The Student Room Group

PAG 4.1 Identifying unknowns help please?

I did an experiment to identify unknown ions in mixture A and I've attached images of the sheets.

For step 9 on procedure part 1 I've identified the ions as Cl- but I can't identify the 2nd negative ion.
For step 10 I wrote the equation Ag+ (aq) + Cl-(aq) --> AgCl (s) but I don't know the 2nd equation.

Also for step 5 on procedure part 2 I identified the ion as Ba2+ but I'm not sure what the formula is.

Thank you!
Original post by osayuki
I did an experiment to identify unknown ions in mixture A and I've attached images of the sheets.

For step 9 on procedure part 1 I've identified the ions as Cl- but I can't identify the 2nd negative ion.
For step 10 I wrote the equation Ag+ (aq) + Cl-(aq) --> AgCl (s) but I don't know the 2nd equation.

Also for step 5 on procedure part 2 I identified the ion as Ba2+ but I'm not sure what the formula is.

Thank you!

Warning - sideways attachments, danger of neck strain ...
Reply 2
Original post by charco
Warning - sideways attachments, danger of neck strain ...

Haha :redface: sorry I took the pictures on my phone in portrait. I'm not sure why their came out sideways when I attached them.
I'll try again here.
Original post by osayuki
Haha :redface: sorry I took the pictures on my phone in portrait. I'm not sure why their came out sideways when I attached them.
I'll try again here.

Warning - assessed coursework - do it yourself.
Reply 4
Original post by TeachChemistry
Warning - assessed coursework - do it yourself.

It's not coursework, it was a practice experiment before the real experiment in a few weeks. My teacher went over the results and answers today with me.
Thank you for your concern though.
Did you ever find out what they were, im stuck on the same topic
Reply 6
Original post by Mistylemon
Did you ever find out what they were, im stuck on the same topic

My practical book is at school but I think I remember them. In part 1 the chloride ions in silver chloride produced a white precipitate. The other ion is carbonate ions which fizzed.For part 2 sulfate ions in barium sulfate produced a white precipitate.
Original post by osayuki
My practical book is at school but I think I remember them. In part 1 the chloride ions in silver chloride produced a white precipitate. The other ion is carbonate ions which fizzed.For part 2 sulfate ions in barium sulfate produced a white precipitate.

Ok thanks, carbonate was what i was thinking but thanks for confirming
Did mixture A contain BaCl2 and BaCO3?
Reply 9
Original post by Frank Peters
Did mixture A contain BaCl2 and BaCO3?

I remember there being chloride and carbonate ions (I don't remember what the metal was sorry, my book isn't at home).
barium sulphate and barium sulphite are both white ppt, but only strong acids in excess (excluding H2SO4) can differentiate them. Not sure if this is covered in your qualitative analysis or not.
Hi guys I missed the practical and i'm doing it on this Thursday, in the PAG 4 booklet what types of questions where there and how many were there?
Original post by 14.suthasanA
Hi guys I missed the practical and i'm doing it on this Thursday, in the PAG 4 booklet what types of questions where there and how many were there?

is it pag 4.1 or 4.2
Honestly don't know, its qualitative analysis of anions and cations. My teacher said that he's going to reorder it and some people haven't also done it.
Original post by 14.suthasanA
Honestly don't know, its qualitative analysis of anions and cations. My teacher said that he's going to reorder it and some people haven't also done it.

that's weird cant find a topic on cations and anions.
What exam board do you do

Quick Reply

Latest