The Student Room Group

how stressful do you find university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James A
Pharmacy at Reading - 3rd year

Tough old degree :redface:

how pre reg applications going?
1st year of English Literature at Glasgow University. I honestly could not care less about uni: I haven't read a single book for my course all year and you're lucky if I go to half of my lectures. Still averaging a solid upper second class mark though, so I can keep up the act for my parents for a little longer at least. I imagine there must be others on the course who get stressed out. I just can't be bothered. I'd rather sleep than stress.
Reply 42
It's fine until the night before the assignment deadline lol
I do IR in Edinburgh and it's quite very ****ing stressful. You've got assignment after assignment after assignment and then there are exams in both December and May. In some unis you've only got exam at the end of the year and that's it. I can't imagine how difficult it should be for the guys who do medicine.
Pharmacy at University of Nottingham.

First year was a giant leap from A-Level, and the most stressful thing was trying to change my studying habits to do well for the assessments since information was no longer spoon-fed and there was a lot of independent study required to do well. Once I knew how to do well in exams, second semester was a breeze!

2nd year, I stressed myself out because I got really competitive over grades. It was unhealthy for me mentally and physically and I legit turned into a hermit!

3rd year first semester, I was forced to work hard because of the workload! Although, I managed my time effectively and was ahead of lectures by a week so I wasn't too stressed during exam season. Second semester was dissertation time. Absolutely loved my topic and did my write-up fairly early on - never have I ever had such a chill assessment period!

4th year first semester was hectic. The assessments were weird and we got little guidance on how to do them well. It was also all group-work based - so as well as tackling the timely demands of upcoming deadlines, you also had to deal with the emotions and expectations of your group. I barely revised over the exam period because I was so burnt out and I don't feel I did myself justice in this exam period. Now currently in my final semester, I'm chilled atm...but I bet that's not going to last long! :P.
Third year chemist at Bristol (currently on placement).

First year: 7/10 Did no reading over the summer, was severely behind and nearly dropped out first term.
Second year: 9/10 (Huge step up from first year, was applying for loooads of placements and had a part-time job during summer exams as well)
Third year: 8/10 Work isn't so bad, it's just waking up so damn early. Also still severely behind on the distance learning I have to do
Original post by Platopus
Shoot. I've found the texts at AS/A-level fine to understand but I guess we must start with the easy stuff! Which core texts have you found particularly hard?

You don't really use any named philosopher's works at 1st year. It's all introductory. I did use a few when I was writing an essay on dualism.

But I will be encountering a few in 2nd year. Currently trying to debate whether to pick Ancient Philosophy (Plato's Republic and Artistotle's Ethics) or Early Modern Philosophy (Hume's Enquiry and Descartes' 1st Philosophy).

It's just the concepts it 10x harder and your lecturers will most likely say to you "forget everything you were taught at A-level". Which is true because 90% of what I was taught is not the correct view of what the Philosophers actually thought. It's quite ridiculous! This is why studying Philosophy at A-level isn't needed for you to study it at uni!
Reply 47
Like someone asked before. Economics anybody?!!

Is it laid back or stressfull?
How much math/theory is involved?
Do you like it or regret it?
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
You don't really use any named philosopher's works at 1st year. It's all introductory. I did use a few when I was writing an essay on dualism.

But I will be encountering a few in 2nd year. Currently trying to debate whether to pick Ancient Philosophy (Plato's Republic and Artistotle's Ethics) or Early Modern Philosophy (Hume's Enquiry and Descartes' 1st Philosophy).

It's just the concepts it 10x harder and your lecturers will most likely say to you "forget everything you were taught at A-level". Which is true because 90% of what I was taught is not the correct view of what the Philosophers actually thought. It's quite ridiculous! This is why studying Philosophy at A-level isn't needed for you to study it at uni!

Sounds tough :frown: did you study philosophy at A-level? (Straight philosophy, not Phil & ethics). I've read all of those either in class or in my own time and thought I understood them but given what you have said I suspect I must have been mistaken!
Original post by Platopus
Sounds tough :frown: did you study philosophy at A-level? (Straight philosophy, not Phil & ethics). I've read all of those either in class or in my own time and thought I understood them but given what you have said I suspect I must have been mistaken!

No I didn't. But I've been getting very good results - averaging in upper 2:1.

Well, you can understand them. I'm not saying they are universally impossible to understand. But from my own experience, I found it hard to understand Descartes' 1st Philosophy. I tried ready Humes' Enquiry but really failed to understand it. It was worded in such a way, I just couldn't handle it.

It's funny because, I don't get much of philosophical writing, but I understand their concepts if that makes sense?

It's like understanding writing. You understand how to fit a sentence or paragraph together, but most people do not know the linguistic elements of writing. They just understand it!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
No I didn't. But I've been getting very good results - averaging in upper 2:1.

Well, you can understand them. I'm not saying they are universally impossible to understand. But from my own experience, I found it hard to understand Descartes' 1st Philosophy. I tried ready Humes' Enquiry but really failed to understand it. It was worded in such a way, I just couldn't handle it.

It's funny because, I don't get much of philosophical writing, but I understand their concepts if that makes sense?

It's like understanding writing. You understand how to fit a sentence or paragraph together, but most people do not know the linguistic elements of writing. They just understand it!

Oh sorry I didn't mean to imply that you didn't understand the concepts or anything! Having studied them at university level, you clearly are in a much better position to make accurate judgements than me. I think you're probably right about the language - I just have a knack for being able to read and understand quite wordy things. It helps me get a lot of passages in English lit which the rest of my class struggle with in first read too.
Original post by HAnwar
It's fine until the night before the assignment deadline lol

This
Where?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The Philosophy parts of PPE. :ashamed:

Where?
Reply 54
Chemistry at Durham, 1st year. I'm lazy af, I don't stress (I just give up). It is very hard and requires a lot of work, so I'm not in the best position, but university is very fun
What about History at Cambridge?
Original post by Banana00
What about History at Cambridge?

You'd be better off posting here to ask about that specific course and uni:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=15

You'll be more likely to get relevant replies.
Original post by SophieSmall
You'd be better off posting here to ask about that specific course and uni:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=15

You'll be more likely to get relevant replies.

Thank you!:h::h:
PhD in Biochem at Imperial. There are days where I get pretty stressed out but also days where I find it so rewarding that the long hours and weekends spent at work pale into insignificance.
Reply 59
What about medicine at any uni?

Quick Reply

Latest