The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone! New poster on this thread here... I've heard stuff about changes being made to the course for 2017 entry to do with NHS funding...could someone explain this to me please as I'm a little confused. I've applied for 2016 entry, but was considering reapplying for next year (depending on how things go), but if the course is not funded by the NHS as of next year (2017) that makes quite a difference. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by xxpinkgemxx
Hello :smile: when is your interview for Marjon? I haven't heard anything from City either :/ I think, from your username, we are the same age! My friend who is on my access course had a reply from City and they won't consider her application until March as she is older!

My Marjon interview is on the 10th. I am 25! Where are you applying?

That's really odd! They won't consider her until March because she is older? I can't think of why that would be?
Original post by Jo-sie
I'm a mature student too with no more qualifications to complete. I'll give them until the end of the week! Good luck with the interviews!

I have interview invitations from BCU, Leeds Beckett, Manchester, and MMU (finally! I was waiting for you guys!), plus one outright rejection from Sheffield that I won't query. I suspect no mistake has been made in my case and my background isn't sciencey enough. Now the anxious checking of UCAS Track can stop...until after the interviews. Good luck to everyone.

Original post by tayloralison
Hi everyone! New poster on this thread here... I've heard stuff about changes being made to the course for 2017 entry to do with NHS funding...could someone explain this to me please as I'm a little confused. I've applied for 2016 entry, but was considering reapplying for next year (depending on how things go), but if the course is not funded by the NHS as of next year (2017) that makes quite a difference. Thanks! :smile:

There is still a chance that the decision not to fund courses for allied health professionals will be reversed, but I think that's unlikely and I definitely wouldn't bank on it. I was planning to apply for 2017 entry. Then when the Autumn Paper came out I very hastily created a UCAS account and got my application in for this year, because I couldn't afford a student loan for a second degree. Hopefully you'll get on this year and there will be no need to worry. :smile:
Original post by anisah36
Hi- What type of questions did they ask in the interview, if you don't mind me asking. Thank you. :smile:

you really aren't allowed to say for fear of giving people an unfair advantage. But it was some questions you might expect and some questions completely unexpected so you can't really prepare. I also know they ask people different questions or similar ones in different words.
Original post by SophieNW
How was the interview at Leeds Beckett? I have not even heard from them regarding the interview yet, not sure why it takes them so long :frown:

don't worry it's probably better to not hear from them than to hear from them, they're probably just really busy.
Really kind of wish I'd NOT just read my emails actually, I have one offer from one I love but it has the highest grade requirements which I doubt I'll achieve ....and one 'other suggested course' which I mean is something I should be happy about but I wanted the vocational one really....at the same time as actually stressing about assignments. Kind of hoping I get at least 1 other offer
Original post by Andi1991
My Marjon interview is on the 10th. I am 25! Where are you applying?

That's really odd! They won't consider her until March because she is older? I can't think of why that would be?

Mine is on Friday! Travelling there tomorrow eek. I'm 25 too :smile: I've applied to Marjon, Cardiff Met, Leeds Beckett, reading and city. I've got an offer from Cardiff, rejection from reading, interviews for Leeds and Marjon and nothing from city! You?

I know! She reckons it's because of her education or the access course but we just don't know!
Original post by H1998
Hi f you don't mind i just wanted to know how you found out they made a mistake, did you contact them to get feedback as to why you were rejected or did they realise afterwards and then contact you? Also did you contact through email or phone?

Hi, I got rejected on UCAS Track and no reason was given so called them and they gave me email address for SLT Admissions and they replied the next day apologising for the mistake. If you were rejected and felt like it could be a mistake, contact them. They have hundreds of applications, they could miss out something on yours.

Which unis have you applied to?
Original post by Galaxies
don't worry it's probably better to not hear from them than to hear from them, they're probably just really busy.
Really kind of wish I'd NOT just read my emails actually, I have one offer from one I love but it has the highest grade requirements which I doubt I'll achieve ....and one 'other suggested course' which I mean is something I should be happy about but I wanted the vocational one really....at the same time as actually stressing about assignments. Kind of hoping I get at least 1 other offer

I guess no news is good news, but cant help getting anxious.

From what I remember reading on this thread, you got an offer fom Sheffield? Are you doing A levels or Access?
I guess no news is good news, but cant help getting anxious.

From what I remember reading on this thread, you got an offer fom Sheffield? Are you doing A levels or Access?

I didn't unfortunately. I got offered another course at Sheffield. Some other people have though but I haven't heard of many offers from other places yet
Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting an unconditional offer on this course? Just wondering, I know it's extremely unlikely just thought it was interesting haha
Original post by paigecooney20
Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting an unconditional offer on this course? Just wondering, I know it's extremely unlikely just thought it was interesting haha

Only if you already have the grades - then it would still be conditional on the health check and DBS,
Ok, so for the school leavers, what are your A-levels/Btec/ qualifications? Also, any school leavers who have an offer from Sheffield?
Original post by CassiaPeach
Ok, so for the school leavers, what are your A-levels/Btec/ qualifications? Also, any school leavers who have an offer from Sheffield?

My reply is out of date as I applied in 2014 - I was a college leaver - my A level subjects were psychology English lit/lang combined sociology and RS.
Reply 414
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone else has applied to DMU but still not heard anything? Getting a little worried seeing so many people have already been for interviews or have got interviews coming up! (I applied on 9th Dec)

I've heard from all of the other unis I applied to and have had interviews at Sheffield (rejected, but came away expecting that really!) and Leeds Beckett (conditional offer), and i've interviews for BCU and MMU coming up.
Original post by RowanB
Oh yes, I know i'm not exactly gonna the oldest applying haha! I think the good thing about vocational courses is they attract students of all ages - and appreciate them more too! I never would have applied (or got into) SLT when leaving school.

Me too!

A side question, how long did it take Sheffield to give you an offer? My interview was almost 2 weeks so on the verge of going insane now haha
Original post by kpreece
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone else has applied to DMU but still not heard anything? Getting a little worried seeing so many people have already been for interviews or have got interviews coming up! (I applied on 9th Dec)

Your situation with DMU is like mine with Leeds Beckett.

I've heard from all of the other unis I applied to and have had interviews at Sheffield (rejected, but came away expecting that really!) and Leeds Beckett (conditional offer), and i've interviews for BCU and MMU coming up.

What made you think Sheffield would reject you if I can ask? How long did it take them to send you the rejection? I am still waiting for the decision so getting paranoid now. When is your MMU interview? And congrats on your Leeds offer! Lastly, what is your top choice? Sorry for so many questions though.
Me too!

A side question, how long did it take Sheffield to give you an offer? My interview was almost 2 weeks so on the verge of going insane now haha

I'm going crazy too after nearly 2 months!
Reply 418
What made you think Sheffield would reject you if I can ask? How long did it take them to send you the rejection? I am still waiting for the decision so getting paranoid now. When is your MMU interview? And congrats on your Leeds offer! Lastly, what is your top choice? Sorry for so many questions though.

I just knew that I hadn't done well in the face to face interview - don't think I was prepared enough and my nerves got the better of me! Took them just under a week for the rejection but I knew I'd done awfully, they usually say around March time they send decisions so most of the time no news is good news! MMU is 18th Feb and thank you! Don't think I really have a top choice at the moment, just waiting to see other decisions to be honest.
Original post by CassiaPeach
I'm going crazy too after nearly 2 months!

No news is still a good news! Hang in there!

Quick Reply

Latest