The Student Room Group

Job interview - hair

Hi i have an interview at sainsburys. Im just wondering if my hair will hinder that ( im a black girl so i have braids with a hint of purple in right now).
Original post by bluescholar

Very unlikely to be a problem at all. If you are still unsure (have you ever seen supermarket staff with similar styles/colours?) then just ask at the end of the interview - Would my hairstyle be acceptable for the role, or should I change it? That implies you would be prepared to change it, but you can consider if you really would in your own time.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Very unlikely to be a problem at all. If you are still unsure (have you ever seen supermarket staff with similar styles/colours?) then just ask at the end of the interview - Would my hairstyle be acceptable for the role, or should I change it? That implies you would be prepared to change it, but you can consider if you really would in your own time.

I got it! and I asked exactly what u said,tyvm! But the interviewer person said a normal hair colour i should change it to but i kinda... don't understand why? (well I do but lol i'm just being stubborn) My shifts are before the store opens and it's going to be such a pain. Who should I speak to about this?
I got it! and I asked exactly what u said,tyvm! But the interviewer person said a normal hair colour i should change it to but i kinda... don't understand why? (well I do but lol i'm just being stubborn) My shifts are before the store opens and it's going to be such a pain. Who should I speak to about this?

To be honest, if you just don't change it there is a good chance that nothing will ever be said about it again (unless it looks truly ridiculous).
It's not a formal environment. If it was a solicitors office or something of that sort then it'd be reasonable, but for Sainsburys you definitely don't need to change it.
i kinda... don't understand why? (well I do but lol i'm just being stubborn)

Who should I speak to about this?

Err, you are just being stubborn, why would talking to anyone about it help?

You can risk turning up on day 1 and seeing what is said about it - but note the word risk.

You could contact HR and ask for a copy of their uniform policy/dress code and see if it says anything in there about hair colour.

I actually think asking about it at interview wasn't the best idea, because now you've drawn attention to it, and if you don't change it you're ignoring a direct instruction. I think now you've asked and been told, you kind of have to change it. However, if you'd said nothing, chances are nobody would have said anything.

I do think companies caring about your hair colour/how you dress if you're not customer facing is silly. Equally, though, a lot of companies do care, and is it so much of a problem to change it that you'd risk upsetting people at your new job over it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending