Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
Even by maths at Imperial? :colone:

:laugh:

Spoiler

Career by a mile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alexion
I think, a perfect relationship depends on the situation - it wouldn't be the same for everyone. For people in said situation, it might be to be with someone who can make you forget all that when you're with them.

Some things can't change. There are people who will never experience a life without sadness. But to be with someone who can make you forget all that is a feeling unparalleled by any other...

Fair point. Personally, if I were on such a situation rather than trying to get a bliss of being loved to counter sadness I'd try to work myself out of such a situation, regardless if I succeeded or not, but people are different.

I guess it just comes down to what makes people happy. Personally, when I accomplish something I have really worked hard for, now that is feeling not comparable to anything else. Last time I was in a relationship once it less surprisingly ended with me being cheated I decided that I'd not get another one, since it's going to hurt and realized that my own accomplishments personally satisfy me more than relationship did (it was a good one until he cheated repeatedly). People need different things in their lives.

Ps, thanks for conversation, it's interesting one
Relationship.

I can make money a hundred ways and be content. I can pursue lots of occupations/careers and enjoy them. Meaningful relationships, I think, are how to achieve true fulfilment in life. A starry-eyed realisation I didn't think would ever come, to be frank - figured money, cars and hot girls.

Maybe I'm growing up. Maybe I'm going soft :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Perfect career. A career isn't going to wake up next to you in the morning and tell you it doesn't love you anymore.

Anyway who needs men when you have dogs?:u:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Perfect career. A career isn't going to wake up next to you in the morning and tell you it doesn't love you anymore.

neither would a "perfect relationship"...

dont violate the explicit terms of the thought experiment :colonhash:
Original post by walking in sand
neither would a "perfect relationship"...

dont violate the explicit terms of the thought experiment :colonhash:

You never know.. There may be a time limit on the perfect relationship you might not have mentioned..

I still stand by what I said
You never know.. There may be a time limit on the perfect relationship you might not have mentioned..

by that logic there may equally be a "time limit" on the perfect career that you might not have mentioned...

So true. :rofl: PRSOM.
Original post by Hydeman
So true. :rofl: PRSOM.

deliberately violating the terms of the thought experiment won't render your conclusions any more justified

Ditto the career. Nullifies the argument, doesn't it?
Original post by The Arsonist
Ditto the career. Nullifies the argument, doesn't it?

Regardless, I'd still pick career.
Regardless, I'd still pick career.

why?
deliberately violating the terms of the thought experiment won't render your conclusions any more justified

Well, the terms of the thought experiment are a bit irrelevant in practice. No relationship in real life would be that perfect.
why?

Because realistically, there's no such thing as a perfect relationship. And anyway, if I had a perfect career that I loved, I wouldn't feel the need to have a partner. It's weird because if you had asked me this a year ago, I would've said relationship immediately.

And as I said before, who needs men when you have dogs?
Because realistically, there's no such thing as a perfect relationship. And anyway, if I had a perfect career that I loved, I wouldn't feel the need to have a partner. It's weird because if you had asked me this a year ago, I would've said relationship immediately.

:sigh:
Because realistically, there's no such thing as a perfect relationship. And anyway, if I had a perfect career that I loved, I wouldn't feel the need to have a partner.

And as I said before, who needs men when you have dogs?

So what you're really saying is you'd rather your happiness depend on a career because you're afraid of committing to something that may end up breaking your heart?

The thing with your reasoning is that: "Realistically, theres no such thing as a perfect career. And, anyway, if I had a perfect relationship that I loved, I wouldn't feel the need to have a career," probably works too, especially if perfect partner is loaded.

Relationship with dog is still a relationship.
Original post by Hydeman
Well, the terms of the thought experiment are a bit irrelevant in practice.

Thought experiments don't need to be 'relevant in practice'.

You just display intellectual immaturity by refusing to accept the terms of the thought experiment when you disagree with its 'relevance'.
Original post by Hydeman
Well, the terms of the thought experiment are a bit irrelevant in practice.

This makes me sad. Do you hate video games and ice cream too?
:sigh:

You can have a perfect career tbh. Not sure about a relationship. But for your sake, I'll rephrase. If I had a career I loved I wouldn't feel the need to have a relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending