The Student Room Group

HMRC AO pre-employment checks

Hi there,

Just desperately trying to find out if anybody out there has received a FORMAL offer? I applied for the AO job with HMRC in September 2015 and went for my interview in October. In December I received a provisional offer but that's been it until now. I haven't heard back from them in regards to a formal offer. I've received my DBS and I know my personal referees have been contacted. They also asked me to fill a health declaration form. It's been almost 2 months now since I received that provisional offer. I was told that if successful we would be taking up duty from Feb 2016. My chosen location was Birmingham.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by cookie_crumble
Hi there,

Just desperately trying to find out if anybody out there has received a FORMAL offer? I applied for the AO job with HMRC in September 2015 and went for my interview in October. In December I received a provisional offer but that's been it until now. I haven't heard back from them in regards to a formal offer. I've received my DBS and I know my personal referees have been contacted. They also asked me to fill a health declaration form. It's been almost 2 months now since I received that provisional offer. I was told that if successful we would be taking up duty from Feb 2016. My chosen location was Birmingham.

I am in the exact same position, in Birmingham as well so you are not alone! (Offered provisional on the 4th December, have filled in the health declaration form and my personal referees have also been contacted. Still no formal offer either). Its so frustrating! I assume they will offer formal offers to everyone at the same time (as with provisional offers) but it really is taking ages. Hopefully we hear something soon but it's good to know I am not the only one!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MrEko1
I am in the exact same position, in Birmingham as well so you are not alone! (Offered provisional on the 4th December, have filled in the health declaration form and my personal referees have also been contacted. Still no formal offer either). Its so frustrating! I assume they will offer formal offers to everyone at the same time (as with provisional offers) but it really is taking ages. Hopefully we hear something soon but it's good to know I am not the only one!

It's so good to know I'm not the only one. I am so frustrated, I don't think I can wait any longer. I don't understand why it's taking them ages. I really need this job and I hate how they've left us hanging. Maybe they're sorting it out all out in order of location, if not merit order. I've been carrying my phone every where with me these past few days in case I get a call, I don't want to risk missing one. This recruitment process is making me paranoid. Seriously hoping we get some news by the end of the week. We haven't even been told that our pre employment checks have been completed.
Reply 3
It really is a shambles! I know what you mean, its torture waiting around but at least it seems were all in the same boat (little consolation but its something i guess). Here is hoping we will hear something regarding a start date soon, Feb seems a little unlikely now but I am still holding out a little hope. All we can do is continue playing the waiting game (since no way to contact them...) and try and keep the spirits up i guess
Original post by MrEko1
It really is a shambles! I know what you mean, its torture waiting around but at least it seems were all in the same boat (little consolation but its something i guess). Here is hoping we will hear something regarding a start date soon, Feb seems a little unlikely now but I am still holding out a little hope. All we can do is continue playing the waiting game (since no way to contact them...) and try and keep the spirits up i guess

Hey, I got my offer and will be starting end of February. Got the call about half hour ago. I didn't get an email at all telling me my checks have been completed though, like some people did. If you haven't been contacted yet, you soon will be. Keep your phone glued to your hands! Hang in there :biggrin:
Reply 5
Hey, I got my offer and will be starting end of February. Got the call about half hour ago. I didn't get an email at all telling me my checks have been completed though, like some people did. If you haven't been contacted yet, you soon will be. Keep your phone glued to your hands! Hang in there :biggrin:

Yay! Congratulations, its about time! (Treat yourself to something to celebrate!). Still heard nothing but fingers crossed there is some communication over the next few days then.

Out of interest did they just say start date and time (and everything will be sorted/information given on first day) or did they go through more in depth?

Congratulations again!
Original post by MrEko1
Yay! Congratulations, its about time! (Treat yourself to something to celebrate!). Still heard nothing but fingers crossed there is some communication over the next few days then.

Out of interest did they just say start date and time (and everything will be sorted/information given on first day) or did they go through more in depth?

Congratulations again!

I got a call from a woman just to check whether the start date is suitable for me. Then I got an email, about two hours ago, giving more info. But I'm really confused. The job is starting to sound like a call centre role from what it says on the email. I'm starting to worry a little bit, I'll be so angry if they've misled us into thinking it's an administration job. I also thought the job would be flexible hours as it stated on the job advert?? But on my email it's saying my job hours are 9-5. I'm disappointed because I really wanted the flexibility and it's unfair of them to state one thing but not actually apply it. Hopefully that'll only apply for the training period.

Let me know what it says on your email once you get it. Goodluck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
I got a call from a woman just to check whether the start date is suitable for me. Then I got an email, about two hours ago, giving more info. But I'm really confused. The job is starting to sound like a call centre role from what it says on the email. I'm starting to worry a little bit, I'll be so angry if they've misled us into thinking it's an administration job. I also thought the job would be flexible hours as it stated on the job advert?? But on my email it's saying my job hours are 9-5. I'm disappointed because I really wanted the flexibility and it's unfair of them to state one thing but not actually apply it. Hopefully that'll only apply for the training period.

Let me know what it says on your email once you get it. Goodluck :smile:

I start on the 29th! Such a relief to finally have a formal offer! No details on the email (Just start date, what to bring and details of probation period) but I am just so relived to finally be at the end of the process.

Says 9-5 as well but im sure there is flexi time available after training period but I am sure we will find out all the details once we start (which is not soon!!!) :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Without seeing the job advert it's hard to tell if it' was missleading leading. However administrative officer (AO) is a job grade, not a specific role. Answering calls from the public definitely falls into this grade.

What's common from my experience for grades such as AO departments will recruit a certain number say 5 for roles accross the Department in one job advert, this means that you will appply for any job that's available at that grade and not necessarily for a specific job.

A call centre may have specific opening hours such as 9-5 where it wouldn't suit the business need to have people doing flexible hours from 7-3 for example as there is no work between 7-9.I'd give your contact within the Department a call to discuss your concerns especially if the job was advertised as flexible hours.
Original post by MrEko1
I start on the 29th! Such a relief to finally have a formal offer! No details on the email (Just start date, what to bring and details of probation period) but I am just so relived to finally be at the end of the process.

Says 9-5 as well but im sure there is flexi time available after training period but I am sure we will find out all the details once we start (which is not soon!!!) :smile:

Yay, congrats! It really is a relief reaching the end of that frustratingly long process :biggrin:

Original post by MrBuck
Without seeing the job advert it's hard to tell if it' was missleading leading. However administrative officer (AO) is a job grade, not a specific role. Answering calls from the public definitely falls into this grade.

What's common from my experience for grades such as AO departments will recruit a certain number say 5 for roles accross the Department in one job advert, this means that you will appply for any job that's available at that grade and not necessarily for a specific job.

A call centre may have specific opening hours such as 9-5 where it wouldn't suit the business need to have people doing flexible hours from 7-3 for example as there is no work between 7-9.I'd give your contact within the Department a call to discuss your concerns especially if the job was advertised as flexible hours.

Thanks for this, I don't know why I assumed it was a specific role.:colondollar: I'm not really bothered anymore about the hours, flexi would have been convenient but as long as the job is ok and the people are friendly, that's all that matters for me now. :smile:
Hey cookie_crumble, I replied to you on my other thread.

Congrats on finally getting a start date!

Can I ask if you got a call from occupational health & what sort of questions I can expect? How long after the call did you get a start date? The next available appointment for me isn't until 4th March, so I know I won't be started until after that :frown:
Original post by ScabbyQueen
Hey cookie_crumble, I replied to you on my other thread.

Congrats on finally getting a start date!

Can I ask if you got a call from occupational health & what sort of questions I can expect? How long after the call did you get a start date? The next available appointment for me isn't until 4th March, so I know I won't be started until after that :frown:

Hey, I didn't get a call from OH. I think you only get those depending on what you put on your health declaration form? I personally don't have any health issues that might affect me working, so as expected, there was no need for a call with them.

All I got was a random call on 9th feb, two weeks today, from a woman asking if it's ok for me to start on 29th feb. My formal offer followed not long after.

Don't worry about it, I know it's easier said than done, but I think there are different start dates depending on your location. The start date for Bathgate might be in March. Also, if they know you are unemployed, I don't think there'll be a need to give you a long notice period, I'm unemployed and I got three weeks notice. They may have already sorted everything out for you and are just waiting for the last bit of information from OH. You might hear back week beginning 7th March about a start date. Good luck :smile: Don't give up hope just yet, as least you're still hearing back from them, that's got to be better than being left in the dark.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah, I ticket the box for stress/anxiety/depression so that'll be why they are following it up with OH :frown:. It's just annoying because it was a one off absence aaaaages ago!

I just want to work, I'm bored shitless not working & having no routine!

Shouldn't be too long after my OH call hopefully :smile:
Reply 13
Hi just wondered if anyone was placed on a reserve list with Hmrc for ao position and then recruited?

I've recently been placed in a reserve list saying I've reached the required standard but cannot offer position immediately. And will be on reserve list for 6 months.
I wasn't on a reserve list but from confirmation I was successful to actual start date I was 4 months :/
So don't be handing your notice in to your current job any time soon!!
Reply 15
I got a provisional offer 😄.ive sent info that they've asked for like references etc I really hope I get start date soon.. They did say that should start in june..
Hi there,

Original post by MrEko1

Hey! Did they contact your employer referee or was it just your personal referee... Not to keen on letting my employer know until it's a formal offer... Don't want a dogs life in work as they'll know I'm leaving. I'm not too fussed if they did- but would rather have the easy route! ^.^

I got a provisional offer on the 29th April. By the sounds of it - it's a long wait until a formal offer :P
Reply 17
Hey Guys....
Just got my provisional offer....but does anyone know how long the checks take?
I found out last week and I sent all my paperwork back the same day.

Thank you
XxX
Original post by Spanky13
Hey Guys....
Just got my provisional offer....but does anyone know how long the checks take?
I found out last week and I sent all my paperwork back the same day.

Thank you
XxX

I sent all mine on Saturday the 30th, so it's just a waiting game now!

What location have you got your offer for?

I sent my acceptance but have had no confirmation back.. yikes!
Reply 19
Original post by rebecca_:)
I sent all mine on Saturday the 30th, so it's just a waiting game now!

What location have you got your offer for?

I sent my acceptance but have had no confirmation back.. yikes!

Awwww congrats!!!!
I'm in Bradford, where are you? (I've had no confirmation back either!)
I was reading in another forum and people are saying that they are appointing people by merit?? but I'm not sure XxX

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending