The Student Room Group

Spoken Language coursework for English language

Hi guys,
I am doing my spoken language coursework for English and I need some help with getting an A/A* grade in it. I have some text message transcripts and we have to compare them to spoken and written language. Have any of you done this and if so how did you organise it? Please help!!!!!!!!!! My exam board is AQA.
Also do you have any tips of getting a band 5 in creative story writing. What aspects do you have to include. If you have an example answer it would really help.:smile:
Original post by starstudent7
Hi guys,
I am doing my spoken language coursework for English and I need some help with getting an A/A* grade in it. I have some text message transcripts and we have to compare them to spoken and written language. Have any of you done this and if so how did you organise it? Please help!!!!!!!!!! My exam board is AQA.

Did the same coursework a couple of months ago! I got 16/20.
I organised it by comparing one aspect of the text language, eg slang and continuously referring back to the text for short quotes, and then contrasting how I would speak to the person who the text is to, and then how I would speak to someone else. I also ensured to mention language features such as metaphors (if used in either). You are supposed to make about 6 comparisons (separate feature contrasts) if I remember rightly and if you can! Make sure you are doing each comparison in sufficient detail and if in doubt then do more! Good luck! X📚📖
Original post by aieshacaitlin
Did the same coursework a couple of months ago! I got 16/20.
I organised it by comparing one aspect of the text language, eg slang and continuously referring back to the text for short quotes, and then contrasting how I would speak to the person who the text is to, and then how I would speak to someone else. I also ensured to mention language features such as metaphors (if used in either). You are supposed to make about 6 comparisons (separate feature contrasts) if I remember rightly and if you can! Make sure you are doing each comparison in sufficient detail and if in doubt then do more! Good luck! X📚📖

Thanks for your help! What did you get in your of mice and men one?:smile:
Reply 4
are you doing pimp my ride?
Original post by waveyyhrb
are you doing pimp my ride?

No what's that? Sorry!:smile:
My questions is : Explore the features of language used in digital communications which suggest that this is closer to spoken rather than written language. Comment on public attitudes towards these relatively new forms of communication.
My questions is : Explore the features of language used in digital communications which suggest that this is closer to spoken rather than written language. Comment on public attitudes towards these relatively new forms of communication.

I got full marks in mine, the question was more on spoken language and texting but I think I can provide some sort of help with this one! :smile:

Basically:
What sort of language are digital communications using and what for? E,G messaging is for quick communication between friends like texting, emails and calls are more formal.
What impact does this have on the language?
IE: Although you have some forms that are more written language, emails par exemple, you also have messaging and texting which is literally what we say but in words and shortened and sometimes in emoticons.
For Public attitudes:
Think about why people like it and dislike it
IE: ruining what's left of our language, too informal etc.
But it's quick, easy and saves time and akwardness phoning or arranging a meeting face to face

I think this is all I have to help you :frown: sorry

Before I forget, for the creative writing: The key thing is to have a voice of your own
E.G: Take Miranda Hart or Jeremy Clarkson
Both have their own style of writing, you need to create your own.
My teacher says I have a colloquially formal voice - where I used an extensive range of accomplished vocabulary but did so in a very down to earth way. (Lol it got me good marks ok :biggrin: )
Also use cohersive markers to guide your readers
Try and use impressive punctuation such as brackets, ellipsis', hypens etc.
Always try to vary sentence lengths, paragraph openers, paragraph lengths etc..
Marks came from one word paragraphs etc...
:wink: hopefully this was helpful...
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
I got full marks in mine, the question was more on spoken language and texting but I think I can provide some sort of help with this one! :smile:

Basically:
What sort of language are digital communications using and what for? E,G messaging is for quick communication between friends like texting, emails and calls are more formal.
IE: Although you have some forms that are more written language, emails par exemple, you also have messaging and texting which is literally what we say but in words and shortened and sometimes in emoticons.
For Public attitudes:
But it's quick, easy and saves time and akwardness phoning or arranging a meeting face to face

Before I forget, for the creative writing: The key thing is to have a voice of your own
My teacher says I have a colloquially formal voice - where I used an extensive range of accomplished vocabulary but did so in a very down to earth way. (Lol it got me good marks ok :biggrin: )

Can I message you my work and can you have a read of it and tell me what I need to add to get full marks?:smile:

Basically:
For Public attitudes:

Yes, mine is about texting too. Thanks for your help.:smile:
Yes, mine is about texting too. Thanks for your help.:smile:

That's ok :biggrin:
I could give your work a look but don't guarentee anything amazing, I did this a long time ago, when the dinosaurs weren't extinct...

Spoiler

That's ok :biggrin:
I could give your work a look but don't guarentee anything amazing, I did this a long time ago, when the dinosaurs weren't extinct...

Spoiler

I want more help on the way in which you analyse the transcripts. How much in depth do you have to be?
Thanks for your help! What did you get in your of mice and men one?:smile:

25/30! What about you? 😃😄
I did mine on a school trip of going to Auschwitz Concentration Camp and I got 19/20. Make sure you add emotion - its easier to get marks and for the teacher to understand if its not humour related because of different opinions etc.

Have you learnt AFOREST? I don't know if it's something just my school uses but if you use it it guarentees you an A-A* depending on your SPAG of course.
It stands for:
A - alliteration
F - facts
O - opinion
R - rhetorical question
E - exaggeration
S - similies and statistics
T - triplets

also adding the generic, metaphors etc.
Hope this helps!!
Original post by aieshacaitlin
25/30! What about you? 😃😄

Sameee!!!:smile:
Original post by zfrissenxx
I did mine on a school trip of going to Auschwitz Concentration Camp and I got 19/20. Make sure you add emotion - its easier to get marks and for the teacher to understand if its not humour related because of different opinions etc.

Have you learnt AFOREST? I don't know if it's something just my school uses but if you use it it guarentees you an A-A* depending on your SPAG of course.
It stands for:
A - alliteration
F - facts
O - opinion
R - rhetorical question
E - exaggeration
S - similies and statistics
T - triplets

also adding the generic, metaphors etc.
Hope this helps!!

Thanks I used all these techniques in my story. Hope I get A* like you did! How do you revise for English Literature? Thanks for your help!
Hi guys do you know what grade 17/20 is on the spoken language coursework for English? Thanks!:smile:
Compare the presentation of Tybaltand Macbeth as villains.
Can someone help me on what to write about in this question for my gcse English Literature coursework? What do I need to do to achieve the high marks? Thanks for your help.:smile:
I got a A in my spoken language coursework.

Quick Reply

Latest