The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tessie25
9A*s, 2As and a B at GCSE. AABC at AS. Predicted A*A*A. Honestly was hoping for a rejection because I want to accept my unconditional from Birmingham, but it still sucks to be told you're not good enough. Also failed at Oxford but got interviewed.

Holy crumpets how did you get rejected?! I'm happy for you that you got the one you wanted though! But still, they must be crazy to reject you!!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Got an offer for chemistry :biggrin: Pleasantly surprised
Reply 1542
Has anyone received a modern languages offer? Durham is the only uni I haven't heard from!
No I am still waiting, when did you apply?
Has anyone heard from Biomedical science who has applied after the Oxbridge deadline?
Reply 1545
Original post by Smurf2008
No I am still waiting, when did you apply?

in october :s-smilie:
Rejected for Ancient, Medieval and Modern History

11A*s 1A and a B at GCSE
ABBC at AS (not really sure what happened last year tbh)
Predicted A*A*A
Original post by Smurf2008
Has anyone heard from Biomedical science who has applied after the Oxbridge deadline?

Not Biomedical Sciences, but Biosciences and yes, I heard in December☺️
Has anyone here been to the open days? What feel did you get from the university, what did you think of it? :smile:
Original post by Spivo1410
Got an offer for English Literature just now!

Congratulations! I'm still waiting :s-smilie: do you mind me asking what your grades are and when you applied?
Original post by mazzaion
Has anyone here been to the open days? What feel did you get from the university, what did you think of it? :smile:

when I went I honestly didnt get a feel for the place at all. But that was probably because I was scurrying around different departments. I think if I were to firm Durham I'd have had to look around again first to make sure I get good vibes :tongue:
Original post by Els-12
Has anyone received a modern languages offer? Durham is the only uni I haven't heard from!

Applied early October and heard December 10th for Arabic and Spanish- got an offer :smile: what languages are you? :biggrin:
Original post by mazzaion

Yeah I went to one in September and it's a really pretty city, students were lovely and obviously I can't say much about any department other than maths, but I liked my department at least. Durham is full of stunning architecture and has a nice feel to it, like they want you to achieve academic pinnacles but they also want you to be a well rounded human being. I had a look around some of the colleges (can't remember which ones now) and then set my heart of Hatfield, which was having work done on it at the time. The only real downside is how hilly it is, but on the other hand walking up and down hills is a good way to stay fit, especially seeing how you'll be walking everywhere as students aren't allowed cars. Also they try to stage nights out in Newcastle a lot, but as a North Easterner I can tell you they aren't right next door to each other, but you can still get there in about half an hour with reasonable traffic. Obviously I like it and that's why it's my firm hahaha Have you not been on an open day?
[QUOTE=mazzaion;62453617]Has anyone here been to the open days? What feel did you get from the university, what did you think of it? :smile:

Hi I haven't been to an open day but went up to look around and it's absolutely gorgeous! Really cute town with cobbled streets and independent cafes (really cheap homemade food and cake too!). I got good vibes, everyone was super friendly and all the colleges I saw were nice
Original post by hollyismyname
Holy crumpets how did you get rejected?! I'm happy for you that you got the one you wanted though! But still, they must be crazy to reject you!!

Haha I thought my grades were pretty subpar by Durham standards, but I got the standard email saying that out of 1300ish applicants there are only 120 places for Lit, so it's no wonder even people with grades I could only dream of are being unsuccessful. Thanks, good luck with whatever you're doing :smile:
Original post by scratchedpaw
Yeah I went to one in September and it's a really pretty city, students were lovely and obviously I can't say much about any department other than maths, but I liked my department at least. Durham is full of stunning architecture and has a nice feel to it, like they want you to achieve academic pinnacles but they also want you to be a well rounded human being. I had a look around some of the colleges (can't remember which ones now) and then set my heart of Hatfield, which was having work done on it at the time. The only real downside is how hilly it is, but on the other hand walking up and down hills is a good way to stay fit, especially seeing how you'll be walking everywhere as students aren't allowed cars. Also they try to stage nights out in Newcastle a lot, but as a North Easterner I can tell you they aren't right next door to each other, but you can still get there in about half an hour with reasonable traffic. Obviously I like it and that's why it's my firm hahaha Have you not been on an open day?

No I didn't, I'm from France and it was a weekend in September so flights were very very expensive... I sent my best friend on a trip there though (she's also applying) and we're looked online at colleges together, narrowed them down to three for her to visit and so she picked one for me. She said it felt very serious though, which I wasn't too sure about, as it's always nice having fun conversations with tutors and teachers. I'm thinking of deferring or reapplying though (a gap year opportunity has come up), so I'll make sure I can go myself this time around! :smile:
Any offers for maths?
Original post by alow
It's hardly my fault you can't handle the banter.

As previous posts have quite rightly stated, ignore this troll. Even in jest, posts such as these are both really STUPID and idiotic, wherever the person attends.

I highly doubt it is In anyway representative of Oxbridge students, remember most normal people do not think this way. A sense of humour/"banter" does not justify insulting people or causing offence.

Sincere best wishes to all those applying for university. One word of wisdom from parents. There are many things that contribute to a "happy and fulfilled existence", academia is just one of many. 😀
Original post by IsaacMed17
Any offers for maths?

I got an A*AA MMath offer 13th January, but I know 3 people still waiting to hear back from maths so I wouldn't worry if you haven't heard back yet
Original post by Tessie25
Haha I thought my grades were pretty subpar by Durham standards, but I got the standard email saying that out of 1300ish applicants there are only 120 places for Lit, so it's no wonder even people with grades I could only dream of are being unsuccessful. Thanks, good luck with whatever you're doing :smile:

No your grades are so good- those GCSEs! It's crazy they must get loads of candidates who are exceptional because your grades are amazing! Thank you, still waiting to hear about Eng Lit- not feeling too hopeful now haha!

Quick Reply

Latest