The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

I'm in the same boat, got an offer from both (MPhil Linguistics). I'm currently at Cambridge as an UG so I know who I would be working with here, but I prefer the Oxford course. It's all going to come down to the question of funding, though, and beggars can't be choosers!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Aceadria
Great news!

Well, who would you rather work in (in terms of supervisors)? At your level, I suppose that would be far more important, no?

Well, both the labs are very similar, so its a very difficult choice to make. But I guess it'll depend largely on which university I manage to secure funding at.

Original post by sj27
Great conundrum to have :wink: Do yiu know if either/both will come with funding yet?

Original post by Phate18
I'm in the same boat, got an offer from both (MPhil Linguistics). I'm currently at Cambridge as an UG so I know who I would be working with here, but I prefer the Oxford course. It's all going to come down to the question of funding, though, and beggars can't be choosers!

True enough, funding plays a BIG role!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by pallavipanda

At the moment, I've been put forward for funding by both but it's still uncertain. Don't know which one will work out.

Did they let you know that you've been nominated for funding? Is that specific to your course or something they do in general?
Reply 1343
Original post by Impune
Oh wow. And your waiting to hear back from Cambridge and then you'll pick between it and Oxford?

I haven't heard from Oxford yet, I had an offer last year but rejected it. I'll just choose the one that gives me a scholarship. :biggrin:

Got an offer from both Cambridge and Oxford for PhD - making a choice between both is going to be real tough :s-smilie:

Wait for funding. :dontknow:
Thanks for the link, that'll be a very useful webpage!!

Any idea if the Gates has anything similar of sorts?

The Gates list the deadlines on its website. Rule of thumb: if you haven't been contacted by the date they list for setting up interviews, you're not in the running.
Just checked account and it states that I'm accepted at Fitzwilliam

However I still need to fulfill conditions
Original post by baia_teo
Just checked account and it states that I'm accepted at Fitzwilliam

However I still need to fulfill conditions

Congrats! And yes, once the university gives you an offer and finds you a college, the responsibility shifts back to you: fulfilling all/any conditions. Oh joy!
Original post by Impune
Congrats! And yes, once the university gives you an offer and finds you a college, the responsibility shifts back to you: fulfilling all/any conditions. Oh joy!

Thanks

Exactly, now it's my turn again :smile:) but still, more than half job is done

It's really like once in a lifetime chance for me, so I won't fail. Otherwise I don't know if I manage to prepare another application considering my current schedule
They probably require some justification for why an offer has been made. I remember reading in previous threads that it happens when they just want assurance about a certain aspect of your application.

Well done though! It means the department is satisfied with your application!

And today i recieved *Application Unsuccessful * for another Master Course by the same department. Guess that was the reason for paddling my application to be in grey zone of Awaiting approval from BoGS.
Is it really common to be rejected at degree committee stage? Just been moved on from being under consideration by department for three months.
For those of you doing a PhD in History or another Humanities subject, why did you decide to do one? I'm coming to Cambridge for a Humanities Masters but not sure if applying for a PhD is worth it (I'm most likely not going to do academia).
Original post by arajwana
And today i recieved *Application Unsuccessful * for another Master Course by the same department. Guess that was the reason for paddling my application to be in grey zone of Awaiting approval from BoGS.

Ouch. Yes, that would make sense.

Which College did you apply for?
For those of you doing a PhD in History or another Humanities subject, why did you decide to do one? I'm coming to Cambridge for a Humanities Masters but not sure if applying for a PhD is worth it (I'm most likely not going to do academia).

I want to be in academia and do curatorial work for museums, both of which typically require a PhD. I'm also very interested in the topic I've chosen and want to research it further :smile:. If you do not wish to go into academia and don't have a specific question or area you'd like to investigate beyond the Masters, it's probably not necessary. I took a year off after my Masters before applying for a PhD, just to make sure it was the right next step for me (and now I know that it is).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1353

I have degrees from unis located deep in the bottom-end unis and am trying to settle in the UK. A PhD from Oxbridge is obviously a plus. However, doing a PhD after another degree at Cambridge is not that relevant to me, unless you want a job in Academia/heritage sector, as you already have the brand on the CV.

However, "PhD Cantab" looks good on a card. :tongue:
Reply 1354
Original post by Josb

However, "PhD Cantab" looks good on a card. :tongue:

Nope. Most people don't put their degrees on a business card at all, and those who put "Oxon" or "Cantab" afterwards when they do, just look desperate to impress.
Original post by sj27
Nope. Most people don't put their degrees on a business card at all, and those who put "Oxon" or "Cantab" afterwards when they do, just look desperate to impress.

I think it depends on your field, but as a general rule it might not make sense to have it on a business card.

If you're a CPA or MD it might make sense to include it so people know your credentials, but I can't imagine a person with a PhD in history ever needing to promote that fact on a card.
Reply 1356
Original post by sj27

https://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&btnG=Search&q=%22phd+cantab%22

:dontknow:

Putting it in a biography isn't quite the same thing as putting it on your card. It's standard practice for academics to list where they went to school in their academic profiles.
Reply 1358
Original post by Impune
Putting it in a biography isn't quite the same thing as putting it on your card. It's standard practice for academics to list where they went to school in their academic profiles.

I've seen several cards with similar lines. Business cards are made to impress in a few words.
A question for the masters applicants amongst you....

I don't suppose there's anyone else who's looking at a PhD in the USA post-Cambridge? :ahee:

Just curious tbh :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending