The Student Room Group

Rhodes must fall campaign backfires.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aceadria
Glad you proved my point. My views are irrelevant and nor are they being discussed. You made a silly claim so back it up.

And I'm glad you proved my point. Obviously you dont have the intelligence to see my jab was just mirroring your infantilism.

Original post by Aceadria
Your post and your views are not separate entities. If they are, that makes you one of a few things but most notably a hypocrite.

So you're saying its impossible for someone to ever say anything unbiased or "a-biased"? :rolleyes:

Anyway this discussion has become pointless digression, and the point I was trying to make with my original post has become completely overshadowed.

Sayonara.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ronda Rousey
I guess I shouldnt be surprised you righties are incapable of comprehending basic points.

I never said I was unbiased. I said the post I made, that you have all been criticising as leftist nonsense, is unbiased.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, it was leftish nonsense. Critical of rich, right wing Oriel graduates who brought their old college back into line by reminding it that he who pays the piper calls the tune.

You lost. Rhodes still stands. You can take a look at it if you want? It is bang in the middle of Oxford High Street, just look up as you reach Oriel on the south side, about half way along.

He dominates all he surveys. As he did in life, actually. :biggrin:
Original post by JezWeCan!
Nah, it was leftish nonsense. Critical of rich, right wing Oriel graduates who brought their old college back into line by reminding it that he who pays the piper calls the tune.

You lost. Rhodes still stands. You can take a look at it if you want? It is bang in the middle of Oxford High Street, just look up as you reach Oriel on the south side, about half way along.

He dominates all he surveys. As he did in life, actually. :biggrin:

Quite difficult for me to be critical of "rich Oxford graduates" when I am one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quite difficult for me to be critical of "rich Oxford graduates" when I am one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So am I.

And?
So am I.

And?

Again, I made that point to add to the point that what I said was not left or right leaning. I mentioned the point about the saudi millionaire because its a perfect example, not because I'm some sort of robin hood who hates the rich.

The fact this discussion has gone on so long is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And I'm glad you proved my point. Obviously you dont have the intelligence to see my jab was just mirroring your infantilism.

You're digressing.

So you're saying its impossible for someone to ever say anything unbiased or "a-biased"? :rolleyes:

That's not what I said. One can indeed make an unbiased statement, but one cannot conclude with certitude that your political opinions and views were excluded when the information about the case were presented to you. Your own prejudice almost certainly clouded your bias, as shown by the aforementioned thread.

Anyway this discussion has become pointless digression, and the point I was trying to make with my original post has become completely overshadowed.

So be it.
(edited 8 years ago)
The British ISIS wanted to take down statues, glad to see (forced) common sense prevail.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I wonder about the motives of some of these people. Why would a UL former Provost be chipping in and banging on about taking responsibility? I actually work in a part of the loose federation that now makes up the University of London and what you really notice here is that taking responsibility for anything is something that senior management is above all, desperate not to do. :rolleyes:

Bryan Thwaites was provost 1966-1984.

He no doubt regards the queen as a slip of a lass.
Original post by nulli tertius
Bryan Thwaites was provost 1966-1984.

He no doubt regards the queen as a slip of a lass.

So he was just being superior? Blimey. What a creep.

Suits the press at times like this to find any old commentator who sounds like they might be in some small way vaguely credible to issue a public put-down.
(edited 8 years ago)
So he was just being superior? Blimey. What a creep.

Suits the press at times like this to find any old commentator who sounds like they might be in some small way vaguely credible to issue a public put-down.

Oh come on, you surely can't think the Provost has handled this well?

We all know that Oxbridge colleges are very conservative (with a small c) places. And every Old Member knows they spend every waking moment trying to squeeze money out of you, whilst current undergraduates have to do the ringing around drumming it up, so they should know all too well too.

Old Members have to be listened to, it is how the system works. Their financial endowments are the lifeblood of the college.

Temporizing was always only going to antagonise both sides and make everything worse.

Compare Ivor Crewe, who acted decisively and with speed. I am an Old Member of Univ and some of us organised a campaign to put pressure on him over the renaming of the Rhodes Room in College. It didn't take long: we were tipped the wink it was never going to happen right after the first email was sent.
Oh come on, you surely can't think the Provost has handled this well?

We all know that Oxbridge colleges are very conservative (with a small c) places. And every Old Member knows they spend every waking moment trying to squeeze money out of you, whilst current undergraduates have to do the ringing around drumming it up, so they should know all too well too.

Old Members have to be listened to, it is how the system works. Their financial endowments are the lifeblood of the college.

Temporizing was always only going to antagonise both sides and make everything worse.

Compare Ivor Crewe, who acted decisively and with speed. I am an Old Member of Univ and some of us organised a campaign to put pressure on him over the renaming of the Rhodes Room in College. It didn't take long: we were tipped the wink it was never going to happen right after the first email was sent.

I think you mean that reactionary forces are easy to recruit in Oxford and therefore you are regularly on the 'winning' side? :rolleyes: I don't see that as a 'good' thing.

In fact, the more I hear from the vested interests, the celebrators of colonialist racism hiding in the woodwork of 'we've always done it this way' and the reactionary Oxford Mullahs who yell 'nothing can change' every time any change is ever suggested, the more I want to side with the black activists who want this change.

I'm starting to hate that damn statue.
I think you mean that reactionary forces are easy to recruit in Oxford and therefore you are regularly on the 'winning' side? :rolleyes: I don't see that as a 'good' thing.

In fact, the more I hear from the vested interests, the celebrators of colonialist racism hiding in the woodwork of 'we've always done it this way' and the reactionary Oxford Mullahs who yell 'nothing can change' every time any change is ever suggested, the more I want to side with the black activists who want this change.

I'm starting to hate that damn statue.

The only way that statue is coming down is vandalism or bad weather.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
The only way that statue is coming down is vandalism or bad weather.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would be willing to settle for the renaming of the scholarships.

That takes hypocrisy to new heights (or should that be depths?). You would be in favour of people accepting the man's money to pursue their studies and advance their careers, as long as he isn't credited as having supplied that money?

The Rhodes scholarships are given out by the Rhodes Trust based at Rhodes House which would only be possible thanks to Rhodes.

I don't think they will be changing the name.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Rhodes scholarships are given out by the Rhodes Trust based at Rhodes House which would only be possible thanks to Rhodes.

I don't think they will be changing the name.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Something like the Post-Rhodes Scholarships might work.
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Something like the Post-Rhodes Scholarships might work.

Is the "post" part necessary given he has been dead over 100 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the "post" part necessary given he has been dead over 100 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, Mandela Scolarship has a nice ring to it - the Rhodes could be replaced by that, far more relevant to the contemporary era.
Well, Mandela Scolarship has a nice ring to it - the Rhodes could be replaced by that, far more relevant to the contemporary era.

but without the Rhodes scholarship money right.

How about those who don't want the scholarship don't apply for it but rather create their own and fund it themselves?

He wasn't much better than Rhodes in his actions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply