The Student Room Group

Moments questions help!!!!

Can anyone help me with this question? I know that the sum of clockwise moments equals the sum of anti-clockwise moments.
But what would you multiply by what? For example, what distance would you multiply 230N by? Would it be 4.25m?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1454532632.967518.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Can anyone help me with this question? I know that the sum of clockwise moments equals the sum of anti-clockwise moments.
But what would you multiply by what? For example, what distance would you multiply 230N by? Would it be 4.25m?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1454532632.967518.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a uniform beam so the weight will act through the centre of mass in the middle on the beam, ie. 5m from each end, 4m from the wall on the left. If you take moments about that wall, you can figure out the support force from the other wall.
Original post by tinkerbella~
It's a uniform beam so the weight will act through the centre of mass in the middle on the beam, ie. 5m from each end, 4m from the wall on the left. If you take moments about that wall, you can figure out the support force from the other wall.

Thank you! How would I do part 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Thank you! How would I do part 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Newton's Third law.
Original post by Zacken
Newton's Third law.

You the real MVP
Reply 5
Original post by tinkerbella~
You the real MVP

Excuse me? I'm a human, not the mean value property. That's some weird ass topographical stuff. I'm not weird ass topographical stuff. Rude.

Quick Reply

Latest