The Student Room Group

Cambridge University to introduce written admissions tests

Scroll to see replies

now that exams are all at the end of summer, universities don't have a reliable measure of assessing potential students academic ability.
Original post by vincrows
I don't think so.
It's still a good indicator for Tripos performance.

But the whole point is that A-Levels are now linear, so surely a majority of students won't be applying with UMS?
Original post by colourtheory
But the whole point is that A-Levels are now linear, so surely a majority of students won't be applying with UMS?

Only for selected subjects, for the time being and it takes a few more years until all subjects (?) become linear.
(Click "Timescales and subjects for A and AS changes":wink:
http://www.cife.org.uk/article/the-new-a-level-and-gcse-exams/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 43
Only for selected subjects, for the time being and it takes a few more years until all subjects (?) become linear.
(Click "Timescales and subjects for A and AS changes":wink:
http://www.cife.org.uk/article/the-new-a-level-and-gcse-exams/

Also I imagine some schools will continue to have pupils taking AS-levels, especially if they are aiming for Cambridge.

So there will be a mix of people with and without UMS.

I think the advice for anyone with lower GCSEs will be to take AS-levels (if possible) to demonstrate an improving academic trajectory.
Original post by Duke Glacia
This question may seem really stupid but why are they removing UMS ?

Because Michael Gove is a massive ****trumpet and teachers aren't as good as lawyers at filing lawsuits to stop his whims.
Original post by jneill
Also I imagine some schools will continue to have pupils taking AS-levels, especially if they are aiming for Cambridge.

So there will be a mix of people with and without UMS.

I think the advice for anyone with lower GCSEs will be to take AS-levels (if possible) to demonstrate an improving academic trajectory.

One minute.
UMS is gone?
So people don't get marks after they finish the full two year A level course ? Just a grade ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by physicsmaths
One minute.
UMS is gone?
So people don't get marks after they finish the full two year A level course ? Just a grade ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to an exams officer elsewhere on TSR the standard results sheet won't include UMS for AS or the full A-level, but it can be requested if necessary (e.g. if applying to a uni that wants it).
Original post by jneill
According to an exams officer elsewhere on TSR the standard results sheet won't include UMS for AS or the full A-level, but it can be requested if necessary (e.g. if applying to a uni that wants it).

That is ridiculous. However, isn't that how CIE works? (Cambridge can't complain too much, if their own exam board doesn't follow the principles it wants for uni admissions!)
It's same for any exam, public or not. There're many students who're (or their parents, probably) paying for tutoring to improve their chance for public exams, like A-levels or whatever.
But the use of face-to-face interview at Cambridge (or Oxford & other some top RG for some courses) enable them to distinguish between genuinely able applicants and the ones who're just good at exam techniques because they had some coaching. I'm not saying it's 100% perfect, but it's still much better than just assessing all applicants only with their public exam grades.

The interview is definitely a good way of unpicking this and as you say, not perfect by any means. The issue is that with public exams like AS and GCSE, the marginal benefit of tutoring is pretty low since anybody with the initiative to do well (certainly at this level) can get access to the mass of info on the internet that they need, be it mark schemes, examiners reports etc. With rogue standardized testing unfortunately it isn't the same and its a problem in America as well where standardized admissions tests favour those who can access those with the "know-how" (e.g. previous successful test takers) and students with pretty good GPA scores can be outwitted by some entrance test they've had much less preparation for.
Reply 49
Original post by shamika
That is ridiculous. However, isn't that how CIE works? (Cambridge can't complain too much, if their own exam board doesn't follow the principles it wants for uni admissions!)

Agreed, and yes :smile:
Reply 50
Just a thought on all this... I imagine, given this will be the first year Cambridge have implemented the new regime, they will stlll err on the side on caution when assessing the test results and therefore are likely to continue to interview a high proportion of applicants (currently 80%+) even those with more marginal pre-interview test scores.
Original post by jneill
Agreed, and yes :smile:

I donnt see any benefit of having to request marks.
Just stupid tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I donnt see any benefit of having to request marks.
Just stupid tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so happy for you they hadn't introduced a pre-interview spelling test.
Thought you swore to spell correctly if you got an offer.....

:tongue:
I thought Cambridge already did this for potential humanity based students. :redface:

I am a compulsive liar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually know how to spell. I won spelling competitions in like primary skl and yr 7/8. Grammar iz the effrt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Grammar iz the effrt.

@physicsmaths is Nigel Molesworth redivivus on TSR, as any fule kno. :biggrin:
I actually know how to spell. I won spelling competitions in like primary skl and yr 7/8. Grammar iz the effrt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you reached the peak of your spelling ability in yr 7/8, then.
One day, if a life as a maths genius doesn't work out, you can open a tattoo parlour. Spelling skill not essential, apparently....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/10402448/Hilarious-photos-of-misspelt-tattoos.html
Reply 58
Of course when I'm applying this happens:s-smilie:fml
Original post by ozmo19
Of course when I'm applying this happens:s-smilie:fml

Because Gove's 'reforms' weren't enough of a slap in the face apparently

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending