The Student Room Group

Biggest academic achievement?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marshmallow9999
I'm deciding between an exam-heavy course at a Russell Group uni, and a coursework-heavy course at a less-prestigious uni.Think I'm leaning towards the coursework uni- it'll hopefully be less stressful and let me enjoy uni more and get more involved in clubs and things 😯
I think the main motivation will just be the greater oopportunities when I finish :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd probably go for the same as you! My MSc course had no exams and it was so much preferable in my opinion.

And it's definitely a good thing to be able to get more involved in clubs and sports and things - you can often get just as much out of those things as you can from the academic side of things when it comes to applications, interviews, job opportunities etc.

I hope it goes well, whatever you choose. :smile:
Going from a working grade 9 to working grade 2 in 6 weeks in national 5 maths!
Original post by Liv1204
I'd probably go for the same as you! My MSc course had no exams and it was so much preferable in my opinion.

And it's definitely a good thing to be able to get more involved in clubs and sports and things - you can often get just as much out of those things as you can from the academic side of things when it comes to applications, interviews, job opportunities etc.

I hope it goes well, whatever you choose. :smile:

Thank you :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Once I got 10/10 on a Year 7 French vocab test.
7 A*s. :-)
Getting 11A*s at GCSE and getting 39/40 in my English Literature (WJEC board) GCSE controlled assessment and 20/20 on English Language assessment.

BTW, I think a swarm of TSR users with only academic accomplishments and nothing else are going to arrive on this thread soon.
(edited 8 years ago)
Pencil for spelling 'electricity' right in year three
dropped only one mark in GCSE maths :h:
Reply 68
Binge watching all seasons of Grey's Anatomy in one term.
A* in italian A level
Got a C in GCSE further maths when I did no work on it at all and only agreed to be entered into the exam because I had nothing better to do.
Being accelerated in school i guess. more of an ongoing process than an achievement but yeah.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Got a C in GCSE further maths when I did no work on it at all and only agreed to be entered into the exam because I had nothing better to do.

lol i swear u only need like 10 marks on each paper to get a C in gcse further maths.... it's the lowest grade u can get (other than a U).
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
lol i swear u only need like 10 marks on each paper to get a C in gcse further maths.... it's the lowest grade u can get (other than a U).

Ya grade boundaries are hella low but the maths in it made about as much sense as Japanese to me. The U was a highly plausible outcome.
On GCSE Geography (Edexcel) got 398/400 ums. Dropped 2 ums on the 3rd paper as I ended up not revising properly and answering the complete wrong question (answer 2 of the 4 available and on one of those 2 answered what we hadn't studied).
Was pretty happy about that. Unfortunately that trend didn't continue.........
gold in the Uk Maths Challenge
Original post by lisboonpop
gold in the Uk Maths Challenge

Ooh well done! Which one was that in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
100 UMS in my GCSE physics exams (coursework let me down grrrr)

Then 100, 100, 98 UMS in my GCSE biology and chemistry exams (coursework let me down once again)

Although I was buzzing with these results, I was even more impressed to get an A* in history GCSE despite learning nothing for 2 years (literally, our teacher did nothing but tell us to copy from the textbook) as well as getting full UMS in one exam.
Only person in my class to get an A* and A in GCSE and AS level economics respectively. :biggrin: Felt so clever haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Matrix123
Ooh well done! Which one was that in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Twas the senior maths challenge. Really revised hard for it by doing past papers and thankfully it paid off :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest