The Student Room Group

Should I take Graphics?

Poll

What dt should i take

I'm in year 9 and our school says that dt is compulsory. should I take graphics. I'm not that arty and I can't draw. I was thinking of food or textiles but I can't make up my want. I like cooking but I hate the teacher. I'm really not good at resistant materials. My mum wants me to take graphics. Which one should I do?(Vote in the poll)
(edited 8 years ago)
No.
Reply 2
What's the exam board and specific name of the GCSE (e.g AQA Graphic products) you're talking about?
I don't know how similar this is as I'm from Scorland and did standard fades but I did graphics and I thought it was awful, depends on the person though:smile:
Reply 4
I'm not sure if its aqa or edexcel
Reply 5
Original post by crisy1706
I'm not sure if its aqa or edexcel

Well I'm taking AQA Graphic products and I'd say it's a good subject to take if you enjoy drawing.

60% of the GCSE is coursework (which is mostly designing a product) and the other 40% is the written exam, which is probably one of the least stressful exams I've come across (assuming you enjoy drawing).

Here's a past paper to give you an idea of what the written exam is like
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-45501-QP-JUN14.PDF
I did AQA graphics and I loved it! Since you could choose the theme of your project out of twelve (I think), it was quite enjoyable. I chose to make a board game :biggrin: It's really good if you like making stuff, but I don't know whether it's for you as quite a bit of the coursework (and exam) is drawing stuff :dontknow:. The 2014 past paper that's been mentioned by ben2000 is the one I did and the question I remember clearly was 2a, a barcode is a series of black strips of different widths, it makes me laugh how that's even an exam question XD
It's a fun subject when you start off but gets extremely stressful. I'm doing it right now and I find so much of my time is spent doing my graphics work that I'm not getting time to revise other subjects. I thought it'd be a creative outlet but a lot of it is writing and research and it's not even fully about how artistic you are, but about how your portfolio looks and how you evaluate your product etc. Everyone in my graphics class (that's 30 people) regrets choosing it for GCSE. If you really want to do it, go for it, but remember it will take so, so much time and patience and effort so only do it if you'll be fully dedicated.
Reply 8
Original post by ben2000
Well I'm taking AQA Graphic products and I'd say it's a good subject to take if you enjoy drawing.

60% of the GCSE is coursework (which is mostly designing a product) and the other 40% is the written exam, which is probably one of the least stressful exams I've come across (assuming you enjoy drawing).

Here's a past paper to give you an idea of what the written exam is like
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-45501-QP-JUN14.PDF

Sounds like i'm doing AQA from the option talk. thx a lot

Quick Reply

Latest