The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Your course handbook should provide you with some information on what sort of books you're going to need. Uniform is usually provided, but you'll want to get yourself a pair of flat, black, plain (easily cleaned) work shoes, that don't cover the ankle, but fully cover the foot and a fob watch, as a bare minimum.

Best wishes for your studies! :grin:
Original post by Freudian Slip
Your course handbook should provide you with some information on what sort of books you're going to need. Uniform is usually provided, but you'll want to get yourself a pair of flat, black, plain (easily cleaned) work shoes, that don't cover the ankle, but fully cover the foot and a fob watch, as a bare minimum.

Thank you so much! What about a stethoscope? I've heard some people say I need one and others saying I don't! Thanks for your help!
Original post by HollyAndrews
Thank you so much! What about a stethoscope? I've heard some people say I need one and others saying I don't! Thanks for your help!

Waste of money as a nurse. You'll never use it.
Thanks everyone! Would you recommend a certain planner for nursing students?
Reply 5

Doctors use stethoscope not nurses

Thanks everyone! Would you recommend a certain planner for nursing students?

I know some buy a mini notebook which they put in their pocket to take on placement with them. Just buy a normal diary.
I thought that, but like I said, I have heard some people saying I should get one.
Thank you! :smile:
I thought that, but like I said, I have heard some people saying I should get one.
Thank you! :smile:

The only thing you d use it for, is if you wanted to practice taking manual blood pressures at home with it. I have a cheap one for that reason but you can always use your unis ones to practice anyway.
Thanks for letting me know! :smile:
Original post by chikane
Doctors use stethoscope not nurses

Not true.
I've used them to listen to lung sounds, to take BP's, to listen to heart murmurs.
And as I plan on working in the community; I will be buying me own to keep in my car for visiting patients.
So in some fields of nursing you will need to buy your own.
But while you're at university, it's not really needed. I won one in a competition that I use for practicing with at home but that's all it gets used for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
Not true.
I've used them to listen to lung sounds, to take BP's, to listen to heart murmurs.
And as I plan on working in the community; I will be buying me own to keep in my car for visiting patients.
But while you're at university, it's not really needed. I won one in a competition that I use for practicing with at home but that's all it gets used for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You may have listened to them to hear what they sound like but how often do nurses actually listen for murmurs etc? I certainly never did in my four years of practice.

The only place I listened for breath sounds was ITU, and because of infection control there is a stethoscope per patient.

OP I would still advise not to buy one. If you find yourself doing a lot of manual blood pressures and you struggle with the cheaper stethoscopes then buy one. But I certainly wouldn't advise spending money on one now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As I do learning disability, it's quite often we would listen for them, especially in younger patients. As heart murmurs are particularly prevalent in those with Down Syndrome. As in my field we can work from newborn until death, so we would be working alongside health visitors if needed to help guide parents etc.
Of course this is done in collaboration with other hcps but it's important to know what they sound like.
Each field is different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
Not true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know nurses who work in the community get supplied a BP machine with arm cuffs and a finger pulse.
Thanks for all the help everyone! I really appreciate it. I wasn't sure because like I said, I had been advised for so many different things by different people and I must say I'm glad I don't have to get one because they are so expensive. :biggrin:
Original post by chikane
I know nurses who work in the community get supplied a BP machine with arm cuffs and a finger pulse.

And while that may be true, my training has taught me that manual is always better to do than via a machine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I'm interested in what to get for the course as well - have been offered a place for Children's Nursing. It might sound like an odd question but file wise - would people recommend lever arch one's or normal one's? I'm assuming we'll need files lol x
Original post by AmyH81
I'm interested in what to get for the course as well - have been offered a place for Children's Nursing. It might sound like an odd question but file wise - would people recommend lever arch one's or normal one's? I'm assuming we'll need files lol x

I went for both. Smaller ones for a phase / semester. Then transfer them into a lever arch for the year. Helps me keep track of where we are and what I need for exams etc in what semester.
Depends what works best for you.
You'll find your rhythm so to speak once you get underway with the work!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Ahh cool - that's what I did for my 1st Undergrad degree and then for my PGCE, I just used a lever arch beacuse there was a lot of resources for Teaching to include so the little ones weren't big enough so was just wondering. Thank you x
Original post by Freudian Slip

Will I need a lap top ?
Original post by Greentea88
Will I need a lap top ?

How else do you plan on doing work?
Writing assignments? Researching? Getting on to your university online portal?
A desktop or laptop will suffice. And most university libraries will have lending laptops for when the library is busy and it's hard to get a computer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending