The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Medicine Applicants 2016

Poll

How did you find the BMAT?

Hey, so I couldn't find a thread for just UCL prospective med students, so I thought I'd make one. Feel free to post any questions! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gabby07
Hey, so I couldn't find a thread for just UCL prospective med students, so I thought I'd make one. Feel free to post any questions! :biggrin:

Ahh I've been looking for this! :P
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
I've been looking for this a few days back as well! :biggrin:
Could someone launch a stalking page? I'm fairly new here and am not sure how.. :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by chehjuan
I've been looking for this a few days back as well! :biggrin:
Could someone launch a stalking page? I'm fairly new here and am not sure how.. :frown:

I think you have to be an admin to do that :frown:
Ah, subbing. Why didn't I notice there wasn't one? I would've loved to have created a popular thread for once.

What're your stats like? I'll start:

GCSE: Eight A*s, two As, one B, one C (last two in astronomy and engineering respectively, so not really the core subjects).
AS Level: AABB in chemistry, biology, physics and mathematics, respectively.
A Level: A*AAB in chemistry, biology, physics and mathematics, respectively. Plus A in Welsh Bacc Core, now accepted by UCL. :biggrin:
BMAT: Awaiting results but pretty sure I mucked it up.
Personal statement: Not the best thing I've ever written in my life but contains a few unconventional things, I think.
Work experience: Hospital, GP surgery.
Volunteering: St John Ambulance, care home.
Extracurricular (only what I could fit into my personal statement): Air cadets and guitar.

Not exactly feeling great after the BMAT to be honest and my grades aren't exactly exceptional (also, no contrasting subject :cry:).

Now somebody else's turn... :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Hydeman
Ah, subbing. Why didn't I notice there wasn't one? I would've loved to have created a popular thread for once.

What're your stats like? I'll start:

GCSE: Eight A*s, four As, one B, one C (last two in astronomy and engineering respectively, so not really the core subjects).
AS Level: AABB in chemistry, biology, physics and mathematics, respectively.
A Level: A*AAB in chemistry, biology, physics and mathematics, respectively. Plus A in Welsh Bacc Core, now accepted by UCL. :biggrin:
BMAT: Awaiting results but pretty sure I mucked it up.
Personal statement: Not the best thing I've ever written in my life but contains a few unconventional things, I think.
Work experience: Hospital, GP surgery.
Volunteering: St John Ambulance, care home.
Extracurricular (only what I could fit into my personal statement): Air cadets and guitar.

Not exactly feeling great after the BMAT to be honest and my grades aren't exactly exceptional (also, no contrasting subject :cry:).

Now somebody else's turn... :biggrin:

I'm feeling exactly the same about the BMAT.. I know I've definitely made some silly mistakes thinking back, but tbh most of it's a blur!!
The essay didn't go great for me even though I thought that would be my strong point since I do English lit. I ended up doing Q2 but had a bit of a writer's block, I couldn't think of any decent examples so my argument was pretty weak:angry:

Anyway, enough of BMAT!
Out of all the unis I've applied UCL would definitely be my first choice- such an incredible uni!!! But I don't think my chances are looking too good, especially after BMAT!

GCSEs: 8A* 4A
AS: AAAB (bio, chem, eng lit, maths)
A2 predictions: 3A* (dropped maths)
Personal statement: okayish I think??
Work experience: shadowing plastic surgeon and orthopedic consultant, volunteered for a year at a care home.
Extra Curricular: Quite a lot.. Head Girl, compete nationally in dancing, organised talent show for charity raising £1000, performed at AIDS awareness week etc..

Best of luck to everyone! All we can do now is pray for interviews:wink:
Reply 6
Original post by 0livvia
I'm feeling exactly the same about the BMAT.. I know I've definitely made some silly mistakes thinking back, but tbh most of it's a blur!!
The essay didn't go great for me even though I thought that would be my strong point since I do English lit. I ended up doing Q2 but had a bit of a writer's block, I couldn't think of any decent examples so my argument was pretty weak:angry:

Anyway, enough of BMAT!
Out of all the unis I've applied UCL would definitely be my first choice- such an incredible uni!!! But I don't think my chances are looking too good, especially after BMAT!

Work experience: shadowing plastic surgeon and orthopedic consultant, volunteered for a year at a care home.
Extra Curricular: Quite a lot.. Head Girl, compete nationally in dancing, organised talent show for charity raising £1000, performed at AIDS awareness week etc..

I felt the same about the BMAT too. :frown:
And I also did question 2 and I think I may have written off at a tangent!

My stats:-
International applicant
GCSE equivalent (Malaysian SPM): 8A+, 3A
AS-level: AAA (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics)
A-level predictions: A*A*A*a (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, AS English)
BMAT: Awaiting results
Work experience: 5 days in St George's Hospital, London
Extracurricular: Tennis, Piano and Violin

Who's next? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 0livvia

Anyway, enough of BMAT!

Your extracurriculars might just clinch it for you (plus your grades are excellent :biggrin:). I was looking at previous years' UCL medical applicants' threads and the personal statement seems to be very important since there were people with similar stats getting offers and getting rejected for no apparent reason, which does suggest that the only things different between them, the personal statement and reference, were the deciding factors.

It would be my first choice university as well. I just edited my post because I realise I exaggerated my GCSE results by a small margin. :lol: Just hoping section 1 boundaries for the BMAT are forgiving -- what a bloody mess that section was. I did the same question as you and I think I addressed all the points in the question and wrote quite clearly so I'm hoping to get 3A or better. :smile:

Honestly, I'll be pretty devastated if I don't get into UCL because of that stupid section 1. :mad: It's such a great university and the course is more or less unique. :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by chehjuan
I felt the same about the BMAT too. :frown:
And I also did question 2 and I think I may have written off at a tangent!

My stats:-
International applicant
GCSE equivalent (Malaysian SPM): 8A+, 3A
AS-level: AAA (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics)
A-level predictions: A*A*A*a (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, AS English)
BMAT: Awaiting results
Work experience: 5 days in St George's Hospital, London
Extracurricular: Tennis, Piano and Violin

Who's next? :smile:

Agreed, so worried about the section 1 :frown:. I still don't understand how you can expect to finish the paper if they're giving 3 huge passages and expect you to interpret data etc in under 2 minutes... I went question 3, hopefully it's at least 3A.

My stats:
GCSEs: 10A*s 1A
AS: AAAA (Bio, Chem, Maths, Econ) + predicted A in AS FM this year
A2 predictions: A*A*A (Bio, Maths, Chem)
Work Experience/Extra curricular: Don't think this'll be particularly helpful to anyone as I'm guessing we've all done something worthwhile and unique else we won't be applying! I feel it's more about what you say about this rather than what we've done that's important.

UCL first choice, gorgeous course and would desperately love an offer from here. Let's see after the BMAT I guess.

Anyone else? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azula
Yo! Thanks for making this thread, I too have been looking for it XD
I've applied to UCL, Imperial, Cambridge and Bristol :smile:

Three BMAT universities and Bristol. :redface: Are you insane? xD How did your BMAT go?
Reply 10
HI ALL

International Applicant
GCSEs: 5A*s 4As
IB: 43 predicted
BMAT: honestly, probably not more than 4, 4, 2A
Work Experience: 2 weeks surgery, some day attachments
ECAs: Piano, Violin Grade 8, DoE equivalent gold, swimming (nothing much tbh)

UCL's my UK first choice, but I'm honestly not expecting an interview after the BMAT :frown:
Hello! The Bmat was just horrribe and reading the official Bmat thread where I can see all of the questions I got wrong makes it so much worse. i got bery nervous in S2 and therefore made stupid stupid mistakes. Honestly not expecting much from that exam, I am considering not even looking at the marks when they come out. It is just too depressing.
Ucl would be my first choice because I love the Uni and the course that is offers for medicine. It is truly unique in the opportunities that it provides for students. However now, it seems like UCL is a wasted application :frown:
Yay! UCL is my absolute favourite choice, hoping my BMAT went okay~
Reply 13
Original post by annaliisa123
Hello! The Bmat was just horrribe and reading the official Bmat thread where I can see all of the questions I got wrong makes it so much worse. i got bery nervous in S2 and therefore made stupid stupid mistakes. Honestly not expecting much from that exam, I am considering not even looking at the marks when they come out. It is just too depressing.
Ucl would be my first choice because I love the Uni and the course that is offers for medicine. It is truly unique in the opportunities that it provides for students. However now, it seems like UCL is a wasted application :frown:

I'm the same! It's the timing that got to me I think, especially in S1, I had to guess quite a lot near the end! I'm going to try and stop looking at that thread though because realistically no one can fully remember the questions, and the answers are only people's opinions at the moment!!

Down feel too down hearted about the BMAT though- remember UCL look at all aspects of your application holistically! In previous years there have been lots of people with offers who had lower than average BMAT scores!:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Also, does anyone know whether UCL contextualise data? For example, my school has quite a low percentage of students achieving 5 A*-C grades at GCSE and the average A level grades are lower than average as well! I was wondering whether this would go in my favour and strengthen my grades slightly?:tongue:
Original post by 0livvia
I'm the same! It's the timing that got to me I think, especially in S1, I had to guess quite a lot near the end! I'm going to try and stop looking at that thread though because realistically no one can fully remember the questions, and the answers are only people's opinions at the moment!!

Down feel too down hearted about the BMAT though- remember UCL look at all aspects of your application hollistically! In previous years there have been lots of people with offers who had lower than average BMAT scores!:smile:

Hopefully I will receive an early christmas miracle haha :smile:
Your stats are very impressive, best of luck in your application to UCL!!!
Reply 16
Original post by Hydeman
Three BMAT universities and Bristol. :redface: Are you insane? xD How did your BMAT go?

Na, I just applied to the unis I liked the most :tongue:
I can't really tell how it went, hoping it was ok :smile: What about you??
Original post by Azula
Yo! Thanks for making this thread, I too have been looking for it XD
I've applied to UCL, Imperial, Cambridge and Bristol :smile:

Just out of interest, did you bother sitting the UKCAT then?

And I'm really pleased this thread has been made, I'd looked for one before and not found it. :biggrin:

UCL was an extremely last minute choice for me (as in, the night before submitting my form I didn't have a 4th choice and I hadn't even looked at UCL since I didn't want to apply to more than 1 BMAT uni and then my mom suggested it and it seemed to fit my stats pretty well and be a pretty great uni/course and I just went for it... so, yeah) I just really hope with BMAT that the holistic thing is not a joke because wow it did not go super great. (Also, if I somehow managed to get in I would have to take the language modules as I don't have one at GCSE which is also slightly worrying me)
Original post by ForeverDay
Just out of interest, did you bother sitting the UKCAT then?

And I'm really pleased this thread has been made, I'd looked for one before and not found it. :biggrin:

UCL was an extremely last minute choice for me (as in, the night before submitting my form I didn't have a 4th choice and I hadn't even looked at UCL since I didn't want to apply to more than 1 BMAT uni and then my mom suggested it and it seemed to fit my stats pretty well and be a pretty great uni/course and I just went for it... so, yeah) I just really hope with BMAT that the holistic thing is not a joke because wow it did not go super great. (Also, if I somehow managed to get in I would have to take the language modules as I don't have one at GCSE which is also slightly worrying me)

UCL was a 4th choice for you!? :redface: Where else did you apply?? :smile:
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
UCL was a 4th choice for you!? :redface: Where else did you apply?? :smile:

Haha, no, not in terms of 4th that I'd like to go to, 4th in terms of 'I hadn't even considered applying there because it was a BMAT uni and I'm only applying to one of them'. Then, when I couldn't find a UKCAT uni I really loved in the distance range I was looking at I had a look at the uni and course and really really liked it. So, yeah, not 4th choice, just one I hadn't allowed myself to consider before :biggrin:
My other unis are: Nottingham, Cambridge and QMUL (Barts). What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending