The Student Room Group

Is it no use repeating an O'Level after a year?

I got a B in my Maths O'level and I wanted to repeat but someone told me that if I repeat an O'Level after a year has passed since my first appearance in that subject, the new result is then, not considered in the equivalency. Is it right?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
Original post by bakhita
I got a B in my Maths O'level and I wanted to repeat but someone told me that if I repeat an O'Level after a year has passed since my first appearance in that subject, the new result is then, not considered in the equivalency. Is it right?

Erm by O Level do you mean GCSE??? I think that might be true but I'm not too sure but why do you want to resit it if you got a B - is it worth going over everything again?
Reply 3
Original post by #sarahsmith2
Erm by O Level do you mean GCSE??? I think that might be true but I'm not too sure but why do you want to resit it if you got a B - is it worth going over everything again?

I know B isn't bad but since I was preparing my A' Level Maths, the GCSE (yep that's same as O'Level) topics are all the basis of A' Level syllabus and any way, GCSE just seems to be soo easy now that I'm sure I can score A* (I could even get it the first time I took exams but I had very little time to prepare)
Original post by bakhita
I know B isn't bad but since I was preparing my A' Level Maths, the GCSE (yep that's same as O'Level) topics are all the basis of A' Level syllabus and any way, GCSE just seems to be soo easy now that I'm sure I can score A* (I could even get it the first time I took exams but I had very little time to prepare)

Okay haha just making sure - its been a long time since they've been called O Levels! If you've done A Level maths then you won't need to revise a lot or anything and you'll still get an A* but no one will really look at your GCSE grade if you got a good grade in the A level - I'd say if you feel like that B is going to haunt you forever then retake the exam - it won't be too much extra effort on your part... but honestly no ones really going to look at it - what grade did you get in A level maths?
Reply 5
Okay haha just making sure - its been a long time since they've been called O Levels! If you've done A Level maths then you won't need to revise a lot or anything and you'll still get an A* but no one will really look at your GCSE grade if you got a good grade in the A level - I'd say if you feel like that B is going to haunt you forever then retake the exam - it won't be too much extra effort on your part... but honestly no ones really going to look at it - what grade did you get in A level maths?

Yeah...I know it wouldn't take a lot of effort therefore I thought I'd repeat but really you are right, I'd better pull out all the stops in my A' Level. I still have to take A' Level exams in May/June 2016.
Reply 6
For information - GCE 'O' levels still exist in certain parts of the world by CIE.

It was replaced by the easier GCSE in Britain in 1988.
Original post by lig1729
For information - GCE 'O' levels still exist in certain parts of the world by CIE.

It was replaced by the easier GCSE in Britain in 1988.

Haha alright 😂😂👌
Original post by bakhita
Yeah...I know it wouldn't take a lot of effort therefore I thought I'd repeat but really you are right, I'd better pull out all the stops in my A' Level. I still have to take A' Level exams in May/June 2016.

Yeah that's probably the best idea - good luck for them! Are you doing the AS this year or the actual A Level?
Reply 9
Yeah that's probably the best idea - good luck for them! Are you doing the AS this year or the actual A Level?

Just AS in May/June 2016
Original post by bakhita
Just AS in May/June 2016

Me too haha we'll be doing them together :smile: - what board/ which extra unit are you taking?
Reply 11
Me too haha we'll be doing them together :smile: - what board/ which extra unit are you taking?

Oh Good! *high-five* me CIE..n u?

Quick Reply

Latest