The Student Room Group

Article: How important is uni prestige?

Scroll to see replies

I am the graduate of three Russell Group universities, none of them Oxbridge. My hugely likeable officemate is the graduate of two, and both of them Oxbridge. Our boss as well is the graduate of two institutions, neither of them Russell Group and one an ex-poly.

You can take away from this true but anecdotal and unscientific snapshot what you will. What I like to take from it is that your future isn't set in stone if you graduate from non-stellar universities.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cambio wechsel
I am the graduate of three Russell Group universities, none of them Oxbridge. My hugely likeable officemate is the graduate of two, and both of them Oxbridge. Our boss as well is the graduate of two institutions, neither of them Russell Group and one an ex-poly.

You can take away from this true but anecdotal and unscientific snapshot what you will. What I like to take from it is that your future isn't set in stone if you graduate from non-stellar universities, just as long as you're a humourless corporate lickspittle and a pompous c**t.

There are stories of peasants rising to nobility throughout history, most of which are humourless and quite nasty characters in the end, mostly because of the struggle.

Not going to Oxbridge clearly isn't the end of the world. You certainly have to market it right, though. I think on this forum people tend not to want to think about branding and how much easier it is to use others' names to make your ride easier. Students here hope that their achievements are what will get them jobs and in academia at least this is mostly the case (though even still having done research with prominent figures is better). Riding on coattails can get you even further still than your own if you're clever. It just requires a lack of shame.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think it bears repeating - a student perception of "prestige" isn't necessarily the same as an employer's. Yes Oxbridge will feature well for some occupations because you know that the students there have coped with pressure to survive the course. They should also be intelligent. But the courses tend to be theoretical so if you are looking for an engineer you might prefer one who has done a less theoretical course and may not need as much training before they are useful. Bath has does well partly because it has always emphasised a year of work. Warwick picks up maths students who are very able but miss a grade on STEP so it's as good a recruiting ground as Oxford.

The ability to ******** with apparent sincerity will take you a long way though.
Original post by jneill
I wonder if many of the people saying uni "prestige" is not so important are also TSRians who have real world experience post university.

:beard:

In my experience it can sometimes help a little bit if the university that you are attending is well regarded by those in the sector you wish to enter, in that if a familiar name is seen on the CV - one that has in the past produced good quality employees and where more senior employees graduated from - then they might be more inclined to put said candidate forward to the next stage as a lot of graduate CVs are very similar and there isn't much to distinguish them, but overall it's really not a big deal, and arguing about it on the internet is certainly not a good way to spend your night.

Now that I am a few years graduated, my degree and education has been moved to the bottom of my CV, because what I have done in that time is now more important than my degree.
Original post by Smack
In my experience it can sometimes help a little bit if the university that you are attending is well regarded by those in the sector you wish to enter, in that if a familiar name is seen on the CV - one that has in the past produced good quality employees and where more senior employees graduated from - then they might be more inclined to put said candidate forward to the next stage as a lot of graduate CVs are very similar and there isn't much to distinguish them, but overall it's really not a big deal, and arguing about it on the internet is certainly not a good way to spend your night.

Now that I am a few years graduated, my degree and education has been moved to the bottom of my CV, because what I have done in that time is now more important than my degree.

Completely agree with all this :smile: (PRSOM)
Original post by Smack

Again, the CV seems to be the only metric people are using on this thread which seems facile.

The networks created surely are the biggest asset of a university like Oxbridge.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
I did it the other way around - first degree at a good non-RG, Masters at a low ranking RG and PhD at an established RG.

Without question, the non-RG was the better experience and for all the reasons listed above - smaller, campus based, more friendly, all resources were better (library, health care, transport etc etc), and the courses led the way in cross-discipline teaching. The Masters Uni was 'ok' - it was a city campus so had little atmosphere and relied on the city having the facilities so they didn't bother providing lots of things I had taken for granted previously, but it wasnt stuffed full of public-school kids and the lecturers were interested in their students, and I was encouraged to get involved in research in areas outside my MA.

Finally, the PhD Uni. I hated it. It was enormous, totally impersonal and I felt everything was revolving around the academics not the students. The buildings were awful (geriatric, tatty and with ancient fittings/furniture) and none of the PhD students had designated study space (unlike both my previous Unis where they had state of the art communal offices). Whilst my supervisors were both great, I felt I didnt belong there, that the Uni itself just wanted to take my Research Council funding (oooo goody, shiny money) and give me precisely nothing in return. The Uni was so snooty and so far up-itself it was laughable - it was like stepping back into the 1950s.

So, don't ever think RG is 'better'. Its not. Go to a Uni that encourages you, that welcomes you and values you, and In my experience that is far more likely to be a non-RG/'top' Uni.

Could you name the universities you attended? I agree that most of the Russell group universities aren't prestigious or great at all. I think you prefer smaller unis over bigger ones. I think St Andrews would've suited you the best since it's one of the smaller universities.

There are a lot of low ranking and mediocre unis in the Russell group: Cardiff, Leeds, Newcastle, York, Queen Mary, Sheffield, Queen's Belfast, Exeter, Warwick. I'm sue non-RG schools could easily provide a better experience than at these unis.

After visiting some Russell group unis I feel that these are overrated: Southampton, Nottingham, Manchester, Kings, Glasgow and Birmingham. I would understand if you had a better experience at non-RG in comparison to these unis. For instance, King's medical school had really noticeably old buildings and wasn't as impressive as I hoped it would be. On the other hand St George's a much smaller medical school I felt was better overall. Hell, even the recently opened Buckingham private medical school looked a lot better than Kings.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The Arsonist
Again, the CV seems to be the only metric people are using on this thread which seems facile.

The networks created surely are the biggest asset of a university like Oxbridge.

But in what way does a network really help in this day and age once you're in a role?

I think this is a thing from the past. Like it may, just like the name, help you to get into certain positions but thereafter your pal isn't gonna keep moving you up the ranks. Things have changed!

In a small business that might be the case but in big multinationals, law firms, investment banks, an Oxbridge pal isn't going to get you promoted if your performance is shoddy. I just don't think that's the way the world works anymore.
Original post by Ali1302
There are a lot of low ranking and mediocre unis in the Russell group: Cardiff, Leeds, Newcastle, York, Queen Mary, Sheffield, Queen's Belfast, Exeter, Warwick. I'm sue non-RG schools could easily provide a better experience than at these unis.

Oh for goodness sake. Warwick, for one, is highly regarded for Maths, and Exeter for English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Oh for goodness sake. Warwick, for one, is highly regarded for Maths, and Exeter for English.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Being good in one subject isn't enough to be considered a great uni. Also Exeter for English?? What??
Original post by Ali1302
Could you name the universities you attended? I agree that most of the Russell group universities aren't prestigious or great at all. I think you prefer smaller unis over bigger ones. I think St Andrews would've suited you the best since it's one of the smaller universities.

After visiting some Russell group unis I feel that these are overrated: Southampton, Nottingham, Manchester, Kings, Glasgow and Birmingham. I would understand if you had a better experience at non-RG in comparison to these unis. For instance, King's medical school had really noticeably old buildings and wasn't as impressive as I hoped it would be. On the other hand St George's a much smaller medical school I felt was better overall. Hell, even the recently opened Buckingham private medical school looked a lot better than Kings.

Aye, the uni that hasn't been ranked out of the top 10 for the past 22 years.. Nice one lad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Aye, the uni that hasn't been ranked out of the top 10 for the past 22 years.. Nice one lad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't get me wrong Warwick is outstanding for Maths with a recent field medalist Martin Hairer, it's probably one of the best math departments in Europe or even the world. It also has a decent business school mainly because it's headed by one of the most cited researchers in economics and business Mark P. taylor.

Outside of both these fields Warwick doesn't really stand out and to be honest with you it's pretty mediocre in other subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)

The vast majority of graduates are probably interested in sectors where the CV is what will get them the interview, not whether their brother went to university with the MD.
Original post by Smack
The vast majority of graduates are probably interested in sectors where the CV is what will get them the interview, not whether their brother went to university with the MD.

Original post by Ethereal World
But in what way does a network really help in this day and age once you're in a role?I think this is a thing from the past. Like it may, just like the name, help you to get into certain positions but thereafter your pal isn't gonna keep moving you up the ranks. Things have changed!In a small business that might be the case but in big multinationals, law firms, investment banks, an Oxbridge pal isn't going to get you promoted if your performance is shoddy. I just don't think that's the way the world works anymore.

Moving to other roles, for one. Sure, if you're looking to stick to one career your whole life -- maybe that payoff isn't worth it for one instance of social connections working.

On the other hand, I'd rather have known the guys who are going to be at the top in office or finance or business and overwhelming these are oxbridge.

Suppose it depends on your ambitions. I'd rather not hamstring myself.
Moving to other roles, for one. Sure, if you're looking to stick to one career your whole life -- maybe that payoff isn't worth it for one instance of social connections working.

On the other hand, I'd rather have known the guys who are going to be at the top in office or finance or business and overwhelming these are oxbridge.

Suppose it depends on your ambitions. I'd rather not hamstring myself.

Well, yes, if you're only interested in investment banks and the like, sure, but as I said most graduates aren't.
Original post by Ali1302

Take Warwick, Cardiff, Exeter, Sheffield and Leeds off that list if you want people to actually take you seriously. How on earth did you manage to include Warwick?

In fact, there's no "mediocre" Uni in the RG. If that were the case then how would you describe the rest of the Uni's in England?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lawliettt
Take Warwick, Cardiff, Exeter, Sheffield and Leeds off that list if you want people to actually take you seriously. How on earth did you manage to include Warwick?

In fact, there's no "mediocre" Uni in the RG. If that were the case then how would you describe the rest of the Uni's in England?

Are you serious? Cardiff, Exeter, Sheffield and leeds are not internationally well regarded unis. You can make a case for Warwick that is world leading in mathematics and great for business but not any of the other universities. Wawrick is mediocre in all other subjects so that's why it's mediocre overall.

There are mediocre/low rank unis in the russell group and most UK universities aren't notable whatsoever. That is why a non-Russell group uni could provide a better learning experience.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ali1302
Are you serious? Cardiff, Exeter, Sheffield and leeds are not internationally well regarded unis. You can make a case for Warwick that is world leading in mathematics and great for business but not any of the other universities. Wawrick is mediocre in all other subjects so that's why it's mediocre overall.

There are mediocre/low rank unis in the russell group and most UK universities aren't notable whatsoever. That is why a non-Russell group uni could provide a better learning experience.

You're the epitome of nonsense lol. People will definitely not take you seriously. Warwick, never left top 10. 48th right now in the world beating Brown and Dartmouth. They are also 2nd for Economics and in top 10 for most of the degrees they do. It is in top 10 for the hardest unis to get into. The average grade at Warwick is extremely high ranging from AAA-A*A*A*. It has a mad maths, business, economics and medical school. They are tier 1 target for lawyers which is out. They are in top 5 for ALL LinkedIn rankings (a part from Marketing, they are 8th). They are in top 3 for graduate prospects. Every single bank has put them in the top 5 target universities as well. They are obviously a target uni. Mate, you are so deluded. Their business school is connected to Wharton. They have amazing exchanges with the Ivies (Cornell, Brown, UPenn) and other leading institutions (Stanford, UCBerkeley, UCLA, Monash, McGill). I don't know how you dare say Warwick is mediocre. They have a strong international reputation as they are connected to such strong universities as well as being upon an increase PR due to their social stamp in the UK- which went all over E! news as well as many other international news reports.

Every other subject Warwick is in top 10 for, let's say a few: Engineering, Chemistry, German, History, Italian, Physics, Accounting & Finance, Classics, CompSci, Politics, Sociology, etc. Mate don't make foolish statements and be expected to be taken seriously.
(edited 8 years ago)
"A closer look at the detail raises some interesting issues about higher education institutions that trade on their status and ranking positions. Once very limited information about family background and A-level achievement is accounted for, the differences in the rate of return between a Russell Group and another institution in terms of rankings is, on average, small and in statistical terms, insignificant."
http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/blog/2013/aug/20/graduate-salaries-university-degree-value
Original post by Ali1302
Are you serious? Cardiff, Exeter, Sheffield and leeds are not internationally well regarded unis. You can make a case for Warwick that is world leading in mathematics and great for business but not any of the other universities. Wawrick is mediocre in all other subjects so that's why it's mediocre

I really can't take you seriously if you're going to bizarrely claim things like Warwick is mediocre in everything but maths and business. Where is your data on all these mediocre courses? What makes them so average? Or are you speaking out your ass? And notice how no one agrees with you.

And if you're going to divert the topic to who is recognised (since you clearly have nothing to back up your initial point), keep in mind that they all have some of the best reputations in the country. Cardiff and Manchester for example have some of the best Dentistry schools in england. In addition to that their engineering departnents are of very high standards. Especially Chemical Engineering at Manchester and Civil Engineering at Cardiff. Nottingham has a great year abroad scheme.

Regardless of what you think of them, no Uni in that group is mediocre overall. Not everything has to be Cambridge level in order to be an above average Uni.

The most tragic part about your posts is that I'm sure you haven't even visited the most of the Unis you claimed to be overrated. Your case is literally "there's a uni better than some of them. That must mean most RG Unis are mediocre! "

By that logic every uni in the country apart from the RG Unis, Bath and St Andrews is awful. Sure, some may have a better experience at other Unis (that's probably the only thing you've been right about). But please stop spreading rubbish by saying that implies any of the RG are mediocre. That just makes you look bitter.

And since you seem to like rankings so much, bare in mind that the complete university guide is one of the worst things to base your opinion on because of what they factor in to rank universities. So if you're really going to use the ranking argument then try

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2015#sorting=rank+region=+country=208+faculty=+stars=false+search=

Or

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2016/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply