The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
Original post by omgwhat
I didn't say it was an interview session, I'm well aware of the rankimg system because my tutor told me about it. I was just saying that The Cambridge Trust has a home applicant counterpart and you listed the meeting for the 3rd too. Since the 3rd is for international applicants, I'm assuming the Cambridge Trust will do home applicant assessments on the 17th.

I read it again I now understand your post. :tongue:

Original post by Iain_Hey

I was emailed 2 weeks after the closing date, asking me to come for interview, then I knew the same day as the interview that I had an offer (fully funded also!)

I thought most PhDs were like this, though apparently not..

You're the exception. The rule is an agonising wait until June for a hypothetical funding.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Iain_Hey
My PhD application was through a department application form, didn't need to do the GRADSAF etc. (although I have to do it now as a formality, now I have been offered the position, and to pick college preferences)

I'm so glad I didn't need to do all this waiting :frown:
I was emailed 2 weeks after the closing date, asking me to come for interview, then I knew the same day as the interview that I had an offer (fully funded also!)

I thought most PhDs were like this, though apparently not..

Congratulations!

This sounds more like a departmental studentship competition. What's your field, if I may ask?
Original post by Lalamore
I can't believe I'm saying this, but my application is at the Board of Graduate Studies for the MPhil in International Relations and Politics!

I applied on December 2nd, so I wasn't even hoping to hear back until March. Fingers crossed for an actual offer (and funding!)

Does anyone know if this development means I can think to hope for Cambridge Trust/Gates Funding?

Welcome to the club, fellow IR&P candidate! Everyone who applies to Gates/Trust funding can hope for it, but receiving an offer doesn't really tell you anything about where you stand so far as funding goes.
Original post by gutenberg
It's an advantage in the way that all 'internal' candidates have an advantage when they apply to stay on at the same institution: you have much easier access to staff who can advise on your application, it's easier to tailor a research proposal to a particular supervisor, etc., plus being known generally to the academic staff will help. I don't think anyone on my MPhil who applied for Leave to Continue was refused an offer. Funding however is a very different thing, and being an internal candidate doesn't at all guarantee that you'll receive money over someone applying from outside- the fact that most my MPHil cohort who went on to do a PhD either went to do one elsewhere, or are self-funding at Cambridge (or partially funded) would indicate that, anecdotally at least.

Thank you so much for this! I'm still deciding whether I want to do a PhD or not. Academia just doesn't sound as appealing as it once did (poor pay, politics and little to no chance of getting tenure) so I'm still trying to see why I should be doing one.
Original post by Aceadria
Thank you so much for this! I'm still deciding whether I want to do a PhD or not. Academia just doesn't sound as appealing as it once did (poor pay, politics and little to no chance of getting tenure) so I'm still trying to see why I should be doing one.

I suppose just see how you find the first few weeks when you get to Cam, and talk with your supervisor. If you decide to apply, you can then see whether you get funding and use that as part of the decision. As someone who is currently writing up, I can confirm that the job situation is pretty dire...
I suppose just see how you find the first few weeks when you get to Cam, and talk with your supervisor. If you decide to apply, you can then see whether you get funding and use that as part of the decision. As someone who is currently writing up, I can confirm that the job situation is pretty dire...

That's my biggest fear but you're very right about waiting.
That's my biggest fear but you're very right about waiting.

My impression is that if you're able to survive for a few years post-PhD, then you might stand a chance of getting a decent job. The really difficult part is the first few years after the PhD is finished, and the process of trying to secure a postdoc, or enough teaching to be able to live. A kind of 'gap year' between finishing a PhD and starting a 'proper' postdoc/temporary lecturing post is becoming very common, but the issue is that unless you have substantial savings and/or come from a wealthy background willing to support you while you apply for things during this gap year, it's tough to hang on, and most people end up leaving academia in those first couple of years post-PhD. Additionally, people who manage to secure temporary teaching jobs post-PhD are often so laden down with teaching, they find it difficult to do research and get published, so moving on to more permanent/research-oriented jobs is difficult.

So yes it's tough, and I think it's worth talking with your supervisor about it honestly - some will simply assure you that you'll be fine and something will 'work out', but I think that does a disservice to people looking into PhD study. Profs and supervisors have an interest in building a cache of PhD students, so if you're really not convinced by the time application deadlines roll around, then on balance I would say stay away.
Original post by Phate18
Congratulations!

This sounds more like a departmental studentship competition. What's your field, if I may ask?

It's in Biology (Medical Science)

When I say "most PhDs", it seems PhDs at other uni's are only ever offered when funding is guaranteed for whatever candidate they choose.

I guess this isn't the case at Cambridge, and that I have just been extremely lucky haha
Original post by TFG2794
Has anyone applying for MPhil. in Finance got the offer ? My current status on CamSIS is "Awaiting decision from Board of Graduate Studies".

My state is still "under consideration by department"...May I ask when did you submit your application?
My impression is that if you're able to survive for a few years post-PhD, then you might stand a chance of getting a decent job. The really difficult part is the first few years after the PhD is finished, and the process of trying to secure a postdoc, or enough teaching to be able to live. A kind of 'gap year' between finishing a PhD and starting a 'proper' postdoc/temporary lecturing post is becoming very common, but the issue is that unless you have substantial savings and/or come from a wealthy background willing to support you while you apply for things during this gap year, it's tough to hang on, and most people end up leaving academia in those first couple of years post-PhD. Additionally, people who manage to secure temporary teaching jobs post-PhD are often so laden down with teaching, they find it difficult to do research and get published, so moving on to more permanent/research-oriented jobs is difficult.

So yes it's tough, and I think it's worth talking with your supervisor about it honestly - some will simply assure you that you'll be fine and something will 'work out', but I think that does a disservice to people looking into PhD study. Profs and supervisors have an interest in building a cache of PhD students, so if you're really not convinced by the time application deadlines roll around, then on balance I would say stay away.

Wish I could rep you again but thank you so much for this post! It's really helpful. Good luck with the job apps! :smile:

Is the process usually: PhD -> Post-Doc -> Lecturer -> Assistant Professor?
My conditional offer for development studies just came today :smile: So it took about 1-2 days to change from BoGS to offer. Wheee~
Wish I could rep you again but thank you so much for this post! It's really helpful. Good luck with the job apps! :smile:

Is the process usually: PhD -> Post-Doc -> Lecturer -> Assistant Professor?

That's the ideal pathway, or in some sense the 'traditional' route is PhD -> Postdoc -> Lectureship (meaning a permanent lectureship).

However people take all sorts of routes. I can think two people who did something like PhD -> Temporary Lectureship -> Postdoc -> Permanent Lectureship (one hasn't got a permanent lectureship yet and is still working as a postdoc, but likely will get a permanent post eventually).

Another friend did PhD -> Postdoc -> Postdoc -> Permanent Lectureship.

Yet another has done PhD -> Postdoc -> Temporary Lectureship (3 year post).

There aren't really any 'traditional' paths anymore, except for a few - most people will take quite a few temporary postdocs/lecturing posts before getting a permanent job these days. The key is securing these temporary posts in order to survive financially, and keep publishing etc. in order to be in the hunt for the permanent posts.
Hello everyone, I applied MPhil Finance and MPhil Finance and Economics and got one conditional offer for finance and the other one is under BoGs. I also applied findings for both subjects and on the website it said the expected date of award are early April for Gates and late Feb onwards. It does not state in which way we will be told whether the application is successful.

Also, I haven't accepted this offer because I'm still waiting from other universities. Does Cambridge ask you to pay a deposit to confirm the offer?

Thanks,
Reply 1433
Hello. I was interviewed yesterday morning, and in the end of the call, my interviewer (head of the department) told me that the interview was "brilliant" and that they have already looked at my application favourably and I should expect an acceptance letter in the upcoming days. However, my status did not change from the "under consideration by degree committee" yet. Is it possible that they might reject me yet after the interviewer told me that the department is up to take me? Or do they need just a little time...
Does anyone know how long Colleges typically consider your application for before making a positive decision?
Original post by paninikaka
Hello everyone, I applied MPhil Finance and MPhil Finance and Economics and got one conditional offer for finance and the other one is under BoGs. I also applied findings for both subjects and on the website it said the expected date of award are early April for Gates and late Feb onwards. It does not state in which way we will be told whether the application is successful.Also, I haven't accepted this offer because I'm still waiting from other universities. Does Cambridge ask you to pay a deposit to confirm the offer?Thanks,

There's no deposit required to accept an offer.

Original post by d1993
Hello. I was interviewed yesterday morning, and in the end of the call, my interviewer (head of the department) told me that the interview was "brilliant" and that they have already looked at my application favourably and I should expect an acceptance letter in the upcoming days. However, my status did not change from the "under consideration by degree committee" yet. Is it possible that they might reject me yet after the interviewer told me that the department is up to take me? Or do they need just a little time...

The administrators in the admissions office likely just haven't gotten around to updating it yet.
Original post by Impune
There's no deposit required to accept an offer.

The administrators in the admissions office likely just haven't gotten around to updating it yet.

Really? What if someone accept the offer and finally decide not to actually go for it?
Anyone here hear back from MPhil in American History?
Original post by pallavipanda
Does anyone know how long Colleges typically consider your application for before making a positive decision?

Mine was under consideration for two days
Reply 1439
Original post by paninikaka
Really? What if someone accept the offer and finally decide not to actually go for it?

Happens all the time, usually because people can't raise funding (or get a better offer or a funded offer elsewhere). They plan for it. There's a date, sometime in July I think, by which conditions all have to be met or you lose your place.

If you've been offered two places at Cambridge, you may find you can only accept one of them however, even provisionally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending