Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Has anyone got an opinion on Durham vs St Andrews? :smile:
I think if I had to choose just based in the uni itself, I'd go for Durham, but I like the flexibility of the St Andrews degree + it would be free as I'm from the EU... Very torn :/
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Is it a bad sign that I haven't got an offer yet? :frown:
Original post by Kookamooka
Is it a bad sign that I haven't got an offer yet? :frown:

The only bad sign is getting rejected. As long as you have the predicted grades and a decent personal statement you stand a good chance, majority of applicants I know are still waiting, there's nothing to worry about. It varies from department to department and they give out offers until March, so keep your chin up!!!
Original post by patience ak
What is the city like? Are there a lot of things to do? I've never been to Durham so don't know what to expect!

Durham is the size of a small town and as you probably already know, is quite historical and picturesque so I think it's good if you're into that kind of thing. From my experience, it's a fairly safe, friendly place and has a very studenty atmosphere. As for things to do, I think within the university itself, there are probably loads of things you can get involved in e.g. clubs and societies, however I wouldn't say there is a great deal to do outside of that. It's pretty good for shopping and everything is within walking distance. I did know someone who left the uni to go to somewhere with better night life. However this is just one person's experience and lots of people will have a great time at Durham, especially because the uni is very prestigious. It depends what kind of thing you like:smile:
Original post by Katiepotaty
Is the nightlife really that bad????? It's the one thing that's putting me off firming them. I know Newcastle isn't far away and I'm not looking to get absolutely smashed every night of my life but I do want some student life:smile:

I can't speak about the nightlife from personal experience, but from what I've heard it's not that great. I did know someone who left the uni to go somewhere else because they wanted better nightlife haha:biggrin:
Original post by Tarte Tatin
I can't speak about the nightlife from personal experience, but from what I've heard it's not that great. I did know someone who left the uni to go somewhere else because they wanted better nightlife haha:biggrin:

They left?!?!? I'm just wondering if I'll feel like I'm not getting the real student experience by going there but it's so high up in the league tables hmmmm
They left?!?!? I'm just wondering if I'll feel like I'm not getting the real student experience by going there but it's so high up in the league tables hmmmm

It's very prestigious and will look good on your CV and I'm sure you won't be missing out on the student experience. Although the nightlife may not be great, there will still be plenty of student events to get involved in. If you have visited Durham/will visit Durham and you like it when you get there, it's best to go with your instinct.
I feel for anyone worrying but as annoying at this is to hear! Don't worry!

I definitely feel like I've got the full student experience, and I love the nightlife here. It isn't the same as the nightlife in bigger cities like London or Manchester, but I don't think that makes it automatically bad!
Original post by cerlohee
I definitely feel like I've got the full student experience, and I love the nightlife here. It isn't the same as the nightlife in bigger cities like London or Manchester, but I don't think that makes it automatically bad!

Thank you:smile: can I ask which college you're at??
Thank you:smile: can I ask which college you're at??

Hild Bede!
Has anyone heard back from any colleges yet?
Original post by withersgw
Has anyone heard back from any colleges yet?

I think we hear back around mid February. Lots of people heard back from colleges on the 16th of February last year (at least that's what I can see on Twitter)
Hey! I got an offer earlier today for Combined Social Sciences- so happy :smile:
Original post by TitanCream
Well done! :smile:))))))

What does Educatin studies entail. Sounds interesting!
Original post by Mld120
Has anyone got an opinion on Durham vs St Andrews? :smile:
I think if I had to choose just based in the uni itself, I'd go for Durham, but I like the flexibility of the St Andrews degree + it would be free as I'm from the EU... Very torn :/

I have to choose between Durham and St Andrews too. I'm going to decide after visiting both. :smile:
Reply 396
Original post by ombtom
I have to choose between Durham and St Andrews too. I'm going to decide after visiting both. :smile:

I am going to visit as well - when are you visiting? :smile:
Original post by Mld120
I am going to visit as well - when are you visiting? :smile:

Both in March, but I haven't decided which days yet.
Reply 398
Original post by ombtom
Both in March, but I haven't decided which days yet.

Have you got an offer from St Andrews as well already?
Either way, good luck & hopefully visiting will clear things up for both of us... :wink:
Original post by Mld120
Have you got an offer from St Andrews as well already?
Either way, good luck & hopefully visiting will clear things up for both of us... :wink:

Yeah, offers from both (for Physics). :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest