The Student Room Group

I cried in public and no one asked me if I was ok?

I received a call that my dad is ill, so as I sat in my lecture I tried to control myself but the tears started falling. The girl sitting next to me saw but just completely ignored me, and as I walked back to my flat in uni I was hysterically crying and lots of people walked past me, not one person bothered to ask me if I was ok. If anything my lecturer saw that I had been crying and when I went to ask her a question she just looked at me like I was weird. I know that if it had been me who saw someone crying I would have asked if they were alright and not give them a funny look. Why did people act like this? Is that normal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I received a call that my dad is ill, so as I sat in my lecture I tried to control myself but the tears started falling. The girl sitting next to me saw but just completely ignored me, and as I walked back to my flat in uni I was hysterically crying and lots of people walked past me, not one person bothered to ask me if I was ok. If anything my lecturer saw that I had been crying and when I went to ask her a question she just looked at me like I was weird. I know that if it had been me who saw someone crying I would have asked if they were alright and not give them a funny look. Why did people act like this? Is that normal?

Extremely normal. Noone these days would as a stranger check if they are okay even if they are crying :frown:
It's uni not high school and lets be honest... The world we live in rn lacks kind hearted people imo :console:
(edited 8 years ago)
Because it's kind of awkward to experience...if I walk past a random person I don't know and they're crying, the last thing I'm going to do is ask them if they're ok
Welcome to britain
Reply 4

thats cruel. even if i saw someone i hate crying i would still ask if they are okay, no one should have to suffer alone ygm
They probably wanted to but were too scared to get involved or maybe felt they couldnt because they didnt know you? At least thats how I feel if I see a crying stranger
Tbf I was crying on my school bus yesterday and it made me uncomfortable when people asked if I was okay so I just said 'yeah fine' to shut them. I don't ask people if they are okay unless we are friends because it's such an awkward situation, and even if we are friends I'll avoid it if I can and get someone else to do it.
Original post by TheTechN1304
Because it's kind of awkward to experience...if I walk past a random person I don't know and they're crying, the last thing I'm going to do is ask them if they're ok

This unfortunately. Also the west being the west, someone sitting down with the OP may mean that the person is late to work

Or even if it isn't work, it can be being late for dinner with their partner, a date, picking their kids up, doing stuff with their kids, etc.. Etx.. Etc..

If someonebasically fell unconscious, tbh I'd be more willing to cut in to my own time (even if it is work, as then I kinda have proof)
I bet everyone that you walked past watched that Simpsons episode where that girl yells to Bart, "they're imaginary! Just like your brain!"
Therefore think everyone that cries acts like that
Reply 9

Count yourself lucky.

Normally people would bring out their mobile phones, iPads, tablets and other recording devices and start following you around recording your tears.

We have degenerated so badly. Sorry no one stopped to comfort you.
Welcome to the real world 🖖

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by go.berzerk313
Welcome to the real world 🖖

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

People are almost always too wrapped up in their own nonsense to even consider someone else feelings.
I'm sorry to hear that happened. I'm very dumfounded even your lecturer didn't have the decency to ask if you were okay. I don't know anyone in my class at uni that would ignore someone else crying in a lecture or class. Even the tutors/lecturers would be concerned, at worst they'd ask if you wanted some time to yourself/wanted to be excused early.

Yes it can be a little uncomfortable when you see a stranger crying in public, I understand why you might not stop to talk to the person in case you're anxious/worried about offending them or getting involved. But its completely different when you're a setting like uni with people in your lecture/class especially if the person is sitting next to you. It's messed up the girl next to you didnt even ask what was wrong whether you're friends or not.

I think the main reason people wouldnt necessarily stop to ask a complete stranger on the street if they're okay is because no one really expects the person will give them a proper answer or anything more than a mumbled lie. What person is going to started bawling and spilling their complete life story to some stranger on the street? If someone had asked you, would you have honestly answered and told them the full story or just mumbled "no, i'm not okay" or "i'm fine".
Reply 13
The thing that stands out is that your lecturer saw you.

... I get it , Uni is for grown ups. But come on!!! That's your lecturer, they are supposed to be somewhat responsible for the students welfare no?
Public especially in a uni setting.....not sure I'd always approach someone I saw walking who looked like they were crying. It's none of my business, is they ask for help I will, but what if they've just got off an argument on the phone with their partner...do they want a stranger butting into their business? Many people don't like others to bother them when they're upset. If you were a friend or acquaintance I would, but not always a total stranger.

Your lecturer has more of a responsibility IMO, they should have thought to ask.
Original post by jgjog3
The thing that stands out is that your lecturer saw you.

... I get it , Uni is for grown ups. But come on!!! That's your lecturer, they are supposed to be somewhat responsible for the students welfare no?

This.

imsoanonymous123
x

Beta male who can't pull any females detected.

Why are most of your posts on TSR so stupid and immature? You sound ****ing autistic (srs). Man up. If my son was like you I'd disown him

go.berzerk313
Welcome to the real world

You made an account just to make this phaggot post?
Most people don't like to be bothered when their upset, especially by strangers. That's been my experience anyway, so I'll I'd assume that and leave you alone like others did.

Beta male who can't pull any females detected.

is this supposed to be an insult
Because:

a) witnessing someone crying is deeply uncomfortable for a nation of reserved and private people;
b) there is no way of knowing what the reaction may be: asking may elicit a negative response like 'mind your own business' or worse abusive or even violent;
c) the reason the person is crying is most likely highly personal and intrusion may equally be embarrassing, uncomfortable for them and simply unwanted by them;
d) the witness is too self centred.

Of all the reasons I'd say c) and a) are the most likely.
Reply 19
Original post by uberteknik
Because:

a) witnessing someone crying is deeply uncomfortable for a nation of reserved and private people;
b) there is no way of knowing what the reaction may be: asking may elicit a negative response like 'mind your own business' or worse abusive or even violent;
c) the reason the person is crying is most likely highly personal and intrusion may equally be embarrassing, uncomfortable for them and simply unwanted by them;
d) the witness is too self centred.

Of all the reasons I'd say c) and a) are the most likely.

A: would be one of my reasons for going over and supporting them

D: is the most likely

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending