The Student Room Group

LSE degrees

Hello people of TSR.

so my question is: Is an 'economics-related degree' from a uni other than LSE worth it if I want to work with governments and international cooperation.

This is because I've recently been told that studying economics at other than LSE will not help me much. Unless it's Oxbridge of course.

If you've studied economics elsewhere could you tell me what your uni experience was, and if you've graduated what were your job prospects?

Guys could you convince me that I didn't do a huge mistake by not adding LSE to my UCAS choices. :confused:
Reply 1
Why would not studying in the 4th best ranked university in the world for economics be a good thing. Oxbridge is 8th and 9th. I know rankings aren't everything, but they are based on factual observations on the quality of the course delivered along with a number of other factors. If you look at the employees of top IB's such as Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan, ~10% of their employees are from LSE, magnitudes higher than their oxbrigde counterparts. Even though you want to work with governments and international cooperation, the employability of lse's graduates must surely be highly regarded as a reason to atleast earn a spot on your application form.
Friend studied financial economics at Essex and got graduate job at Capita. 30k starting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by kheerthi
Why would not studying in the 4th best ranked university in the world for economics be a good thing. Oxbridge is 8th and 9th. I know rankings aren't everything, but they are based on factual observations on the quality of the course delivered along with a number of other factors. If you look at the employees of top IB's such as Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan, ~10% of their employees are from LSE, magnitudes higher than their oxbrigde counterparts. Even though you want to work with governments and international cooperation, the employability of lse's graduates must surely be highly regarded as a reason to atleast earn a spot on your application form.

Thanks yeah it's pretty much what my teacher said. I'm depressed now I sent off my ucas in november without including it.
Reply 4
Original post by RomanKing
Friend studied financial economics at Essex and got graduate job at Capita. 30k starting

Posted from TSR Mobile

My.. this is great news:biggrin:
Reply 5
It really is, I have heard from our careers advisor at school, just go to a russell group university and even the top employers will hire you. It's all about the interview, so make a good impression!!! (This applies for universities and employers).
Reply 6
It really is, I have heard from our careers advisor at school, just go to a russell group university and even the top employers will hire you. It's all about the interview, so make a good impression!!! (This applies for universities and employers).

I applied to Birmingham and Keele. is Keele even Russel group?
Reply 7
Don't even know, but Birmingham is definitely good. P.s. I live there and know the university well.
Reply 8
Don't even know, but Birmingham is definitely good. P.s. I live there and know the university well.

Ok. Thanks
Reply 9
Keele isn't in Russel group and I live local 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Celinajy
Keele isn't in Russel group and I live local 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you visit by any chance? it's pretty secluded apparently
Reply 11
It looks super nice and it is like a rural place, but if you have the chance to go for a better uni than keele, go for a Russel group one...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Celinajy
It looks super nice and it is like a rural place, but if you have the chance to go for a better uni than keele, go for a Russel group one...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup I sure will. Depends on my UCAS rejection/acceptance.

Quick Reply

Latest