The Student Room Group

Guys, what do want to know about us girls?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andy98
Finally! Someone honest

Ugh. It takes so much courage to be honest the way I am! If I hadn't grown up with so many siblings I probably wouldn't be this way! Have you told every single girl you liked about how you felt? Have you come out and said everything you wanted to in every single situation where you felt shy or vulnerable?

Original post by Anonymous
why do you cry harassment if we just say your beautiful or look nice :angry: i's a complement.

We don't say it's harassment if you tell us we're beautiful or we look nice. However, if you're telling me that in public and I don't know you, or if you whistle/honk at me, that's catcalling. And it is (albeit minor) verbal harassment. It sends a message to girls that they're only worth their bodies. Being a victim of hypersexualization isn't fun. Many years ago, a kid kept touching girls' butts at my school and the principal said we should be flattered he liked our butts more than everyone else's. Does that seem right? That's like saying I should be flattered that someone chose to catcall me, and not anyone else. It's verbal harassment.

I once had a guy tell me when he realized how bad it was. He visited China, and because he was a black guy who did bodybuilding, he didn't look much like anything rural farmers had seen before. They crowded around him, touching his head, touching his arm, staring, calling out at him... That's when he realized what it's like for those around to see you as nothing more than a physical entity, and he realized how dehumanizing it was. Try to put yourself in our shoes.
Original post by cherryred90s
I wear one everyday, they're aren't expensive. They cost around £2 which would last you a month.
Perhaps buy some underwear and throw those out?

I'll probably figure out a better system when I get to uni but for now, I just have my set of nice underwear and my set of gross underwear.
You mad that Jesus was male tho?
Original post by liquity
Oh right thank you, yeah I did I just assumed this was my thread and I was wondering who had dug it up but wow, really well remembered!
I think it is possible to teach people how to be respectful through like setting a good example and showing someone the social constructs of being respectful because ultimately that's what it's all about really isn't it, 'respect' is dictated by social rules. Interesting question though, why do you ask?

It's because I'm always worried that I'm not following the "social rules" that nobody writes down on a piece of paper. It only takes one person to point out that I'm breaking the rules, to set me back years :frown:
Original post by shawn_o1
It's because I'm always worried that I'm not following the "social rules" that nobody writes down on a piece of paper. It only takes one person to point out that I'm breaking the rules, to set me back years :frown:

Aww, I'm sure you're not doing that bad a job! I get the same thing sometimes, if someone points out something negative about me I get this crushing tightening sensation in my chest where I can't breathe and I just think about it way too much! I'm sure that's what you do too, overthinking it thinking that you're really embarrassing yourself when you really aren't! What kind of social rules are we talking about here, maybe I can try to help?
Reply 85
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
But when a girl says " Some jerks are attractive and if you're looking for a physical relationship, they're fun. "

It's all good?

I cri 2 :c

:h:
Original post by liquity
Aww, I'm sure you're not doing that bad a job! I get the same thing sometimes, if someone points out something negative about me I get this crushing tightening sensation in my chest where I can't breathe and I just think about it way too much! I'm sure that's what you do too, overthinking it thinking that you're really embarrassing yourself when you really aren't! What kind of social rules are we talking about here, maybe I can try to help?

hmm, well I do go to work now, I keep my mouth shut during my commute and only talk on the phone. I have been cycling with a group of people but never really joined in any of their conversations, maybe it's because I prefer talking to one person at a time about things that matter to me. (they're all much older people with families to look after)
So the "social rules" probably arise in social situations I've never been comfortable in, such that I avoid.
Original post by defenestrated
because we're always being lied to about how big 8 inches is :wink:

Ahaha love it. On that note, why generally do girls get more annoyed about banter? Obviously this doesnt apply to all but i find telling any sort of joke that is edgy or personal comes off badly. For example a fat boy will get laughed at and called fat all the time and it makes no difference to him, or a tall boy will always be called lanky, or a short one midget etc etc and it doesnt bother them however girls tend to get upset by this. Similarly if I make a gendered or transgressive joke to a boy ie no wonder you cant drive, changing gear and steering is multitasking or a racist/sexist joke its hilarious. Girls not so much.

Secondly why do girls say what they dont mean, expect you to psychically understand how they've interpreted everything and most importantly expect blokes to make the first move or indeed give obviously contradictory signals (for example i had to mediate between two friends who went out, got drunk and she invited him back and kissed him then slapped him when he tried to go further and threw him out. How was he meant to know lol)
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
Ahaha love it. On that note, why generally do girls get more annoyed about banter? Obviously this doesnt apply to all but i find telling any sort of joke that is edgy or personal comes off badly. For example a fat boy will get laughed at and called fat all the time and it makes no difference to him, or a tall boy will always be called lanky, or a short one midget etc etc and it doesnt bother them however girls tend to get upset by this. Similarly if I make a gendered or transgressive joke to a boy ie no wonder you cant drive, changing gear and steering is multitasking or a racist/sexist joke its hilarious. Girls not so much.

Secondly why do girls say what they dont mean, expect you to psychically understand how they've interpreted everything and most importantly expect blokes to make the first move or indeed give obviously contradictory signals (for example i had to mediate between two friends who went out, got drunk and she invited him back and kissed him then slapped him when he tried to go further and threw him out. How was he meant to know lol)

it depends, are you actually good friends with the girl before you say stuff like that? I think it'd be the same with a boy, but if a girl said something rude for the banter
it just doesn't seem as much like a joke, I guess?
and with the sexist thing probably a lot of girls interpret jokes like that as actual misogyny, most likely because of how feminism is represented nowadays

Lol I'm guilty of expecting people to pick up things I haven't said :colondollar:
normally you think you're being more obvious than you actually are, or the other person just doesn't read between the lines at all
that one girl probably acted like that bc she was drunk? idk
it depends, are you actually good friends with the girl before you say stuff like that? I think it'd be the same with a boy, but if a girl said something rude for the banter
it just doesn't seem as much like a joke, I guess?
and with the sexist thing probably a lot of girls interpret jokes like that as actual misogyny, most likely because of how feminism is represented nowadays

Lol I'm guilty of expecting people to pick up things I haven't said :colondollar:
normally you think you're being more obvious than you actually are, or the other person just doesn't read between the lines at all
that one girl probably acted like that bc she was drunk? idk

Yeah i was but a joke is still a joke aha, I've had random people tell me jokes - they're still funny. I find it hilarious when girls say the same sort of stuff in no small part because its unexpected.

I mean why aha, a joke is exactly that, i dont understand the inclination to take it seriously.

I'm not remotely obvious lol for good reason but my point is why dont girls come up and be all 'i like yous go out with me?' rather than be contradictory for a while then eventually say they did like you at one point? This is anecdotal and not all from my personal experience but i think they're interesting questions. I have been told before that they expected me to approach them and it was an odd conversation but suffice to say somehow it was alluded to that a woman doesnt need to approach a man, they should have the man approach them. Question is then, why?
Yeah i was but a joke is still a joke aha, I've had random people tell me jokes - they're still funny. I find it hilarious when girls say the same sort of stuff in no small part because its unexpected.

I mean why aha, a joke is exactly that, i dont understand the inclination to take it seriously.

I'm not remotely obvious lol for good reason but my point is why dont girls come up and be all 'i like yous go out with me?' rather than be contradictory for a while then eventually say they did like you at one point? This is anecdotal and not all from my personal experience but i think they're interesting questions. I have been told before that they expected me to approach them and it was an odd conversation but suffice to say somehow it was alluded to that a woman doesnt need to approach a man, they should have the man approach them. Question is then, why?

I mean like you might not know it's a joke, if someone random came up to me and said something rude, even if it was in a friendly way I'd be like ......................
and not find it funny

either they're just shy or it's because a lot of people find it weird if the girl asks the guy, don't know why, but they're probably aware of that
I mean like you might not know it's a joke, if someone random came up to me and said something rude, even if it was in a friendly way I'd be like ......................
and not find it funny

either they're just shy or it's because a lot of people find it weird if the girl asks the guy, don't know why, but they're probably aware of that

I mean i was asking about that disparity lol, why that specific reaction to the random person.

Fair enough lol, cant really argue with that.
I mean i was asking about that disparity lol, why that specific reaction to the random person.

Fair enough lol, cant really argue with that.

because you know friends are joking
Original post by therecovery
why do you like it when we ignore you all?
why do girls like jerks?

We don't all like this. Not at all. If someone ignores me or acts like a bellend I lose interest very quickly and cut contact.
Reply 94
why do u all hate me?

is it the memes?
Reply 95
Original post by zanner
why do u all hate me?

is it the memes?

i dont hate you...:smile:
Reply 96
Original post by mkap
i dont hate you...:smile:

i was jk but i have a srs question

is there any proof behind the 'girls are best at multitasking' thing

i hear it a lot
Reply 97
Maybe because from a young age girls recognise that their mothers or other motherly figures handle themselves quite differently to men. I grew up with two brothers, a father and then a step-father, yet me and my mother, if it came down to it, would be the most sensitive members of our family.

So upbringing could be a factor or possibly how our brains function with the different hormones between the two genders.
Reply 98
Original post by zanner
i was jk but i have a srs question

is there any proof behind the 'girls are best at multitasking' thing

i hear it a lot

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-24645100
because you know friends are joking

Most men i know will happily joke with a stranger, my question is why do you - as you admitted - feel this random person making a joke is inadmissible to your sensibilities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending