The Student Room Group

Time to Talk Day 2016 (Thurs 4th Feb): let's talk about mental wellbeing!

Scroll to see replies

For anyone who is interested, I have a blog here about living with an eating disorder.

There are only 3 posts on it as yet, but it will be updated regularly throughout the year. The posts so far concern:

'You look healthy' type comments - how we take them and what they could actually mean!
'You don't plan for it' - basically a post on the way things go with an eating disorder
And a post on 'Bad days with an eating disorder', what it's like in your head on those days
social anxiety
Moved thread from Chat to Mental Health :h:
I've had depression for going on 3 years and it sucks. About to switch medication as not sure citaloprams working for me anymore.

If you wanna ask something then feel free.

Here's another website - http://www.ineedhelp.org.uk/helpline_hotline/ You can call them to confidentially discuss anything you like.
Original post by justastudent321
social anxiety

Is this something you experience? Or something you would like us to discuss a bit on this thread? :smile:

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

Cheers! I put it in Chat coz I thought more people might see it, but Mental Health is great too now that it's in the 'Today on TSR' widget :biggrin:

Original post by Anonymous
I've had depression for going on 3 years and it sucks. About to switch medication as not sure citaloprams working for me anymore.

If you wanna ask something then feel free.

Here's another website - http://www.ineedhelp.org.uk/helpline_hotline/ You can call them to confidentially discuss anything you like.

Thanks for adding the extra website/helping. So sorry to hear about your depression :frown: I hope the new meds will work out a bit better :console:
Sorry I went AWOL, ended up napping by accident :eek: :awesome: :ninja: Back now and should be around for a few hours at least to chat mental health stuff with you all :biggrin:
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

Hey, any chance you can move this back. The whole point of time to talk day is bringing exposure to mental health issues that aren't normally talked about.

By moving this to the mental health there is no more exposure then normal and the people discussing mental health are the ones who have always been concerned with it, defeating the purpose of the 'time to talk' day.

Hope this didn't sound too rude :smile:
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5048768624827766887#overview/src=dashboard

got a poem on schizophrenia,hope you would check it out @Excuse Me! also the DSM classification system sickens me there's a huge risk with misdiagnosis if psychiatrists use it(luckliy in the uk we dont use it as much as in the US)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Thanks for adding the extra website/helping. So sorry to hear about your depression :frown: I hope the new meds will work out a bit better :console:

No worries! I'm also very passionate about mental health having experienced it. (was anonymous previously in thread)

What's your experience with mental health if you don't mind me asking?
No worries! I'm also very passionate about mental health having experienced it. (was anonymous previously in thread)

@The_Lonely_Goatherd anonymous box was still automatically ticked

Of course I don't mind you asking! I have heard voices for over 20 years, since the age of about 5 or 6. This eventually developed into full-blown psychosis in January 2010. I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder in October 2011 :yes:
Original post by Excuse Me!
@The_Lonely_Goatherd anonymous box was still automatically ticked

Ah the pesky anon box button, grrrr! :shakecane:

:hugs:
Original post by scrawlx101
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5048768624827766887#overview/src=dashboard

got a poem on schizophrenia,hope you would check it out @Excuse Me! also the DSM classification system sickens me there's a huge risk with misdiagnosis if psychiatrists use it(luckliy in the uk we dont use it as much as in the US)

Hi! :wavey:

I can't seem to access the link you've put. Do you wanna just copy and paste your poem here? Is there anything explicit in there, which means it might need to be spoilered?

Ah the good old DSM! What's your particular beef with it? :ninja:
Of course I don't mind you asking! I have heard voices for over 20 years, since the age of about 5 or 6. This eventually developed into full-blown psychosis in January 2010. I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder in October 2011 :yes:

ooh, how are you finding it now?

For anyone interested this documentry is a decent insight into different kinds of mental health: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATTbHvI-pVU
Original post by Excuse Me!
ooh, how are you finding it now?

For anyone interested this documentry is a decent insight into different kinds of mental health: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATTbHvI-pVU

Am in a manic episode right now which is why I haven't been as active on here as I was hoping :frown: I haven't had a manic episode since my undergraduate degree (2007-2010), so it's very much unfamiliar territory and I just don't really know what to do with myself, haha :redface:
Hi! :wavey:

I can't seem to access the link you've put. Do you wanna just copy and paste your poem here? Is there anything explicit in there, which means it might need to be spoilered?

Ah the good old DSM! What's your particular beef with it? :ninja:

everything....will post the poem :

Schizo
Its not easy having Schizo
Firstly its not one mental disorder
But overall it disturbs my minds order
I'm subject to auditory and sensory hallucinations every few weeks,
this makes my sense of self feel weak.
I can't engage in social conversation since I sometimes
don't enjoy social situations.

I'm apparently deluded and paranoid.
Even though I'm sure there's someone inside the void in my head.
I'm often called weird and strange by my classmates since I kinda have catatonia
which makes it look like I'm dead...Sometimes
I take the meds but sometimes I prefer the therapy and
sometimes its nice to have someone listen to my melody instead of my family giving me
all of this negative energy...

http://dailyintrospectiosnandadvice.blogspot.co.uk
Original post by scrawlx101
everything....will post the poem :

Schizo
Its not easy having Schizo
Firstly its not one mental disorder
But overall it disturbs my minds order
I'm subject to auditory and sensory hallucinations every few weeks,
this makes my sense of self feel weak.
I can't engage in social conversation since I sometimes
don't enjoy social situations.

I'm apparently deluded and paranoid.
Even though I'm sure there's someone inside the void in my head.
I'm often called weird and strange by my classmates since I kinda have catatonia
which makes it look like I'm dead...Sometimes
I take the meds but sometimes I prefer the therapy and
sometimes its nice to have someone listen to my melody instead of my family giving me
all of this negative energy...

http://dailyintrospectiosnandadvice.blogspot.co.uk

Thanks for posting! I'll be honest, am not too keen on the abbreviation "schizo" personally, but different people take offence to different things, I guess! :dontknow:
Am in a manic episode right now which is why I haven't been as active on here as I was hoping :frown: I haven't had a manic episode since my undergraduate degree (2007-2010), so it's very much unfamiliar territory and I just don't really know what to do with myself, haha :redface:

Hope its not too bad and you have coping strategies for it! It's hard to be supportive, you can't really say much other than telling whomever you're happy to listen to them.

I think any mental health problem can come and go. It just sucks that it doesn't give you much warning. I've got much better at knowing what will trigger me but unfortunately one of my triggers is college which I have to be at haha.
Thanks for posting! I'll be honest, am not too keen on the abbreviation "schizo" personally, but different people take offence to different things, I guess! :dontknow:

sorry about that completely unintentional,sorry to anyone if this caused offence
Hope its not too bad and you have coping strategies for it! It's hard to be supportive, you can't really say much other than telling whomever you're happy to listen to them.

I think any mental health problem can come and go. It just sucks that it doesn't give you much warning. I've got much better at knowing what will trigger me but unfortunately one of my triggers is college which I have to be at haha.

It's better than it was yesterday/the day before, so am hoping it's fizzling out by itself. No particular coping strategies though for some reason singing seems to help? :dontknow:

Sorry to hear that college is a trigger for you - that must be very difficult :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest