The Student Room Group

Course Choice Problem! (for s5 going into s6)

For my s6 course choices, I have to pick 4-5 subjects. I have no clue what to do. So far I have my eye set on advanced history and higher geography, however my school has the tendency to not run these subjects. I've only been doing 3 highers this year so I'd prefer to not do any nat 5s in s6. For my s5 prelims i have done Higher English - A (80%) Higher French - A (80%) Higher History - A (80%) Nat 5 Geography - A (92%) Nat 5 Biology - C (57%) and Nat 5 Maths - A (71%) (Nat 5 maths is a resit from last year, I'm happy with the A I got a D in the exam)
And for actual Nat 5s I have English, History, Modern Studies, French at As, Art at a C and Maths as D.

As you can probably tell, I really enjoy social subjects and English rather than science and maths. I'm thinking of applying for history and archaeology at uni, and so far it seems to be going well. I'm just worried about if the courses don't run (higher geography hasn't run for the past couple of years but we have a new geography teacher but i'm not sure if he can take a higher class, even if there was demand) With the uni course I have in mind, i'm not sure what other subjects to take. I know nobody but me can decide but I really am stuck for other choices, even without a backup.
Original post by natashac99
For my s6 course choices, I have to pick 4-5 subjects. I have no clue what to do. So far I have my eye set on advanced history and higher geography, however my school has the tendency to not run these subjects. I've only been doing 3 highers this year so I'd prefer to not do any nat 5s in s6. For my s5 prelims i have done Higher English - A (80%) Higher French - A (80%) Higher History - A (80%) Nat 5 Geography - A (92%) Nat 5 Biology - C (57%) and Nat 5 Maths - A (71%) (Nat 5 maths is a resit from last year, I'm happy with the A I got a D in the exam)
And for actual Nat 5s I have English, History, Modern Studies, French at As, Art at a C and Maths as D.

As you can probably tell, I really enjoy social subjects and English rather than science and maths. I'm thinking of applying for history and archaeology at uni, and so far it seems to be going well. I'm just worried about if the courses don't run (higher geography hasn't run for the past couple of years but we have a new geography teacher but i'm not sure if he can take a higher class, even if there was demand) With the uni course I have in mind, i'm not sure what other subjects to take. I know nobody but me can decide but I really am stuck for other choices, even without a backup.

First of all, well done on your superb prelim results!

I think that it would be very beneficial for your studies at university and future career if you did Advanced Higher History and Higher Geography. So, you should really push your school for answers on whether you can do these subjects or not in school. If they don't. You could learn them out of school and sit the exam in school, or worst case scenario, you could move schools for S6.

Alongside these subjects, you could maybe take Advanced French. Universities and employers tend to like languages.
Also you could see if other schools in your area teach these subjects and you could go there for the periods it will be taught, I know one of my friends is doing that this year for higher Spanish as our school doesn't teach it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending