The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trapking
it's B.S. ^

From what other people are saying he is quite reliable and has ties to Jorge Mendes
Great news if true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How i'll feel when Mourinho comes here:

In other news G. Nevs Valencia are being battered by Barca 7-0 rn
Original post by Mo De Lemone
In other news G. Nevs Valencia are being battered by Barca 7-0 rn

Tbf, they were playing with 10 men for half the game against the best team in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think in the long term we'll all be happy to get Jose because it means we will be competitive again and we'll have at least a trophy. I understand those who don't want him but when we start winning I'm sure we'll all get behind him (not calling you anti-jose people plastic, just saying when we win you guys will be happy).

Jose has a certain arrogance about him which suits us, the Manchester United manager is meant to be someone with charisma and arrogance and someone people hate, and most of all our manager has to be a champion with a winning mentality..

my top 3 choices are - 1 - Jose - 2 - Blanc - 3 - Conte - that is if LVG leaves :angry:

If LVG continues playing the football we played yesterday I will be happy - but its slightly disappointing that only now he has realised that it is important to give players freedom, surely as he is experienced he should have seen this and rectified it earlier :frown: like those 20+ years in management were a waste if he doesn't know you have to give players freedom to express themselves sometimes :tongue:
Original post by SirAlexFerguson
I think in the long term we'll all be happy to get Jose because it means we will be competitive again and we'll have at least a trophy. I understand those who don't want him but when we start winning I'm sure we'll all get behind him (not calling you anti-jose people plastic, just saying when we win you guys will be happy).

Jose has a certain arrogance about him which suits us, the Manchester United manager is meant to be someone with charisma and arrogance and someone people hate, and most of all our manager has to be a champion with a winning mentality..

my top 3 choices are - 1 - Jose - 2 - Blanc - 3 - Conte - that is if LVG leaves :angry:

If LVG continues playing the football we played yesterday I will be happy - but its slightly disappointing that only now he has realised that it is important to give players freedom, surely as he is experienced he should have seen this and rectified it earlier :frown: like those 20+ years in management were a waste if he doesn't know you have to give players freedom to express themselves sometimes :tongue:

I like van Gaal but its a bit too little too late and over his 18 months in charge, its been underwhelming and we could really count on two hands the amount of games we played really good. I feel sorry for him the way he came under immense pressure from the media but thats the pressure that comes with managing the biggest club in England. He needs to walk at the end of the season, idc if we make top 4 he still has to go. You cant spend over 250m and still struggle to make any progress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Careful, with that. Have you noticed we only do really well like we did against Stoke when teams want to actually play football with us and attack....this is when the quality of Martial, Mata, Rooney, Schweiny, Carrick & Schneiderlin shows!

I'll give few examples:

Example 1: Newcastle game.....Newcastle weren't holding back like most lower teams would do they gave it a good go & wanted to win against us.

Example 2: Swansea game....Swansea tried to play attacking football against us. Again notice how we did well.

Example 3: Stoke game.....Stoke gave it a real good go which left them exposed. It seems Van Gaal learnt from the away defeat where we approached the game very defensive minded and were very nervous when Stoke put on the pressure.

When teams sit back the whole game and just play on counter attacks alone we go back to the same exact problem of not being able to break them down because we now become defensive as well trying not to concede on the counter! So with the Chelsea game on Sunday if they actually play like they want to win it will be a decent game of football! BUT it is very likely Guss Hiddink will set up Chelsea to be defensive against us and we will struggle to score (we might need a bit of luck from martial/memphis/maybe a penalty).
Careful, with that. Have you noticed we only do really well like we did against Stoke when teams want to actually play football with us and attack....this is when the quality of Martial, Mata, Rooney, Schweiny, Carrick & Schneiderlin shows!

I'll give few examples:

Example 1: Newcastle game.....Newcastle weren't holding back like most lower teams would do they gave it a good go & wanted to win against us.

Example 2: Swansea game....Swansea tried to play attacking football against us. Again notice how we did well.

Example 3: Stoke game.....Stoke gave it a real good go which left them exposed. It seems Van Gaal learnt from the away defeat where we approached the game very defensive minded and were very nervous when Stoke put on the pressure.

When teams sit back the whole game and just play on counter attacks alone we go back to the same exact problem of not being able to break them down because we now become defensive as well trying not to concede on the counter! So with the Chelsea game on Sunday if they actually play like they want to win it will be a decent game of football! BUT it is very likely Guss Hiddink will set up Chelsea to be defensive against us and we will struggle to score (we might need a bit of luck from martial/memphis/maybe a penalty).

Its nothing to do about teams sitting back against us imo. Derby did the same and we wrecked them so i doubt its mainly to do with teams sitting back and not engaging with us. I think its much more to do with mentality, if we score first we rarely lose a game. However, the longer we go without a goal, the team comes under pressure and they fail to rise to the occasion. This team just buckles under pressure and go into hiding and since we're constantly trying to find a way to score, it only takes one mistake in order for he opposition to capitalise. Just look over the matches and see how many games where we make just one mistake and the opposition score. Its to do with mentality and confidence, something this team seemed to lack and may still do if we cone up against a top team.

EDIT: Read your post wrong :lol:. But i really believe its down to the mentality and ability to respond to pressure that really affects our team. We're spineless at times and when things are going bad, we crumble.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Its nothing to do about teams sitting back against us imo. Derby did the same and we wrecked them so i doubt its mainly to do with teams sitting back and not engaging with us. I think its much more to do with mentality, if we score first we rarely lose a game. However, the longer we go without a goal, the team comes under pressure and they fail to rise to the occasion. This team just buckles under pressure and go into hiding and since we're constantly trying to find a way to score, it only takes one mistake in order for he opposition to capitalise. Just look over the matches and see how many games where we make just one mistake and the opposition score. Its to do with mentality and confidence, something this team seemed to lack and may still do if we cone up against a top team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's definitely teams sitting back and only playing counters that damages us (and the fact that we waste so much time passing instead of bloody attacking). Look at the stats....almost all the games we have lost we have been on the front foot for the majority of the game then we lose the game on the counter (with a few exceptions of course like the stoke away game and arsenal away).

Derby weren't even trying to play football in that game they may as well all have just sat on benches and relaxed. Don't let one good performance blind you...it will be just like the liverpool game peppering over cracks then when we lose everyone will be like WTF LVGOUT again :tongue:
It's definitely teams sitting back and only playing counters that damages us (and the fact that we waste so much time passing instead of bloody attacking). Look at the stats....almost all the games we have lost we have been on the front foot for the majority of the game then we lose the game on the counter (with a few exceptions of course like the stoke away game and arsenal away).

Derby weren't even trying to play football in that game they may as well all have just sat on benches and relaxed. Don't let one good performance blind you...it will be just like the liverpool game peppering over cracks then when we lose everyone will be like WTF LVGOUT again :tongue:

Yeah i edited saying i read your post wrong.

Nah id never let a single game change my mind on van Gaal. He has to go, idc what we achieve this season and even if we make top 4 he still has to go. He's had his chance and spend a **** load of money yet he continues to try to lower our ambitions and its shocking that in the space of 2/3 years, we're now content with trying to finish 4th. It's a bloody disgrace, im not saying we have a god given right to challenge for the league every year but its frightening at how far we've fallen and the mismanagement and comical errors have led us to fall so far down that we may no longer be viewed as a top club on football terms. Top 4 looks a struggle tbh, i cannot see any of the current top 4 teams dropping out for us. Also, we dont look capable of going on a run so we may aswell rule out top 4. Hes spent a **** load of money and we couldnt even finish top 4. Thats criminal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Yeah i edited saying i read your post wrong.

Nah id never let a single game change my mind on van Gaal. He has to go, idc what we achieve this season and even if we make top 4 he still has to go. He's had his chance and spend a **** load of money yet he continues to try to lower our ambitions and its shocking that in the space of 2/3 years, we're now content with trying to finish 4th. It's a bloody disgrace, im not saying we have a god given right to challenge for the league every year but its frightening at how far we've fallen and the mismanagement and comical errors have led us to fall so far down that we may no longer be viewed as a top club on football terms. Top 4 looks a struggle tbh, i cannot see any of the current top 4 teams dropping out for us. Also, we dont look capable of going on a run so we may aswell rule out top 4. Hes spent a **** load of money and we couldnt even finish top 4. Thats criminal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I agree, he has to go even if we make top 4! I don't think we will make it though...we messed up too much and we will probably finish 5th or 6th.

Watching Arsenal bottle it again is far more entertaining than us trying to get top 4 :biggrin: :rofl:

Hoping Leicester can continue on their quest to being champions! Really want them to win it would be nice to have a new team written in the history books.

Of course I'd be happy if we started winning trophies again, that doesn't mean I want Mourinho to be our manager and I can't see myself getting behind him in any capacity unless he makes significant changes to his personality and management style (things he failed miserably at during his second spell at Chelsea).

To me Mourinho is an petulant and paranoid child that refuses to accept that he might ever have got anything wrong (a rather different kind of arrogance than the type you might want imo). His teams play incredibly boring football that is painfully pragmatic and his refusal to alter things if they are working in even the slightest degree worries me greatly.

Would I like to get back to winning trophies as soon as possible, definitely, I'd just prefer to do it on the basis of solid foundations being laid through the club as a whole, something I don't think Mourinho is capable of achieving. To be honest I'm not sure if any manager can do that while the guys running the club don't seem to have any idea how to do anything but sign sponsorship deals, but thats a different story.
Pochettino Pochettino Pochettino.
Pochettino Pochettino Pochettino.

You keep blowing the Pochettino trumpet as if he's an available, top manager we could easily get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, under the SAF (my) era teams also used to sit back and hope for a point but we were good enough to break them down. Stamford Bridge is a bogey ground for us so I'm not too confident but it will be a good test for us, Costa v Blind is a scary match up though :frown:

I'm just glad to see good football and hope we can keep it up :smile: Also crazy amount of tickets available for the Europa match and some other PL games lol
Original post by mojojojo101
Of course I'd be happy if we started winning trophies again, that doesn't mean I want Mourinho to be our manager and I can't see myself getting behind him in any capacity unless he makes significant changes to his personality and management style (things he failed miserably at during his second spell at Chelsea).

To me Mourinho is an petulant and paranoid child that refuses to accept that he might ever have got anything wrong (a rather different kind of arrogance than the type you might want imo). His teams play incredibly boring football that is painfully pragmatic and his refusal to alter things if they are working in even the slightest degree worries me greatly.

Would I like to get back to winning trophies as soon as possible, definitely, I'd just prefer to do it on the basis of solid foundations being laid through the club as a whole, something I don't think Mourinho is capable of achieving. To be honest I'm not sure if any manager can do that while the guys running the club don't seem to have any idea how to do anything but sign sponsorship deals, but thats a different story.

Nice alternative opinion :smile: The bolded part is what I think we disagree with - imo he can get us back to winning ways with are values and culture in tact :smile:
If Mourinho is willing to change in regards to his attitude and the way he regards the youth academy, then i would happily want him to be our manager. He'd bring the siege mentality that we require atm, he'd help bring hunger and passion to our players and get them riled up.

Tbh, he is the only alternative out there that would instantly bring success imo, and we need that or else City will move so far ahead it'll take us a few years to catch up to them (so depressing to even type that!). Pochettino will not come to United, why would he leave Tottenham who are financially stable and have such a promising youthful team developing who could definitely be a consistent top 4 team and maybe just maybe push for a title challenge. He won't leave, people will point to the fact that he instantly jumped ship when Spurs came calling but you have to consider the fact that his Southampton team was torn to shreds and he no longer felt like he had stability at the Saints so it was no surprise that he went to Spurs.

We need to be real and start accepting that we no longer have the pull that we once did in regards to coaches and players. Our fall from grace has been shocking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice alternative opinion :smile: The bolded part is what I think we disagree with - imo he can get us back to winning ways with are values and culture in tact :smile:

Like he did at Real Madrid or at his second spell at Chelsea?

Values and Culture mean nothing to Mourinho, he only cares about winning games.

Original post by mojojojo101
It might look all rosy to begin with, but just liek at Chelsea, as soon as something goes wrong I think he will return to type and the dour, boring football will resume.Also, now that City have Pep I want Mourinho away from England even more, the world does not need a resumption of their ridiculous spats from their time in Spain.As for Blind vs Costa I think Blund has a big advantage over many PL defenders in that he will most likely not get baited into playing Costa's ridiculous games. In that regard Smalling.might be a bigger worry.
Costa vs Blind is not looking good for Blind. Costa has pace on him and is willing to make runs. He has a lot of strength to outmuscle Blind, Thing is that Costa tends to play on the left hand side though but I reckon he'd be willing to change that.Agree with everything else of your post though.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest