The Student Room Group

CIE resources

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Audrey18
no prob. happy to help. thanks for giving me rep.

Sorry, im not that familiar with the site, so didn't know, done it now :smile:
Original post by JustANormalGuy
Hello!

I looked at the resources on TSR, and there were 0 results for CIE AS level mathematics, or just CIE mathematics at all.
Which board is the closest in syllabus to CIE, or where could I find study/revision resources for CIE AS level - Pure mathematics, Statistics-P1-S1- modules?

Regards.

Hey- really needed to read this thread.
Before I was interested in doing CIE Maths for AS but I was searching online for resources and for someone self-teaching the course it seems quite difficult. I was wondering how to teachers teach Maths concerning this exam board abroad and the resources they use. There are so many past papers but then again no dedicated youtube videos that are dedicated to showing how to do the questions. In addition their past papers look so difficult though there are only 10 questions for P1 and 7 for the others. I don't know if I should just still with Edexcel. I only became interested in CIE due to being given more time to study for AS.
Original post by TeeEm
what is special about the topics of CIE?
maths is maths ...

I don't even know but for some reason I have this notion that CIE Maths is completely different or foreign compared to Edexcel Maths and OCR. Maybe because of the text books and resources dedicated to Edexcel. Not to sound cowardly but CIE maths seems so intimidating and difficult. I'm now trying to find a tutor. The tutors I asked about CIE maths said unfortunately they couldn't help me because they were unfamiliar with the exam board. Due to this- I thought it was some how different or completely different sets of maths or something.
Reply 23
Original post by Cherry82
I don't even know but for some reason I have this notion that CIE Maths is completely different or foreign compared to Edexcel Maths and OCR. Maybe because of the text books and resources dedicated to Edexcel. Not to sound cowardly but CIE maths seems so intimidating and difficult. I'm now trying to find a tutor. The tutors I asked about CIE maths said unfortunately they couldn't help me because they were unfamiliar with the exam board. Due to this- I thought it was some how different or completely different sets of maths or something.

Just another board ... nothing special except that their modules are denser and they do not have as many modules.
Original post by TeeEm
Just another board ... nothing special except that their modules are denser and they do not have as many modules.

Hm I see. This is extremely comforting lol
Did you take CIE at a level by any chance? If you so we need to have a chat haha. By the way thank you for the personal rating, appreciate it :h:
Reply 25
Hm I see. This is extremely comforting lol
Did you take CIE at a level by any chance? If you so we need to have a chat haha. By the way thank you for the personal rating, appreciate it :h:

Did I take CIE?

I took London B board!!
That was a very very long time ago ....
By the way guys, for CIE maths at A level how many papers would students sit? On the spec it says students must take P1, P3 or M1, M2, S1 or S2. Why would you need to sit P1 again if you had taken it at AS level? I was super confused when reading this on the specification. Also could someone explain what P2 is- it seems that you wouldn't need P2 to study P3 in A2 but I thought P2 was after P1 like C1 and C2 which are continuations.
Original post by TeeEm
Did I take CIE?

I took London B board!!
That was a very very long time ago ....

Lol I see.
By the way guys, for CIE maths at A level how many papers would students sit? On the spec it says students must take P1, P3 or M1, M2, S1 or S2. Why would you need to sit P1 again if you had taken it at AS level? I was super confused when reading this on the specification. Also could someone explain what P2 is- it seems that you wouldn't need P2 to study P3 in A2 but I thought P2 was after P1 like C1 and C2 which are continuations.

4 papers, you can choose from some combinations.
If you do AS in 1 year, and A2 next year then:
AS: P1 AND S1 OR M1 OR P2
A2: P3 AND S2 OR M2

If you do both AS and A in 1 year then:
P1-P3 AND S1-S2 OR M1-M2 OR M1-S2 OR S1-M2

Note that pure maths -P3 is P2+extra stuff.

Im studying alone aswell, its possible to do it, i recommend checking some videos on khanacademy, and if you have questions use stackexchange.net

I will do both AS and A2 at the end of next year, P1-P3 and S1-S2, If you are insterested we could help out each other, if we have questions :P
4 papers, you can choose from some combinations.
If you do AS in 1 year, and A2 next year then:
AS: P1 AND S1 OR M1 OR P2
A2: P3 AND S2 OR M2

If you do both AS and A in 1 year then:
P1-P3 AND S1-S2 OR M1-M2 OR M1-S2 OR S1-M2

Note that pure maths -P3 is P2+extra stuff.

Im studying alone aswell, its possible to do it, i recommend checking some videos on khanacademy, and if you have questions use stackexchange.net

I will do both AS and A2 at the end of next year, P1-P3 and S1-S2, If you are insterested we could help out each other, if we have questions :P

So sorry for replying late, not sure why am I only seeing the notification now.
Yea, I understand- thanks for clarifying :smile:

I called CIE yesterday and they had explained that if I sit P1 and P2 this year- I can't continue onto A2. That the P1 and P2 combination are for students who want to only do the AS level course but not continue it onto A2. Imagine I was so close to making the mistake of choosing those two papers together with the hopes of continuing onto A2 lol I've currently decided to take S1 though I was moving more towards M1. S1 seems quite difficult and I've heard CIE's Stats exams are brutal. I've studied M1 before, kinda. But because I'd like to do business- was told Stats would be more beneficial. Yea, Khanacademy is awesome- so is examsolutions, he's good too.

Oh cool, sure that would be great.
But please understand I'm no mathematical genus hahaha and stats would be completely new to me. Have you started studying yet for your exams. Initially I had planned to take Edexcel C1, C2 and D1 so I was focusing on those modules but because of time- realised I was super behind and didn't want my other subjects to suffer from spending hours self teaching. I think at lunch times- I'm going to go and speak to some maths teachers for help also. So if you have any questions I could ask them for you if I can't answer the question myself :h:
In GCSE stats was a weak area for me but I'm hoping to spend time to really try and understand it.
Hope you don't mind me asking but are you are UK student taking CIE exams and in your first year?
So sorry for replying late, not sure why am I only seeing the notification now.
Yea, I understand- thanks for clarifying :smile:

I called CIE yesterday and they had explained that if I sit P1 and P2 this year- I can't continue onto A2. That the P1 and P2 combination are for students who want to only do the AS level course but not continue it onto A2. Imagine I was so close to making the mistake of choosing those two papers together with the hopes of continuing onto A2 lol I've currently decided to take S1 though I was moving more towards M1. S1 seems quite difficult and I've heard CIE's Stats exams are brutal. I've studied M1 before, kinda. But because I'd like to do business- was told Stats would be more beneficial. Yea, Khanacademy is awesome- so is examsolutions, he's good too.

Oh cool, sure that would be great.
But please understand I'm no mathematical genus hahaha and stats would be completely new to me. Have you started studying yet for your exams. Initially I had planned to take Edexcel C1, C2 and D1 so I was focusing on those modules but because of time- realised I was super behind and didn't want my other subjects to suffer from spending hours self teaching. I think at lunch times- I'm going to go and speak to some maths teachers for help also. So if you have any questions I could ask them for you if I can't answer the question myself :h:
In GCSE stats was a weak area for me but I'm hoping to spend time to really try and understand it.
Hope you don't mind me asking but are you are UK student taking CIE exams and in your first year?

No problem :smile:
Oh, I didn't know that either, good to know. Well I actually think Statistics is quite easy :O Tho everyone around me says it's really hard, so far I had no problems, so I could help with that :smile: I will do P1-S1 aswell.
I got my books late, so I started studying 1-2weeks ago, that's why I decided to make both AS and A2 next year, in one go, instead of P1-S1 this year and P3-S2 next year.
I did start studying anyways, since the amount I have to study won't be less.. :biggrin:
No questions so far, but thanks a lot for the offer :smile:

EDIT: I will still take some exams this year, so those get bigger focus for now, and I'm planning to catch up with maths at summer, but I would still like to finish 80-90% of it untill then.
(edited 8 years ago)
No problem :smile:
Oh, I didn't know that either, good to know. Well I actually think Statistics is quite easy :O Tho everyone around me says it's really hard, so far I had no problems, so I could help with that :smile: I will do P1-S1 aswell.
I got my books late, so I started studying 1-2weeks ago, that's why I decided to make both AS and A2 next year, in one go, instead of P1-S1 this year and P3-S2 next year.
I did start studying anyways, since the amount I have to study won't be less.. :biggrin:
No questions so far, but thanks a lot for the offer :smile:

EDIT: I will still take some exams this year, so those get bigger focus for now, and I'm planning to catch up with maths at summer, but I would still like to finish 80-90% of it untill then.

Really? Wow. Yea same here, apart from me most people around me also claim it's hard too. But you haven't had no problems at all even though your self teaching? That's awesome. Mind me asking, what textbooks are you using? I was planning to use Edexcel's books to learn some content while doing past paper questions from the exam board it's self. My fear though is self teaching P3 next year as I've heard there's some further maths content in it. My fear is being helpless as none of my teachers at school know of CIE but are aware of maths and doing maths. Oh cool, I see. So when you say next year, next year as in year 13 or next year 2017?
Really? Wow. Yea same here, apart from me most people around me also claim it's hard too. But you haven't had no problems at all even though your self teaching? That's awesome. Mind me asking, what textbooks are you using? I was planning to use Edexcel's books to learn some content while doing past paper questions from the exam board it's self. My fear though is self teaching P3 next year as I've heard there's some further maths content in it. My fear is being helpless as none of my teachers at school know of CIE but are aware of maths and doing maths. Oh cool, I see. So when you say next year, next year as in year 13 or next year 2017?

Y13, which is 2017 :P
Yes, I don't have problems with statistics, but pure maths is a bit harder to learn alone. But math was always my best subject so...:biggrin:
I'm using this series: http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Mathematics-International-Cambridge-Examinations/dp/0521530113/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
I believe there are the other 5 books as a recommended on amazon.
Y13, which is 2017 :P
Yes, I don't have problems with statistics, but pure maths is a bit harder to learn alone. But math was always my best subject so...:biggrin:
I'm using this series: http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Mathematics-International-Cambridge-Examinations/dp/0521530113/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
I believe there are the other 5 books as a recommended on amazon.

Ah, yea I understand.
Cool. Sorry for asking so much questions :smile: thanks for bearing with me and answering them lol. It's just I'm trying to understand and adjust to CIE now for maths. I'm worrying over results day for the november exams and UCAS applications. My teacher thinks waiting until the 10th of January for my result in AS maths then sending my application would be too late though it would be before the deadline (15th Jan).
Ah, yea I understand.
Cool. Sorry for asking so much questions :smile: thanks for bearing with me and answering them lol. It's just I'm trying to understand and adjust to CIE now for maths. I'm worrying over results day for the november exams and UCAS applications. My teacher thinks waiting until the 10th of January for my result in AS maths then sending my application would be too late though it would be before the deadline (15th Jan).

You are welcome, no problem at all. :smile: Feel free to ask anytime, in PM too if that's better :biggrin:
I know how it feels, I had to understand the whole British system almost alone :'D I would it was harder than the actual material for A-levels...xD
Oh, so you already did AS in november? Good luck with your results!
You are welcome, no problem at all. :smile: Feel free to ask anytime, in PM too if that's better :biggrin:
I know how it feels, I had to understand the whole British system almost alone :'D I would it was harder than the actual material for A-levels...xD
Oh, so you already did AS in november? Good luck with your results!

Aw you're so kind!
Oh no, sorry I meant November 2016. I am a repeat student but started year 12 again.
Aw you're so kind!
Oh no, sorry I meant November 2016. I am a repeat student but started year 12 again.

Oh, I see. Well, then good luck with your exams :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest