The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kalclash
If you had one opportunity to travel forward or backwards in time and return back to this time again, where would you choose and why?

I would travel to the Wild West and ride with Billy the Kid and his group of outlaws. I find the man and the myth of Billy the Kid fascinating, and would love to find out what he was actually like and how events actually went down.

No point is speculating about something that's impossible - time travel to the past.

So I would just stay here. The future is too scary. :h:
Probably Rome during the reign of Augustus, or Athens during that of Pericles for that matter.
Reply 3
Original post by Kyx
No point is speculating about something that's impossible - time travel to the past.

So I would just stay here. The future is too scary. :h:

I agree, the future will be a scary place.

I don't think you should be so quick to say time travel is impossible. You can view the past, all the stars we see in the sky are far, far older than the versions we lay eyes on today. So surely it is not incomprehensible that you could view the Earths past if you were able to travel faster than the speed of light and look backwards?
Reply 4
Original post by The Warsmith
Probably Rome during the reign of Augustus, or Athens during that of Pericles for that matter.

Rome would be a great shout, to see such advanced technologies that weren't to be repeated again for hundreds of years. The Romans were a very clever, very brutal race.
I would only ever go forwards in time, never backwards as any little thing can create a huge change in the future.
Reply 6
I agree, the future will be a scary place.

I don't think you should be so quick to say time travel is impossible. You can view the past, all the stars we see in the sky are far, far older than the versions we lay eyes on today. So surely it is not incomprehensible that you could view the Earths past if you were able to travel faster than the speed of light and look backwards?

Yes, but faster than light (FTL, or superluminous) travel is not possible, unless you have been travelling at that speed forever. Which we haven't.
Reply 7
Original post by Kyx
Yes, but faster than light (FTL, or superluminous) travel is not possible, unless you have been travelling at that speed forever. Which we haven't.

They said flight was impossible once upon a time too. Then space travel. So why not FTL travel and time travel? One day my friend, one day!
Reply 8
They said flight was impossible once upon a time too. Then space travel. So why not FTL travel and time travel? One day my friend, one day!

:h:
Reply 9
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
I would only ever go forwards in time, never backwards as any little thing can create a huge change in the future.

By travelling forward you would still be altering future events, meaning that you would change future people's past. I like to think that if you went back and changed things, the future lives on but you create a new stream.
By travelling forward you would still be altering future events, meaning that you would change future people's past. I like to think that if you went back and changed things, the future lives on but you create a new stream.

By change "future" I meant our present. I should have typed that instead :3
If, when you change the future, you go onto a different time stream (World Lines if you mean the John Titor theory) then I'd be more likely to go to the past. I'd still probably stick to the future only though :smile:
I'd go back to stop the people who travelled back to kill Hitler.

For the drinking, eating, and orgies?
Original post by thunder_chunky

More the architecture (I'll be bringing my camera!) and the Library of Alexandria (in which case, I will pack my bag with as many scrolls as possible.
Reply 13

Probably just for the orgies...

As usual xkcd has a pertinent comic:

I want to go forward by 10 years
Reply 16
Original post by Daniellaaa
I want to go forward by 10 years

Interesting choice! What interests you specifically about 2016?
Reply 17
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

Classic!
More the architecture (I'll be bringing my camera!) and the Library of Alexandria (in which case, I will pack my bag with as many scrolls as possible.

I'd appreciate the architecture, probably, but I'd appreciate the drinking and orgies even more.
Probably just for the orgies...

Damn skippy.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

I ****ing love those comics.
I would honestly be incredibly boring. I would go back to August 2009, on holiday in Portugal with my twinthing and my parents, 7 months before my mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Ideally, of course, I would then change the past so that she was diagnosed sooner and the outcome was different. If that was not possible, I would just enjoy relaxing by the pool, sunbathing and wandering around Portugal with my mum. :smile:

If I had to go further into history, I would either go to Rome and see the gladiators, or back to the first Olympics in Athens, 'cos I bet that would be fun.

Latest