The Student Room Group

UKMT Intermediate Maths Challenge 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dizgurl
Yeah, I realised 16 would be B, but i wasn't sure so i didn't go for it, but I'm seriously regretting it now atm :/
I mean tbh the intermediate challenge isn't that important ( to me), I'm currently in year 10, so I'd be focusing more on GCSE's than the maths challenges. But if there is any challenge I want to do well in would be the senior maths challenge because it gets more attention and theres obviously the BMO.
I have got best in year in past maths challenges I've done, doubt i will this year...but it wasn't my priority anyways.
Btw well done for the merit in the kangaroo!!!

Thanks! I'm year 10 as well and our teacher literally said we could sleep through it as he thought it was a pointless waste of time. I disagree but it then meant we did nothing in preparation (tbf we did our end of term test on Tues and have our stats mock next Fri so we didn't have much time)
Original post by Chittesh14
Pink Kangaroo is for Year 10/11, I'm in Year 11.
I done Junior back in Year 8 lol, that was a bad day too - I still remember, mainly because I found it hard or something - got a bronze.
I've done IMC 2015... bloody hell that was annoying.

This one was much easier I guess and yeah I'm happy with 74 but just imagine if I had done the other three correctly with like 2 minutes extra if I read over my answers etc - I'd have got into the pink kangaroo, my first ever time for a follow-up round and I'd be the first in my year to get it. I'm not that clever but I still feel happy which is why I hoped for pink kangaroo

Oops got it the wrong way round. I have no clue why I thought it was that round. Sorry!
I don't think it was that hard??
I can't say anything as it'd sound injudicious because I didn't complete the paper only got to Q20.
But, if it was that hard - thank you because I may have a chance to somehow get into Pink Kangaroo then which is impossible at this point - guaranteed.

This was my first time doing the UKMT Intermediate Maths Challenge, so I highly doubt I'll get into Kangaroo never mind the Olympiad! I'm hoping for a gold, but really think I achieved silver (which I would still be happy about).
Original post by 11ahf
It's just so irritating when it's the reading of the question that lets you down, as opposed to the actual maths!

I have never really noticed a difference with my results whether I did a past paper before or not. I did a past paper last night and got 108, a comfortable Olympiad qualification, but then fluffed up in the exam and got around 90. On the other hand, before sitting my first senior challenge in November I did a past paper and got about 70, but in the challenge itself I got 96 or something. Basically: I feel that they have no bearing on how I'll actually perform, but they're good preparation to re-familiarise yourself with the questions.

As an aside: thanks for calling me clever lol. People always think I'm really thick until they see how good I am at maths because I say such dumb things! You seem rather clever too. :tongue:

Lol, I get vain sometimes after the challenge so I just like to keep myself calm and think about the negatives of the challenge and then also think about the positives to not get angry! xD.
Also, thanks :P I guess I'm decent at Maths haha, in the middle of bad and good.

Original post by Lemur14
Oops got it the wrong way round. I have no clue why I thought it was that round. Sorry!

Np :biggrin:. It's good to read the page, you familiarise yourself more with the actual competition. It also allows you to get high hopes haha so you might get a high score and never realise that you've qualified for something called 'Grey Kangaroo' for example haha :P.

Original post by 1+1=Window
This was my first time doing the UKMT Intermediate Maths Challenge, so I highly doubt I'll get into Kangaroo never mind the Olympiad! I'm hoping for a gold, but really think I achieved silver (which I would still be happy about).

Don't worry, I doubt it too - even though if I somehow remember my answers correctly then I've secured a Gold hopefully. If not, then let's see!
Reply 283
Lol, I get vain sometimes after the challenge so I just like to keep myself calm and think about the negatives of the challenge and then also think about the positives to not get angry! xD.
Also, thanks :P I guess I'm decent at Maths haha, in the middle of bad and good.

You can't say you're only decent at maths when you're probably getting a gold - top 10% - in a challenge that only maths nerds do anyway? :tongue: I've recently become an advocate of not even bothering being modest because it's so much effort and then you have to deal with all the people being like "Don't say that! You're so great!" :laugh:
What was the complex decimal aritmetic one? (either 2016 or 2017) I put 2016 cause I didn't want to round so far up...
Original post by BarackObma
What was the complex decimal aritmetic one? (either 2016 or 2017) I put 2016 cause I didn't want to round so far up...

Reply 286
Original post by BarackObma

I put 2016 too because I couldn't be bothered but I did it on a calculator afterwards and it came out as 2017.

Np :biggrin:. It's good to read the page, you familiarise yourself more with the actual competition. It also allows you to get high hopes haha so you might get a high score and never realise that you've qualified for something called 'Grey Kangaroo' for example haha :P.

I read the page but obviously the information didn't go in. Too much history work to do... and what am I doing? procrastinating on TSR.
Original post by Lemur14
I read the page but obviously the information didn't go in. Too much history work to do... and what am I doing? procrastinating on TSR.

Lol exactly what I've been doing for the past 3 hours.... brb!
What do you think gold/kangaroo/Olympiad thresholds will be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JickDee
it is 336.
the key is that they say "BOTH the person on my left and the person on my right are liars"
so if a liar says it, he could mean that neither people beside him are telling the truth OR one of them is and the other isn't

ughghghghgh
Original post by Foreverton
What do you think gold/kangaroo/Olympiad thresholds will be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't attempt the entire paper so it's very hard to say. Considering people are ranting about the paper's difficulty, I'd say:

68/69 for Gold, I'd say 68..
64 for Grey Kangaroo
72/73 for Pink Kangaroo
99 for Maclaurin Olympiad
I was doing alright until I reached the last 10 questions. Since I'm in year 11 I was like- gold or nothing and answered them all :wink:.
I worked out that 15-19 you lose 1 mark for 1 wrong but you get 5 for getting 1 right, so I think I put C for them all and hoped that I got 1 right because that alone would get me a profit of 1 mark.
Reply 293
Original post by DJBay123
I was doing alright until I reached the last 10 questions. Since I'm in year 11 I was like- gold or nothing and answered them all :wink:.
I worked out that 15-19 you lose 1 mark for 1 wrong but you get 5 for getting 1 right, so I think I put C for them all and hoped that I got 1 right because that alone would get me a profit of 1 mark.

Risky... You'd have been better off putting B for them all! But well done on your 1 mark.
Original post by 11ahf
Risky... You'd have been better off putting B for them all! But well done on your 1 mark.

I think I got too mad when I hoped i would get 2 right from 21-25 and risked either losing 10 marks or gaining maybe 12 by putting A on them all.

Its a maths test.
Then a verbal reasoning test.
Then a guessing test.
(edited 8 years ago)
I didn't attempt the entire paper so it's very hard to say. Considering people are ranting about the paper's difficulty, I'd say:

68/69 for Gold, I'd say 68..
64 for Grey Kangaroo
72/73 for Pink Kangaroo
99 for Maclaurin Olympiad

I really hope you're wrong about the kangaroo because I think I got 71 😁
Also your predicted thresholds are higher than last year's. Last year was 64 for gold, 61 for grey, 68 for pink and 95 for Maclaurin

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 296
does anyone know why q15 (about the area of a square in a circle) is not pi/4?
Original post by amkay
does anyone know why q15 (about the area of a square in a circle) is not pi/4?

I don't remember exactly how I got it but you know that the distance from the centre to the two top corners is 1 so you can work it out from that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foreverton
I really hope you're wrong about the kangaroo because I think I got 71 😁
Also your predicted thresholds are higher than last year's. Last year was 64 for gold, 61 for grey, 68 for pink and 95 for Maclaurin

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. Reason being is because I thought that the paper was moderate, just a few questions were looking hard but I got them right idek myself how. I didn't finish the paper so I wasn't able to assess the difficulty of the last 5 questions either.
Also, good luck :smile: I think I got 74 let's see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah. Reason being is because I thought that the paper was moderate, just a few questions were looking hard but I got them right idek myself how. I didn't finish the paper so I wasn't able to assess the difficulty of the last 5 questions either.
Also, good luck :smile: I think I got 74 let's see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

reckon the last five were slightly easier than usual

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending