The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Ok - just curious whether I'm mad or not.

Have had 14 interviews or so in the past five months.

Been reserved at a set which offer around £30-40k for Pupillage and who want me on a mini Pupillage for a week- no idea what will come of it but they said they would like me over

Been offered Pupillage for a strict amount of 12k only in an area I'm not that favourable of.

Money isn't everything but I'm working for a top law firm on £22k a year in a region and living comfortably.

Have only passed my BPTC and can apply for another five years.

Should I A) accept offer? Take a loan in order to live in an area I don't know
B) wait it out until I get something that will allow me to live more comfortably. As I am thankfully getting interviews and have been reserved twice.

Looking for advice. This will affect my life and isn't as simple as asking family for money. I'm independent and don't have any relations.
Original post by Tiny92

Been reserved at a set which offer around £30-40k for Pupillage and who want me on a mini Pupillage for a week- no idea what will come of it but they said they would like me over

Been offered Pupillage for a strict amount of 12k only in an area I'm not that favourable of.

Money isn't everything but I'm working for a top law firm on £22k a year in a region and living comfortably.

B) wait it out until I get something that will allow me to live more comfortably. As I am thankfully getting interviews and have been reserved twice.

Looking for advice. This will affect my life and isn't as simple as asking family for money. I'm independent and don't have any relations.

If the first set you have been reserved for is in an area you like and offers a sum of money you can live off surely it would be best to go for that? I would say it also comes down to the types of practice at each set as well and the type of work you would be happier doing. As someone who is yet to secure a single interview I would say jump at the chance of option A and do the mini! Hope this is of some help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
South Square invites out.
Reply 383
Original post by LegalLab
If the first set you have been reserved for is in an area you like and offers a sum of money you can live off surely it would be best to go for that? I would say it also comes down to the types of practice at each set as well and the type of work you would be happier doing. As someone who is yet to secure a single interview I would say jump at the chance of option A and do the mini! Hope this is of some help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The mini is with the reserved pupillage offer. So i haven't got the cert offer. It would undoubtedly help with me applying there again.

The offer of pupillage is in the same area of law, just not as good exposure and in an area of Eng i know no one.

Think i may wait it out and apply to the set that reserved me when they open up applications again.
Original post by Radebe91
South Square invites out.

What format, may I ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Best guppy
What format, may I ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personalised email.
Guilford Chambers rejections out.
Original post by Tiny92

I think you have to be mindful that (1) pupillage is just for a year (2) the level of the award offered (low or high) may not reflect your likely earnings as a junior tenant (3) the level of award may not reflect the quality of work you will do as a pupil or a baby junior. What is probably more important is the opportunity the set offers you beyond pupillage in terms of earnings, quality of work, practice area, location and being happy in your personal and professional life. You have a solid offer : getting a reserve (no matter how many) isn't an offer. Take a step back and try and separate the pupillage award from the broader picture.
South Square rejections out by bulk (bcc) e-mail.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh. My. God.

Got there.

Good luck to everyone else this year - hopefully you're as fortunate as I have been.
Original post by Forum User
Oh. My. God.

Got there.

Good luck to everyone else this year - hopefully you're as fortunate as I have been.

Congrats. You've been putting us all to shame to be honest!

I'm sure you deserve it. You must have an incredible CV and good interview skills to boot.
Original post by Tiny92

Take it! And put the rest of us out of our misery into where it is so we can stop obsessing every time an email arrives.
Who did you get an offer from?

Oh. My. God.

Got there.

Original post by Best guppy
South Square rejections out by bulk (bcc) e-mail.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is anyone still waiting to hear from South Square? I haven't received an interview invite or rejection? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 394
Original post by shestheone
Take it! And put the rest of us out of our misery into where it is so we can stop obsessing every time an email arrives.

Haha thanks. Don't worry.
Does anyone know when we are likely to hear from 3SB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 396
Oh. My. God.

Got there.

Many congrats. Who's the lucky set?
Original post by gcafc
Many congrats. Who's the lucky set?

Thank you - Serle Court.
Thank you - Serle Court.

Warmest congratulations! What an achievement!

That's a fantastic set, too. My friend's sister is doing her pupillage there at the moment, and by all accounts loving every moment of it.

See you at the Bar! (No awful pun intended)
Thank you - Serle Court.

Congratulations - well deserved judging by the number of interviews you've been getting :smile:

On a sadder note, Erskine rejections out by personalised email.

Original post by LegalLab
Does anyone know when we are likely to hear from 3SB?

No but I'm also waiting... Anyone?

Original post by Tiny92

Although I'll likely be going against the grain here, I'd say go with your instincts and although the award isn't everything, it wouldn't be any good if you took the offer and ended up being miserable for a year, in further debt and in a location you hate.

Yes, on the one hand an offer is an offer, whilst a reserve place is not, BUT you do have to think about the bigger picture as well. Personally, this is why I haven't applied to any sets with an award lower than I would be comfortable with, because it does mean you risk putting yourself in the position you're currently in, except you're better off than most in having that many interviews. Also, there must be a reason the reserve place is inviting you in for a mini. Having said that, you never know what might happen in the next cycle if you don't take the offer and the reserve place remains as such - you might end up kicking yourself.

So as I said at the beginning, go with your gut but do think it through properly, considering all the risks and potential consequences either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending