for a few minutes and my friends sat with me until it went back to normal but I was so freaked out and panicky I stopped drinking I just wanted to go home but I didn't want to be alone. My friend's mum is a nurse and I spoke to her and she said I should be okay just monitor it and see my GP but I am freaking out. I've made a appointment but couldn't get one until monday, I don't wanna go out tonight because I'm scared it will happen again I feel so stressed and worried, I think it's because I'm away from home and I've scared myself from reading stuff online, but has anyone ever experienced anything similar or know what it could be? I literally am scared it's just gonna stop I don't know what to do :frown:

No-one here can diagnose you but honestly it could be just anxiety, that doesn't make it any nicer or less scary though I know! Go and see your GP and they'll get you an ECG and things which will hopefully be able to put your mind at rest and identify any other problems, in the mean time if you're really worried you could always ring 111 (the non-emergency NHS number) and they might be able to reassure you a bit. I know it sounds silly and you would if you could but the best thing to do is try and stay calm and distract yourself as much as you can- whatever it is, being more stressed if anything is likely to make it worse. You've probably learnt this by now but try and avoid googling it too! Hope you can see your GP soon and they help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by furryface12
No-one here can diagnose you but honestly it could be just anxiety, that doesn't make it any nicer or less scary though I know! Go and see your GP and they'll get you an ECG and things which will hopefully be able to put your mind at rest and identify any other problems, in the mean time if you're really worried you could always ring 111 (the non-emergency NHS number) and they might be able to reassure you a bit. I know it sounds silly and you would if you could but the best thing to do is try and stay calm and distract yourself as much as you can- whatever it is, being more stressed if anything is likely to make it worse. You've probably learnt this by now but try and avoid googling it too! Hope you can see your GP soon and they help :smile:

Thank you so much! I am going to the docs on monday and I'll deffo make sure I get an ECG as I want to be able to exercise and go out & enjoy myself ASAP, but I'm scared to do that before talking to a doctor first!
palpitations and a fast heart rate while exercising hard... practically undiagnosable...

ECG for better safe than sorry BUT common sense should prevail and don't be anxious
Reply 4
Thanks everyone, I have to have a 24 hour ECG just waiting to be told when
Original post by sorg61013
Thanks everyone, I have to have a 24 hour ECG just waiting to be told when

Well done for getting it sorted! Hope it comes out alright :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thank you! My Grandad told me that harmless arrhythmia runs in the family which I didn't know before! hoping it just turns out to be that!

Quick Reply

Latest