English literature
Mathematics
Core science
Additional science
Business Studies
Statistics
History
Computing

When i first chose my subjects i was unsure of which career i wanted to pursue now i'm certain that i want to pursue a career in a science related field (probably medicine or the physical sciences).

And desperately want to change subjects from History to Triple Science as it is significantly better preparation for 'A'levels in Mathematics and The Sciences.

At my school those taking triple science take an extra 2 hours worth of science every week.

I will try to persuade my head of year tomorrow before it really is too late.
we're currently 18 weeks into our courses so i doubt ill be allowed to change
But is there anything that I could do to show a teacher how much i really want to take the subject considering I can catch up over the half-term on everything I've missed?

I Would really appreciate some Advice.

When would you say the best time to go to a teacher would be?(When are they most open to questions?)

I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question to the teacher is it effective to say:
-Hi (sir/miss) would it be possible for me to change my subjects from (history) to (triple science)?

Which of these points would be more persuasive?:
- I know it's late but I feel I would do much better in science than I will in history and i can assure you i will get better grades in the subject.(To the interests of the teachers)
-I've bought the textbook and revision guides and will revise anything I've missed over the half term.
-With the new "progress 8" measure i want to make sure my grades are at there highest standard.(to the interests of the school))
-I want to take A-level science here at Southfields Academy and an extra GCSE will give me a large boost in my A level results. (play to the schools interests. Though this may not be exactly true)
I really want to make sure this change can work to secure my GCSEs and A-levels.

Thanks for your help.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by thedarkness321
Hi hows it going guys.
I am currently in Year 10 and I take GCSEs in:

English language
English literature
Mathematics
Core science
Additional science
Business Studies
Statistics
History
Computing

When i first chose my subjects i was unsure of which career i wanted to pursue now i'm certain that i want to pursue a career in a science related field (probably medicine or the physical sciences).

And desperately want to change subjects from History to Triple Science as it is significantly better preparation for 'A'levels in Mathematics and The Sciences.

At my school those taking triple science take an extra 2 hours worth of science every week.

But is there anything that I could do to show a teacher how much i really want to take the subject considering I can catch up over the half-term on everything I've missed?

When would you say the best time to go to a teacher would be?(When are they most open to questions?)

I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question to the teacher is it effective to say:
-Hi (sir/miss) would it be possible for me to change my subjects from (history) to (triple science)?

- I know it's late but I feel I would do much better in science than I will in history and i can assure you i will get better grades in the subject.(To the interests of the teachers)
-I've bought the textbook and revision guides and will revise anything I've missed over the half term.
-With the new "progress 8" measure i want to make sure my grades are at there highest standard.(to the interests of the school))
-I want to take A-level science here at Southfields Academy and an extra GCSE will give me a large boost in my A level results. (play to the schools interests. Though this may not be exactly true)
I really want to make sure this change can work to secure my GCSEs and A-levels.

Thanks for your help.

Hi. I'm pretty sure that you can change your GCSE subject if you started 18 weeks into the course, you shouldn't be missing out on much for Triple Science. Besides, us typical teenagers do change our minds a lot so it's fine, just tell your HoY in person about the issue and I'm sure he/she will assist you with the issue.

I was thinking of changing Computing to another subject at my school but there's a limited choice and I might as well stay on the course as I'm not doing too badly. The problem I face however is constant stress from him.
Reply 2
You don't need to drop History, why don't you just ask to change from Double Science to Triple? It's not that late because I am 100% sure in just 18 weeks they cannot have started the further additional syllabus which are the Triple Science units. The people who take Triple Science firstly do the Core and Additional Science which is the absolute same to what you are currently doing and then do the extra 3 units for the Triple Science which is started in year 11. Most schools don't even start Additional till year 11. Go and speak to the head of Science I am sure you will be allowed on the course it is not too late.

I am a current year 11 taking Triple Sciences and we started the Additional and Triple content this year we only did the Core content last year. I want to go into a Science related career as well and the Triple is better preparation for A level compared to Double. In my school people just changed from the Double to Triple if they wanted to do it and are doing an extra GCSE without dropping anything. You are only doing 9 GCSE's and Triple would give you 10 and I am sure that's not too hard to cope with.
Original post by JTran38
Hi. I'm pretty sure that you can change your GCSE subject if you started 18 weeks into the course, you shouldn't be missing out on much for Triple Science. Besides, us typical teenagers do change our minds a lot so it's fine, just tell your HoY in person about the issue and I'm sure he/she will assist you with the issue.

I was thinking of changing Computing to another subject at my school but there's a limited choice and I might as well stay on the course as I'm not doing too badly. The problem I face however is constant stress from him.

Thanks JTran
we're 18 weeks into the triple science course.
when would you say the best time to go to my HoY would be?
After school? During break? when would be more persuasive?
Thanks for your help.
Reply 4
Thanks JTran
we're 18 weeks into the triple science course.
when would you say the best time to go to my HoY would be?
After school? During break? when would be more persuasive?
Thanks for your help.

Just go to your HoY at the best convenient time such as before lesson time in the morning etc and just explain your issue, I'm sure he/she will understand.
If it means anything, in 2014 I took my Additional Science and Core Science exams, got 2 A*s. At AS level I took Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry - and got As in all of them. Currently taking FM, Maths and Physics to A2. I didn't feel I was behind any of the triple science students; maybe in a couple of topics, but within the 50 minute lesson I felt completely caught up.
If you can't change, don't worry about it at all!
Hi hows it going guys.
I am currently in Year 10 and I take GCSEs in:

English language
English literature
Mathematics
Core science
Additional science
Business Studies
Statistics
History
Computing

Thanks for your help.

or even better start learning extra at home so you are not behind at home!!!

Quick Reply

Latest