The Student Room Group

is it weird that I feel like nothing is real like everyone around me doesn't exist.

Is this a common problem?

Like nobody actually exists or anything on tv/ media, like all of you are just illusions or something; is this weird?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you're just being too 'anonymous'.

As in, not opening to people. Being secretive & guarded.
(edited 8 years ago)
Actually, that feeling of dissociation is common among people who have depression and/or anxiety. Feel free to contact your doctor - Some medication will probably straighten you out.
i agree with the above poster about symptoms of anxiety and depression and I would definitely recommend speaking to your gp but going straight to medication to try to fix a mental health problem is not a good idea, your doctor will probably suggest counselling to help you get past it, hope you feel better :smile:
Reply 4
It was a terrible problem that I faced two years ago ,but it was accompanied with a stressful and unsuccesful life in general.
You just want to exit the whole game.
Now that I faced my problems and my life is much better , I just ignore these thoughts .
Reply 5
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Actually, that feeling of dissociation is common among people who have depression and/or anxiety. Feel free to contact your doctor - Some medication will probably straighten you out.

Original post by Blondie987
i agree with the above poster about symptoms of anxiety and depression and I would definitely recommend speaking to your gp but going straight to medication to try to fix a mental health problem is not a good idea, your doctor will probably suggest counselling to help you get past it, hope you feel better :smile:

I'm a looney then. Brilliant.
Reply 6
It's not uncommon, everyone's theorised the same thing somewhere along the line.

I once experienced an odd day when two of my friends had an argument because they both believed the other didn't exist :lol:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a looney then. Brilliant.

That's incredibly offensive, I struggle with anxiety and depression as do many others on this site and people of all ages and situations and I don't consider myself a 'looney'. I sincerely hope you get past whatever it is you're going through but I was only trying to give you some honest advice, never mind.
Reply 8
I guess it depends on how exactly you're experiencing it. Such a question of ''whether an external world exists'' has been a topic of philosophy for a very long time, but if it's manifesting into something causing a problem for you (aka you don't care what you do to another person as they don't actually exist) then it is potentially a sign of some illness.

I second whoever mentioned it as a symptom of depression.
Everyone thinks about that as a thought experiment and may even believe it to be true, but if you are actually from moment to moment responding to the world as if it is not real then you probably have a delusional disorder.
Original post by scrotgrot
Everyone thinks about that as a thought experiment and may even believe it to be true, but if you are actually from moment to moment responding to the world as if it is not real then you probably have a delusional disorder.

I don't take any action about it, just sometimes comes up in my head when i am i bed.
I don't take any action about it, just sometimes comes up in my head when i am i bed.

Sounds like you are normal then just maybe with too little other stuff to think about
Is this a common problem?

Like nobody actually exists or anything on tv/ media, like all of you are just illusions or something; is this weird?

In b4 OP carjacks, robs and shoots someone GTA style

Posted from TSR Mobile
i know how you feel but be happy man, life is too short to be worrying about things like this :frown:
LIVE EVERYDAY AS IF ITS YOUR LAST DAY!

and do what my signature on this does :smile:
That's incredibly offensive, I struggle with anxiety and depression as do many others on this site and people of all ages and situations and I don't consider myself a 'looney'. I sincerely hope you get past whatever it is you're going through but I was only trying to give you some honest advice, never mind.

it's not like humour can be used as a coping mechanism is it? :rolleyes:
Original post by Zargabaath
it's not like humour can be used as a coping mechanism is it? :rolleyes:

It can on an intentionally humorous thread but I was trying to help op with a supposedly serious problem and he decide to take a serious issue and make fun of those who suffered from it. Sorry, but jokes are funny when everyone is involved and it's not a case of ignorant stigma surrounding mental health issues.
It can on an intentionally humorous thread but I was trying to help op with a supposedly serious problem and he decide to take a serious issue and make fun of those who suffered from it. Sorry, but jokes are funny when everyone is involved and it's not a case of ignorant stigma surrounding mental health issues.

The joke wasn't supposed to be funny for you, or anyone but the OP, don't be so entitled. Humour is subjective.
The joke wasn't supposed to be funny for you, or anyone but the OP, don't be so entitled. Humour is subjective.

Well they replied to my post about mental health and made reference to it so I think that entitles me to have a say
Well they replied to my post about mental health and made reference to it so I think that entitles me to have a say

The entitlement I was talking about wasn't your entitlement to have a say. It was the entitlement that a joke is only funny or acceptable when you find it so.
The entitlement I was talking about wasn't your entitlement to have a say. It was the entitlement that a joke is only funny when you find it funny.

At what point did I say that no one should find it funny? I'm making reference to my input on op's problem and how I felt offended that they would make reference to a serious problem with a derogatory term that many people would also find offensive, I'm not bothered if other people find it funny or not but as they had started a conversation with me I decided to let them know that I didn't appreciate it. sorry if I didn't make that more clear, this is just my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending