The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1400
Original post by Camilli
I'd often thought it would be fun to put that when signing into a hotel-- especially in Germany, where they take all that stuff much more seriously.

Oh, that's definitely different, agreed, My meetings with German people were all "herr dokter" where UK/US equivalents were first name basis.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Josb
So today's big day for history applicants, but apparently only from overseas:
http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/directory/meetings/lent-term-2016

3 February (Wed): CISS/Cambridge Trusts/Gates (ROW) Ranking Committee (starts 2.15),14:00, Boardroom

Then, the second round on 17 February, for UK-EU students:

17 February (Wed): AHRC/CHESS/AMR Ranking Committee (starts 2.15), 14:00, Boardroom

omg :cry2:

Ohhh that is so exciting! There are UK Cambridge Trust options too though, does that fall into today's ranking meeting or the 17th? I'm actually in Cambridge right now. I checked out the History department and even sat in the Seeley library for a while! Confidence is key.. Just act like a student and they think you are. :')
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1402
Original post by Camilli
Still, as best I know, the new 70 doesn't raise the bar for staying on-- it represents the same quality work that the old 67 did.

Not necessarily. When some departments have raised the grade in the past, it means exactly that - students accepted previously would no longer be allowed to continue. We were told that explicitly.. Not sure why any would be different?
Well, in either case, I hope this will be an irrelevant discussion. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dreambabydream
Congratulations! Just a quick question, did you express preference for Hughes Hall?

Hi,

Thank you ! Sorry for the late reply :smile: Yeah, first choice Trinity, 2nd Hughes Hall.
Has anyone applying for MPhil. in Finance got the offer ? My current status on CamSIS is "Awaiting decision from Board of Graduate Studies".
Reply 1406
Original post by omgwhat
Ohhh that is so exciting! There are UK Cambridge Trust options too though, does that fall into today's ranking meeting or the 17th? I'm actually in Cambridge right now. I checked out the History department and even sat in the Seeley library for a while! Confidence is key.. Just act like a student and they think you are. :':wink:

It's not an interview session, it's a faculty meeting where they rank applicants and then send the list to the funding bodies (Gates, AHRC, CHESS, etc.). Today was the session for international applicants, their fate has already been decided. European and UK applicants will be sorted in two weeks.
Original post by 05autyt

So see you there :smile:) If I get a scholarship of course :smile:) and comply IELTS criteria :smile:) Hopefully I won't fail
Original post by Impune
Where in the States have you visited?

I've been to NY a number of times, owing to the fact that we have family over there. I've also visited San Francisco, LA and other popular locations. I just love the place tbh! :awesome:

I looked into Harvard and other Ivy League programs, but none of their masters degrees really offered what I was interested in. Since MA's in the States are often terminal degrees and not a stepping stone to the PhD, as they are in the UK, not many of them offer much opportunity for intense research.

Ah, I see. That's fair enough! :biggrin:

And of course, the idea of going to one of the oldest universities in the English speaking world was attractive.

That's definitely one of the main attractions, even for home students such as myself! :yep:
Is anyone here applying/has anyone applied in AMES, or does anyone know their meeting schedule?
Original post by Aceadria
I see. But do you think there's an overall advantage of having done an MPhil at Cambridge when applying for a PhD, or does admissions view them as equal?

(I understand this is difficult to answer, but I'm hoping someone has some anecdotal or other information on this).

It's an advantage in the way that all 'internal' candidates have an advantage when they apply to stay on at the same institution: you have much easier access to staff who can advise on your application, it's easier to tailor a research proposal to a particular supervisor, etc., plus being known generally to the academic staff will help. I don't think anyone on my MPhil who applied for Leave to Continue was refused an offer. Funding however is a very different thing, and being an internal candidate doesn't at all guarantee that you'll receive money over someone applying from outside- the fact that most my MPHil cohort who went on to do a PhD either went to do one elsewhere, or are self-funding at Cambridge (or partially funded) would indicate that, anecdotally at least.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi guys, does anyone know if the History department requires two academic references? Or is it one required and a second optional?
Original post by iCreptio
Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your profile?

I'm undergraduate at Oxford doing Economics and Management with 68 in first year exams, average of 68-72 for 2nd year courses, and reasonable reference letters.
Reply 1413
Original post by tulo23
Hi guys, does anyone know if the History department requires two academic references? Or is it one required and a second optional?

It's always two.
Reply 1414
Original post by gutenberg
It's an advantage in the way that all 'internal' candidates have an advantage when they apply to stay on at the same institution: you have much easier access to staff who can advise on your application, it's easier to tailor a research proposal to a particular supervisor, etc., plus being known generally to the academic staff will help. I don't think anyone on my MPhil who applied for Leave to Continue was refused an offer. Funding however is a very different thing, and being an internal candidate doesn't at all guarantee that you'll receive money over someone applying from outside- the fact that most my MPHil cohort who went on to do a PhD either went to do one elsewhere, or are self-funding at Cambridge (or partially funded) would indicate that, anecdotally at least.

Trinity even has 8 full PhD scholarships for students who haven't studied at Cambridge before.
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/pg/studentships
I can't believe I'm saying this, but my application is at the Board of Graduate Studies for the MPhil in International Relations and Politics!

I applied on December 2nd, so I wasn't even hoping to hear back until March. Fingers crossed for an actual offer (and funding!)

Does anyone know if this development means I can think to hope for Cambridge Trust/Gates Funding?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
It's not an interview session, it's a faculty meeting where they rank applicants and then send the list to the funding bodies (Gates, AHRC, CHESS, etc.). Today was the session for international applicants, their fate has already been decided. European and UK applicants will be sorted in two weeks.

I didn't say it was an interview session, I'm well aware of the rankimg system because my tutor told me about it. I was just saying that The Cambridge Trust has a home applicant counterpart and you listed the meeting for the 3rd too. Since the 3rd is for international applicants, I'm assuming the Cambridge Trust will do home applicant assessments on the 17th.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by baia_teo
So see you there :smile:) If I get a scholarship of course :smile:) and comply IELTS criteria :smile:) Hopefully I won't fail

Yeah no idea how I'm going to fund this without scholarships etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Course description: MPhil in Development Studies
Application submitted: 19 January

Completed my first year with a distinction, second year with low upper second class and expected to finish third year with strong upper second/first class. I have volunteered for the Red Cross for more than two years, I can manage 6 languages (some are relevant for the proposed research), I have written and conducted research in the field (undergraduate level) and I am currently writing my dissertation on the topic.

Did I do the right choice to apply in the first instance?

I am also awaiting decision from my Oxford application. I submitted my application on 20 January and received on the following day this e-mail:

Thank you for your application to study for the Master of Philosophy in Russian and East European Studies.
We can confirm that your application is now ready for assessment and will be considered by the academic department as part of the Late January Deadline.

Is this a formal letter, or is it actually telling me the actual status of my application, even though only one day has passed since submission?
My PhD application was through a department application form, didn't need to do the GRADSAF etc. (although I have to do it now as a formality, now I have been offered the position, and to pick college preferences)

I'm so glad I didn't need to do all this waiting :frown:
I was emailed 2 weeks after the closing date, asking me to come for interview, then I knew the same day as the interview that I had an offer (fully funded also!)

I thought most PhDs were like this, though apparently not..
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending