The Student Room Group

Help with subject course choices!!!!

Hi, I'm currently going into my last year of high school and am unsure on what subjects to take. I currently take 5 highers, maths, English, German, history and chemistry which I also took at national 5 level alongside national 5 biology, design and manufacturing and health and food technology. As you can see I have chosen a wide variety of subjects. At the moment, I'm interested in the idea of working around a law and crime kind of job but I don't have an actual plan for what I want to do when I leave school. I don't want to take more than 2 advanced highers but probably just one advanced higher, maybe history? I was considering taking national 5 Spanish or something to do with crime/law but don't know what subjects would be good for that? Please get back with your suggestions, it would be a great help, thanks!!
Reply 1
Original post by ROC10
If you would potentially like to do Law at university, I would imagine a decent/good grade in Higher English would be a necessity in most cases.

However, you haven't even done English at National 5 level so your school may not allow you to do Higher next year. If you work hard though, it could be achievable. What was the last level of English you did?
You might want to consider looking into studying Higher or at least N5 English next year.

Hope this helps! :smile:

What? Did they not say theyre going higher english this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Your subjects look good! Have yoy maybe considered taking higher modern studies or politics? May not be a necessity but it kinda ties in with law. If all goes to plan this year, you could probably take things calmly next year, you seem all set

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ROC10
If you would potentially like to do Law at university, I would imagine a decent/good grade in Higher English would be a necessity in most cases.

However, you haven't even done English at National 5 level so your school may not allow you to do Higher next year. If you work hard though, it could be achievable. What was the last level of English you did?
You might want to consider looking into studying Higher or at least N5 English next year.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Hi, sorry I didn't make it clear in the question but I did English, maths, chemistry, history and German at national 5 level last year and am doing them all this year but at higher level. Thanks for your help, I think English will be a key subject and I was thinking of maybe taking advance higher history. I was considering taking Spanish at national 5 level but do you think that would be doable in 1 year?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by alana_p
Your subjects look good! Have yoy maybe considered taking higher modern studies or politics? May not be a necessity but it kinda ties in with law. If all goes to plan this year, you could probably take things calmly next year, you seem all set

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think modern studies would too be beneficial but I'm not sure if crash higher would be achievable in 1 year without doing national 5, I might ask and see how big a gap national 5 modern studies is compared to higher modern studies but thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 5
It isn't a big gap. I'm currently doing it and although i never crashed, my friends are and it's pretty easy to catch up. I'm sure if there is anything that you missed that isn't properly explained that the teacher will help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Mitziemoo
Hi, sorry I didn't make it clear in the question but I did English, maths, chemistry, history and German at national 5 level last year and am doing them all this year but at higher level. Thanks for your help, I think English will be a key subject and I was thinking of maybe taking advance higher history. I was considering taking Spanish at national 5 level but do you think that would be doable in 1 year?

Hi,

I'm so sorry. Somehow I missed that you were doing Higher English this year (honestly don't know how I managed that...).

I think N5 Spanish would be absolutely doable in a year considering you already have some foreign language experience with German.

Sorry again, hopefully this one is more helpful! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ROC10
Hi,

I'm so sorry. Somehow I missed that you were doing Higher English this year (honestly don't know how I managed that...).

I think N5 Spanish would be absolutely doable in a year considering you already have some foreign language experience with German.

Sorry again, hopefully this one is more helpful! :smile:

Ok, thanks for your help :smile:
What did you get in health and food technology at nat 5? I don't think higher is much of a jump.b
A lot of people also crash modern studies so it's doable.
I reckon advanced history would be good for building your essay skills even further then possibly a crash higher modern studies then your nat 5 Spanish. You could also possibly think about doing biology at higher?
Reply 10
Original post by Larissa14
What did you get in health and food technology at nat 5? I don't think higher is much of a jump.b
A lot of people also crash modern studies so it's doable.

I got a B in national 5 health and food technology, do you take health and food technology? and yeah I think modern studies higher would not be a huge jump but I'm just concerned at how much bigger the workload is or how much harsher the marking scheme is but yeah I'll look into it, thank you! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by scottishgirl163
I reckon advanced history would be good for building your essay skills even further then possibly a crash higher modern studies then your nat 5 Spanish. You could also possibly think about doing biology at higher?

I defenetly agree, I think advanced higher history would be good at improving my essay writing skills and I think national 5 Spanish would be good to go alongside it. I do think if I take crash Spanish and crash higher modern studies it might be a bit of an overload to learn two new subjects in 1 year. Biology is a good possibility I'm just unsure if I want to take a science if I'm not super keen to go into a science degree? Do you think higher biology would be a good idea or just an option?
Reply 12
Maybe Higher Spanish would be a good option if they offer that at your school.

I know someone who has crashed a foreign language at Higher level and got an A so it is doable. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by alana_p
It isn't a big gap. I'm currently doing it and although i never crashed, my friends are and it's pretty easy to catch up. I'm sure if there is anything that you missed that isn't properly explained that the teacher will help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thank you, that is helpful :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by ROC10
Maybe Higher Spanish would be a good option if they offer that at your school.

I know someone who has crashed a foreign language at Higher level and got an A so it is doable. :smile:

Ok, thank you :smile:
If you wanna crash a higher language, you're probably best to have free periods so you have more time or youll need to be extremely motivated. Im in fifth year and currently crashing higher french and having to do it over two years as this years been too demanding

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a B in national 5 health and food technology, do you take health and food technology? and yeah I think modern studies higher would not be a huge jump but I'm just concerned at how much bigger the workload is or how much harsher the marking scheme is but yeah I'll look into it, thank you! :smile:

Yeah I do take health and food technology at higher And I did it at Nat 5. The information that you learn is very similar but then questions are harder. The only things is that they don't have any model paper for it.
There is quite a lot of mods books. Go to water stones and look at the mods book and see if it interests you.
Reply 17
Original post by Larissa14
Yeah I do take health and food technology at higher And I did it at Nat 5. The information that you learn is very similar but then questions are harder. The only things is that they don't have any model paper for it.
There is quite a lot of mods books. Go to water stones and look at the mods book and see if it interests you.

Yeah I think looking at the books will help thanks :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by alana_p
If you wanna crash a higher language, you're probably best to have free periods so you have more time or youll need to be extremely motivated. Im in fifth year and currently crashing higher french and having to do it over two years as this years been too demanding

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I think crashing a higher language would be hard and that's why I was maybe considering national 5 level :smile:
Yeah, I think crashing a higher language would be hard and that's why I was maybe considering national 5 level :smile:

It is definitely possible a couple of my friends are crashing higher spanish this year and are doing great!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending