The Student Room Group
University of York
York

MAD card

I am planning to make York my firm choice, with the intention of coming here in October 2016. I think I would like to go for catered accommodation, however, I don't see the point of paying extra for breakfast when I can easily cook that myself, so I was thinking of getting self-catered accommodation and then the dinner-only MAD card. However, I wouldn't want to be in a flat full of people cooking for themselves and having to go to dinner on my own, so I was just wondering how widely the MAD card is used?
Original post by elliehb
I am planning to make York my firm choice, with the intention of coming here in October 2016. I think I would like to go for catered accommodation, however, I don't see the point of paying extra for breakfast when I can easily cook that myself, so I was thinking of getting self-catered accommodation and then the dinner-only MAD card. However, I wouldn't want to be in a flat full of people cooking for themselves and having to go to dinner on my own, so I was just wondering how widely the MAD card is used?

Hiya,

The good thing about getting the dinner only package is that you don't have to go everynight if you don't want to and can always choose to stay in your flat and cook if you don't fancy it. It might be worth looking through some of the sample menus so you can see what type of food is on offer and if it fits with what you like.

Something else to think about is the location of where you can use the MAD card - Vanbrugh, Derwent and James College. If you are living on Heslington East or in Halifax College you might not want to go too far for dinner. On the other hand it's a great opportunity to meet students outside of your flat /college/course.

Hopefully some of our students who use the MAD card will get in touch and let you know how they find it.

Thanks,

Annie
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by University of York
Hiya,

The good thing about getting the dinner only package is that you don't have to go everynight if you don't want to and can always choose to stay in your flat and cook if you don't fancy it. It might be worth looking through some of the sample menus so you can see what type of food is on offer and if it fits with what you like.

Something else to think about is the location of where you can use the MAD card - Vanbrugh, Derwent and James College. If you are living on Heslington East or in Halifax College you might not want to go too far for dinner. On the other hand it's a great opportunity to meet students outside of your flat /college/course.

Hopefully some of our students who use the MAD card will get in touch and let you know how they find it.

Thanks,

Annie

Thank you, I have looked at the sample menus and the look delicious with a good choice, the only thing I am worried about is having to go off to dinner on my own whilst all of my flatmates cook dinner together or equally cooking my own dinner in my flat and feeling that I am wasting money on the MAD card. I am attending the UCAS visit day on Saturday so I will ask then if anybody has any experience of using it. I will be studying biology so will be putting James/Vanbrugh/Derwent at the top of my list of accommodation preferences as they are close to the biology department.
Thank You again,
Elinor
Reply 3
bump; I did talk to students on the open day but they didn't know much about it; I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how widely the MAD card is used, specifically by those in Donald Barron and Barbara Scot courts. Thank you in advance :-)
This may or may not be helpful, as this is just personal experience and I do not use the MAD card, but I don't know anyone living in self-catered accommodation who has a MAD card. This is not to put you off - I often go to Vanbrugh/James dining hall for lunch and pay cash, but I think most (not all) people in self-catered accommodation prefer to save money by cooking for themselves. Again, I think the MAD card is a good idea if you don't want to cook for yourself (I know there are days where I wish someone else was cooking for me) so I really don't want to put you off, I'm just trying to give some insight. I'm not sure how it would work out financially (i.e. if catered accommodation would be cheaper than self-catered + MAD card) but I guess that's something you can look into.
Reply 5
Original post by bloovanmeer
This may or may not be helpful, as this is just personal experience and I do not use the MAD card, but I don't know anyone living in self-catered accommodation who has a MAD card. This is not to put you off - I often go to Vanbrugh/James dining hall for lunch and pay cash, but I think most (not all) people in self-catered accommodation prefer to save money by cooking for themselves. Again, I think the MAD card is a good idea if you don't want to cook for yourself (I know there are days where I wish someone else was cooking for me) so I really don't want to put you off, I'm just trying to give some insight. I'm not sure how it would work out financially (i.e. if catered accommodation would be cheaper than self-catered + MAD card) but I guess that's something you can look into.

Thank you. I think that catered would actually work out better financially for me as I am to the most experienced cook and I think there would be quite a few culinary disasters if I went self-catered. I was thinking of getting the dinner only mad card to save money further, as I think i am probably just about able to microwave my own porridge! I have a friend who is in James catered at the moment and put that as her first choice, so hopefully the same will happen for me. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by elliehb
Thank you. I think that catered would actually work out better financially for me as I am to the most experienced cook and I think there would be quite a few culinary disasters if I went self-catered. I was thinking of getting the dinner only mad card to save money further, as I think i am probably just about able to microwave my own porridge! I have a friend who is in James catered at the moment and put that as her first choice, so hopefully the same will happen for me. :smile:

Hiya,

Just to let you know our Accommodation application system opens on the 9th May this year. Catered accommodation is a popular choice with our first year undergraduates so I would recommend you apply as soon as possible to have the best chance of getting what you want. You might like to have a read through our How to Apply page for more details on the process.

Thanks,

Annie
Reply 7
Original post by University of York
Hiya,

Just to let you know our Accommodation application system opens on the 9th May this year. Catered accommodation is a popular choice with our first year undergraduates so I would recommend you apply as soon as possible to have the best chance of getting what you want. You might like to have a read through our How to Apply page for more details on the process.

Thanks,

Annie

Thank you. I have already drawn up a provisional list of preferences. What time does the application system open on the 9th? I have an EMPA exam that morning, but should hopefully be able to get online afterwards, during break time which is around 11 o'clock. Would the university increase the number of catered blocks available if there was high demand (ie by changing a self-catered block into catered) or is there a fixed number of catered blocks?
Original post by elliehb
Thank you. I have already drawn up a provisional list of preferences. What time does the application system open on the 9th? I have an EMPA exam that morning, but should hopefully be able to get online afterwards, during break time which is around 11 o'clock. Would the university increase the number of catered blocks available if there was high demand (ie by changing a self-catered block into catered) or is there a fixed number of catered blocks?

We don't have a specific time at the moment but we will be advertising it on the accommodation web pages in the run up to the date. It is most likely to be in the morning.

While we do have a fixed number of catered blocks that we don't increase due to the kitchen size, capacity and location it is very likely that if you apply on the 9th you will get one. You can also go back into your application until the 31 July and reorder your preferences so if you decide that you would prefer self-catered you can change it.

We have had the prices for the MAD cards through and it will work out to be the same cost as if you were in catered accommodation. You can also take the food away from the dining hall if you did want to sit in your own kitchen and eat but not cook for yourself!

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Annie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending