The Student Room Group

CAN I STILL GET AN A* ?biology wjec

For biology I have 2 exams and coursework in AS.
BY1 (exam)
BY2 (exam)
BY3 (coursework) last year I got B FOR BY1, B FOR BY2 and A FOR BY3.

This year I am doing A2. I have put down on resitting BY2 and BY1 but I think this is too much pressure and want to just resit BY2. However If I manage to get A's in BY2, BY4, BY5 and BY6 - will my outcome be an A because of the B for BY1? Do you need to get A's in all modules to get A*? Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by aladdin818
For biology I have 2 exams and coursework in AS.
BY1 (exam)
BY2 (exam)
BY3 (coursework) last year I got B FOR BY1, B FOR BY2 and A FOR BY3.

This year I am doing A2. I have put down on resitting BY2 and BY1 but I think this is too much pressure and want to just resit BY2. However If I manage to get A's in BY2, BY4, BY5 and BY6 - will my outcome be an A because of the B for BY1? Do you need to get A's in all modules to get A*? Thank you :smile:

You need to look at the marks,not the grades. You need to get at least 480 UMS overall and at least 270 UMS from the A2 units. With the marks you have, re-sitting AS units is not going to help you get an A* but it will increase your chances of getting an A.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
You need to look at the marks,not the grades. You need to get at least 480 UMS overall and at least 270 UMS from the A2 units. With the marks you have, re-sitting AS units is not going to help you get an A* but it will increase your chances of getting an A.

BY1 -92 (96 was an A)/120
BY2 - 88/120
BY3 - 52/60

that's 232 / 300

I would need 270/300 for A2?
Reply 3
BY2 - 88/120
BY3 - 52/60

that's 232 / 300

Yes.
Reply 4
BY2 - 88/120
BY3 - 52/60

that's 232 / 300

That's fine - you need 480 minimum overall to get an A* but 232+270 gives you 502.

You need 248 points at A2 (not counting resits) to get an A overall (480/600), and 90% average at A2 (270/300) to get an A*.
Reply 5
Original post by rachel x
That's fine - you need 480 minimum overall to get an A* but 232+270 gives you 502.

You need 248 points at A2 (not counting resits) to get an A overall (480/600), and 90% average at A2 (270/300) to get an A*.

Hiya I am resitting my BY2 paper which I got 88/120 in and I am NOT resitting my BY1 paper I got 92/120. If I get high UMS marks in my A2 papers, can I get an A* overall for biology? My courseowork last year was an A and hopefully this year will be the same. Thank you. :smile:
Reply 6
can I get an A* overall for biology?

If you get at least 270/300 in the A2 units then you will get an A*.
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
If you get at least 270/300 in the A2 units then you will get an A*.

Ah okay thanks :smile:
Reply 8
Hiya I am resitting my BY2 paper which I got 88/120 in and I am NOT resitting my BY1 paper I got 92/120. If I get high UMS marks in my A2 papers, can I get an A* overall for biology? My courseowork last year was an A and hopefully this year will be the same. Thank you. :smile:

You need:
an A overall (looks promising with your AS results, you're not that far off an A but you'll need to work hard)
90% average across A2 units (doesn't include AS units)

So all you need to do is get an average of 90% or above (270 UMS total assuming a 6 unit A level), this will bring your total UMS above the 480 threshold anyway so then you'd have an A*. It's going to be a lot of effort though! If you're not revising already, you're late to the game (same as me aha..)
May i ask how you are revising biology because i am resitting both by1 and by2 this year alongside my A2 by4 and by5. I struggle with revising biology and did terrible in my mock, please could you provide good tips please?
Original post by RSSM09
May i ask how you are revising biology because i am resitting both by1 and by2 this year alongside my A2 by4 and by5. I struggle with revising biology and did terrible in my mock, please could you provide good tips please?

Hi :smile:
I have found that doing summary notes that are very condensed really helpful.. So I just absorb vital info..because there's ALOT to take on. I also just go by learning essays and practising essays, because there's quite a few of them for each topic. Also past papers.. just doing loads of those.. I haven't started doing them yet but will be soon.. hopefully. :P

Those are some things that have helped me. You should try it out and see what works best for you! :smile:
Hi :smile:
I have found that doing summary notes that are very condensed really helpful.. So I just absorb vital info..because there's ALOT to take on. I also just go by learning essays and practising essays, because there's quite a few of them for each topic. Also past papers.. just doing loads of those.. I haven't started doing them yet but will be soon.. hopefully. :P

Those are some things that have helped me. You should try it out and see what works best for you! :smile:

Thank you! I do exactly that; I do my notes for each topic but when I apply my knowledge to the past paper questions I don't seem to know what each answers requires for me to get marks? Could you give me advice on how I can tackle this please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RSSM09
Thank you! I do exactly that; I do my notes for each topic but when I apply my knowledge to the past paper questions I don't seem to know what each answers requires for me to get marks? Could you give me advice on how I can tackle this please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had the same problem, Do several past papers whilst looking at the mark scheme - so you're practically doing the correct answer all the time.. then eventually when you feel comfortable enough let that go and start doing it from your own knowledge. First couple of go's with past papers, use your notes, books AND THE MARK SCHEME etc. just so you get the feel on what they're expecting and how to answer. I would aim doing 4 - 5 x biology past papers a week
I had the same problem, Do several past papers whilst looking at the mark scheme - so you're practically doing the correct answer all the time.. then eventually when you feel comfortable enough let that go and start doing it from your own knowledge. First couple of go's with past papers, use your notes, books AND THE MARK SCHEME etc. just so you get the feel on what they're expecting and how to answer. I would aim doing 4 - 5 x biology past papers a week

I will try that thank you so much! And I hope you do really well with all your exams too! After I do all those past papers and there's no more to do what shall I do after that?

Also, will you be going to university this year? If so what course and which unis have you applied too, if you don't mind me asking :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RSSM09
I will try that thank you so much! And I hope you do really well with all your exams too! After I do all those past papers and there's no more to do what shall I do after that?

Also, will you be going to university this year? If so what course and which unis have you applied too, if you don't mind me asking :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thanks! I hope you do well ;] smash those exams. After you're done keep reviewing them, look at mark schemes until you drilled what they want into your head.

I've applied to Cardiff, Bath, Kings, UCL and Aston for pharmacy :smile: you?
Ah thanks! I hope you do well ;] smash those exams. After you're done keep reviewing them, look at mark schemes until you drilled what they want into your head.

I've applied to Cardiff, Bath, Kings, UCL and Aston for pharmacy :smile: you?

Thank you :smile: that's a really good course; have you had offers then?
I applied for biomedical science at Cardiff, Bristol (UWE), Queen Mary and Exeter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RSSM09
Thank you :smile: that's a really good course; have you had offers then?
I applied for biomedical science at Cardiff, Bristol (UWE), Queen Mary and Exeter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou haha, but I am strongly considering changing my course :/ depends on my results! I have from Bath, Aston, Kings College and UCL. Cardiff rejected me following an awful interview! That's good! Do you have any idea where you will firm? :]
Thankyou haha, but I am strongly considering changing my course :/ depends on my results! I have from Bath, Aston, Kings College and UCL. Cardiff rejected me following an awful interview! That's good! Do you have any idea where you will firm? :]

How come the change of course? Yes I received offers from all unis except for Exeter; I'm still waiting for them to give me a decision; but fingers crossed they do as I hope to make them by firm choice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest