The Student Room Group

Cambridge University to introduce written admissions tests

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hm. Will kids from some backgrounds be disadvantaged because they won't be able to get the coaching to pass the tests? Or will they be designed with this in mind?

Would be lovely to hear what people with more knowledge about Cambridge have to say/think...

Please see our College press release, which includes a quote from me:

http://www.lucy-cav.cam.ac.uk/news-blog/latest-news/applicants-to-the-four-mature-cambridge-colleges-not-required-to-sit-new-pr
a preview of the written assessment form has been released...

coutts_chequebook.jpg

According to a spokesperson there are now so many people getting top grades that they've had to go back to the 'traditional' system for deciding who'd benefit most from their unique tuition methods :smile:
Original post by Joinedup
a preview of the written assessment form has been released...

coutts_chequebook.jpg

:smile:

very disappointing to see a biro there...

smh
Well, I had a test on the day I went to my interviews, it was simply a part of Newnham's existing admissions process.

I'd be surprised if any of the people marking could actually read any of what I wrote, I had structures of molecules all over my page :lol:
Hm. Will kids from some backgrounds be disadvantaged because they won't be able to get the coaching to pass the tests? Or will they be designed with this in mind?

Would be lovely to hear what people with more knowledge about Cambridge have to say/think...

Cambridge already take into account in their assessment that not all applicants came through high-standard schooling environment and always been trying to assess each applicant individually and as fairly as possible regardless of their background.
Also, each aspect of application (A-level/etc grades, interview/test, PS/SAQ, reference, etc) is looked at individually and without any fixed weighting on any of them.
Introduction of written test in the wake of A-level reform has been more or less expected anyway, and it seems like they're combining this change with a move to more standardised admission procedure across all colleges, too, which I think is a very good move.

I know a few academics at Cambridge who're involved in undergraduate courses and what they really,genuinely, seriously want to make sure is to get the students who are genuinely talented and have potential, no matter what sort of school/social background they came from. Giving advantage or disadvantage to one group or the other will not benefit their own purpose at all, either academically or politically.

So my guess (and belief) is that those new test will be just another aspect of application, as all other aspects, which will be looked at individually, in relation to other aspects of application, to assess each applicant holistically. Not to be 'the decisive factor' in the application.

My only worry is that they (both Cambridge and applicants) will have to rely on one (or very limited number, I suppose) test on one day, while at standard A-level exams are done in number of modules over a few days. So if you just happen to have one bad day, it's really difficult to redeem yourself.......
Original post by Drewski
If it's truly about someone's potential rather than current ability then a lack of prep shouldn't make a difference.

Potential can be trained and come all out of practice.
For engineers and Nat scis physics I think STEP I papers will be very useful. Also the old Physics step papers aswell as PAT etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No matter how much you try and tailor a test there will always be an element of being able to practice and be coached IMO
Found the original and more detailed source of info.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/admissions-assessments

So......am I right in thinking pre-interview tests/assessments will be conducted at school/colleges of each applicant????
How are they going to make sure there won't be any cheating???
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by vincrows

So......am I right in thinking pre-interview tests/assessments will be conducted at school/colleges of each applicant????

Well they said the same day as the MAT abd Oxford ones.
At my school they just do it like a normal exam(I sat the MAT twice for Imperial Maths).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chief Wiggum
"Potential" is a bit of an airy-fairy word though, isn't it?

To me, the best predictor of potential (ie, how well you will do in the future) is how well you are currently performing.

Original post by physicsmaths
Potential can be trained and come all out of practice.
For engineers and Nat scis physics I think STEP I papers will be very useful. Also the old Physics step papers aswell as PAT etc.

They can be, but there are also tests out there that do truly reflect innate ability, rather than an ability to prepare and/or remember facts.
The aptitude tests employed by certain branches of the armed forces to test potential pilots are the kind of thing I'm talking about.
This question may seem really stupid but why are they removing UMS ?
I'm wondering whether reapplicants will have to do this, it would be a shame if they did when they may have stellar A Level grades. It almost seems like a bit of trick to be honest, handing back the baton to those who can be pay to be tutored for this kind of thing whereas with public exams there's enough information out there to ensure those who definitely have the ability and work hard will fare best.
Well they said the same day as the MAT abd Oxford ones.
At my school they just do it like a normal exam(I sat the MAT twice for Imperial Maths).

Posted from TSR Mobile

So basically the university needs to trust each school/college?
So basically the university needs to trust each school/college?

Basically yeh!
Do schools actually help students to cheat? It always happens in controlled assessments for Science subjects I know that but for admissions tests aswell?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wawasan
I'm wondering whether reapplicants will have to do this, it would be a shame if they did when they may have stellar A Level grades. It almost seems like a bit of trick to be honest, handing back the baton to those who can be pay to be tutored for this kind of thing whereas with public exams there's enough information out there to ensure those who definitely have the ability and work hard will fare best.

It's same for any exam, public or not. There're many students who're (or their parents, probably) paying for tutoring to improve their chance for public exams, like A-levels or whatever.
But the use of face-to-face interview at Cambridge (or Oxford & other some top RG for some courses) enable them to distinguish between genuinely able applicants and the ones who're just good at exam techniques because they had some coaching. I'm not saying it's 100% perfect, but it's still much better than just assessing all applicants only with their public exam grades.

That already happens for the BMAT, PAT, HAT etc.
Basically yeh!
Do schools actually help students to cheat? It always happens in controlled assessments for Science subjects I know that but for admissions tests aswell?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope most of schools/colleges play a fair game.
But I've read some posts in TSR where posters are saying their school sometime 'cheat' at A-level/IB exams.
I don't quite know how they 'cheat' because I've never heard of any example, but if a school is really desperate to send their student/s to Oxbridge, perhaps some are tempted to do that.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
That already happens for the BMAT, PAT, HAT etc.

OK thanks. :smile:
Does this mean Cambridge will stop asking for UMS scores?
Original post by colourtheory
Does this mean Cambridge will stop asking for UMS scores?

I don't think so.
It's still a good indicator for Tripos performance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending