The Student Room Group

What is Cambridge like as a city?

Where are the safest places to live (e.g. if you are a postgrad) and to avoid? What are rental prices like if you share?

Scroll to see replies

afaik there are no dodgy areas in the centre of town ? it is a very safe place.
it's pretty safe, but some areas near the station can be a bit grim
Reply 3
Original post by walking in sand
it's pretty safe, but some areas near the station can be a bit grim

Which ones should I avoid? Anywhere you would recommend?

I'm pretty streetwise, but having lived in a so so area up North for the last part of uni I'd rather have a safe area and pay a bit more. How much should I budget? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GapYahGirl

I'm pretty streetwise, but having lived in a so so area up North for the last part of uni I'd rather have a safe area and pay a bit more. How much should I budget? :smile:

what college are you at? aren't they helping you with your accommodation?

if youre streetwise you'll be fine, cambridge is very safe. i pay college rates, if you're renting privately it might be different for you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by walking in sand
what college are you at? aren't they helping you with your accommodation?

I'm spending three months assisting with some microbiology research, so not officially a postgrad though I'm thinking of applying for a Masters later (got a First :banana:). There isn't much support, I'm afraid, as I'm not affiliated with a college, just working.

I think I have to rent privately, I don't mind though
ill tag the legendary tour guide @vincrows

you will be pleasantly surprised by how unrough and ungritty Cambridge is.

Mill Road is popular with the ethanol abuse community etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by the bear
i await with baited breath :h:

Thanks :h: Are there any other areas you would avoid? I have heard bad things about Mill Road yes :yep:
i await with bated breath :h:

do u live at cambridge ?
I'm spending three months assisting with some microbiology research, so not officially a postgrad though I'm thinking of applying for a Masters later (got a First :banana:). There isn't much support, I'm afraid, as I'm not affiliated with a college, just working.

I think I have to rent privately, I don't mind though

There isn't much 'dodgy' area in Cambridge but some areas are better than others, obviously. But better areas are more expensive and rented accommodation for short period like 3 months can be more problematic.

Where will you be working mostly? The department or a research centre/lab?
Are you a confident cyclist?

Also, have you contacted them?
http://www.accommodation.cam.ac.uk/

Just FYI, not all colleges provide college accommodation to all postgrad students, so that's one thing you may want to bear in mind if you decide to apply for Master's in the future.
Thanks :h: Are there any other areas you would avoid? I have heard bad things about Mill Road yes :yep:

Mill Road is hardly the Bronx :colondollar:

It is the hippyish area of Cambridge where you go to find lentil bakes, joss sticks and various ermm herbal products. there are also some very friendly ladies in the area.
Original post by Duke Glacia
do u live at cambridge ?

you want to visit me ?
you want to visit me ?

yes ofcourse:colondollar:
Original post by Duke Glacia
yes ofcourse:colondollar:

my humble abode is not worthy of a Duke

smh

:frown:
my humble abode is not worthy of a Duke

smh

:frown:

ur my hero:wink:
Reply 16
Original post by vincrows
There isn't much 'dodgy' area in Cambridge but some areas are better than others, obviously. But better areas are more expensive and rented accommodation for short period like 3 months can be more problematic.

Where will you be working mostly? The department or a research centre/lab?
Are you a confident cyclist?

Also, have you contacted them?
http://www.accommodation.cam.ac.uk/

Just FYI, not all colleges provide college accommodation to all postgrad students, so that's one thing you may want to bear in mind if you decide to apply for Master's in the future.

Where would you recommend? I've looked online and found some rooms in shared houses for around £500 a month, but that's not affiliated with the University.

The department, so ideally I'd be close to the centre but it's not a must.

I emailed them, still waiting for a reply.

Thanks. Yes, I was expecting that. I don't mind TBH, I don't particularly want to be sharing accommodation with immature undergraduates as is often the case :lol:
Reply 17
Mill Road is hardly the Bronx :colondollar:

It is the hippyish area of Cambridge where you go to find lentil bakes, joss sticks and various ermm herbal products. there are also some very friendly ladies in the area.

Pity I'm not male :moon:

Not a fan of druggies TBH. We had plenty of rich kids at my alma mater spending their parents' dosh on it... usually came in expecting to get Firsts and were slapped on the wrist by tutors multiple times for smoking weed etc. in dorms :rofl:
i await with bated breath :h:

Do you not study there? :colondollar:
Reply 19
very nice!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending