The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Portsmouth university 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ebrittia
I am considering making this uni my firm choice, but I have not heard positive things about their accommodations. Any opinions on which accommodations are better? I'm an international student so I won't be able to see the uni until I arrive for classes.

What negative things have you heard?
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Original post by PottyLottie1993
I have received my unconditional offer for Hospitality Management at Portsmouth Uni and my place is accepted and confirm now just the waiting game till September :h:

Congrats! I did apply for Hospitality Management too! Are you attending applicants open day? :smile:
Original post by arjunnpatel97
What negative things have you heard?

Bugs in some of the dorms, mold problems, not being able to get a spot in the dorms after your first year. Those types of things.
Original post by Sarah977
Congrats! I did apply for Hospitality Management too! Are you attending applicants open day? :smile:

Hi yeah 23rd April what about you

Posted from TSR Mobile
I emailed them about not being able to get dorms after ur first year and that's because only first year students are priority for dorms second and third year aren't.. They said you could get a dorm and this is for all universities
Reply 165
Original post by Crazyjoesmith
Hey I thought I was start a thread as I didn't see one. I plan on studying Sport and Exercise science undergrade. what do you want to study and are you under or postgraduate ?

Hii!

I'm planning on studying Sports and Exercise science at Portsmouth! I'm going to applicant day next week!:smile:
Studying undergrad, and start in September :biggrin:
I've just found out today that University of Portsmouth has declined me for studying Diagnostic Radiography but has offered me a place for studying Human Physiology instead. I don't know why they have done that because I thought I did pretty well in the interviews. Also, does anyone know why they have offered me a place for a different course?
Original post by morningstar49
I've just found out today that University of Portsmouth has declined me for studying Diagnostic Radiography but has offered me a place for studying Human Physiology instead. I don't know why they have done that because I thought I did pretty well in the interviews. Also, does anyone know why they have offered me a place for a different course?

They probably didnt think you werent right for the course happened to a friend with Sussex who got offered 3 different courses it was probably what you said or did at the interview they think the other course was better

And can you just answer these questions for me since i have an interview coming on wednesday!
How was the interview (were they easy going and friendly?)
How many people interviewed you ?
Were you invited to workshop? If yes what happened at the workshop?
Are the optional tours (have to come in at 9am) worth it?
And in general how was the day?
Original post by nhart22
I have an unconditional offer for English Language :smile:. Any other mature students applying and choosing halls? I'll be 23 in first year.

Yes mate, I've got an unconditional to study Politics, I'll be 25 in August and hopefully living in dorms!
I have a conditional offer for Geological Hazards!
I'm studying an Access course at the moment.
Original post by 6thformer25
They probably didnt think you werent right for the course happened to a friend with Sussex who got offered 3 different courses it was probably what you said or did at the interview they think the other course was better

And can you just answer these questions for me since i have an interview coming on wednesday!
How was the interview (were they easy going and friendly?)
How many people interviewed you ?
Were you invited to workshop? If yes what happened at the workshop?
Are the optional tours (have to come in at 9am) worth it?
And in general how was the day?

Oh no, bless her! I swear I felt ever so confident that I completely said the right answers in my interview though but oh well.

Yeahhh sure!

The interview was pretty good actually, weren't intimidating or anything!
There were two people interviewing me.
Nope, there wasn't any workshop for me.
No the tours aren't optional because when you come in at 9 am, they do your CRB check etc! Plus, the tours were kinda worth it for me because you'll get a feel of the uni's surroundings. And you won't get lost :biggrin:
The day was good but there was a lot of walking to do during the tour though. I didn't find the day stressful though, I was actually quite prepared for my interview!
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by morningstar49
Oh no, bless her! I swear I felt ever so confident that I completely said the right answers in my interview though but oh well.

Yeahhh sure!

The interview was pretty good actually, weren't intimidating or anything!
There were two people interviewing me.
Nope, there wasn't any workshop for me.
No the tours aren't optional because when you come in at 9 am, they do your CRB check etc! Plus, the tours were kinda worth it for me because you'll get a feel of the uni's surroundings. And you won't get lost :biggrin:
The day was good but there was a lot of walking to do during the tour though. I didn't find the day stressful though, I was actually quite prepared for my interview!
Hope this helps :smile:

Well the friends a he :smile: and what is a CRB check and what else did they do? i messaged them regarding coming in at 9am and they said it is optional and i can come in at 12 but come as soon as i can... i live in London gna be hard to come in at 9

And what sort of questions did they ask in the interview (did they ask to see ur portfoliio)
I got a conditional offer to study International Relations at Portsmouth! Going to the Applicant day on 12th March :smile:
Reply 173
Anyone planning to transfer to portsmouth university into 2nd year? I'm Wondering if halls are available to second year students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
they are to some, like international or if you have health issues... however its worth contacting accomodation phone number as theyre building more halls so can accommodate more students into halls now.
Original post by Crazyjoesmith
I mean if you place them as your insurance of course they will give the accommodation to those who have made them their firm first. However I'm sure there should be some go those who have them as an insurance. Are you going to visit Portsmouth at some point if so I reccomemend asking then and they should let you know. :smile:

My friends were offered accommodation last minute after results/during clearing so there is a chance you will still get accommodation. If not, the uni gives you LOADS of help in finding a house in your first year. My friends who didn't get accommodation in their first year didn't feel like they missed out with any experiences in private housing.
Original post by ebrittia
Bugs in some of the dorms, mold problems, not being able to get a spot in the dorms after your first year. Those types of things.

Dorms are reserved for first years except in exceptional circumstances but you'll be glad to be able to move out with friends for a different experience :smile:

As for bugs; if you keep your room and kitchen messy and dirty, only then is it likely to happen. Same with mould, if there was anything then the uni will send maintenance to sort out. More likely to have issues with mould in private accommodation where the houses are all very old.
hey ive applied for the Media Studies Course there! Undergraduate starting September
Original post by AngelOfDarkness
hey ive applied for the Media Studies Course there! Undergraduate starting September

Me too! Are you planning to go to Portsmouth or are you waiting for other offers too? :smile:
Original post by nhart22
I have an unconditional offer for English Language :smile:. Any other mature students applying and choosing halls? I'll be 23 in first year.

I'm 25 with an unconditional for electronic engineering. what halls are you going for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending