The Student Room Group

A Level advice please!!

I'm doing my GCSE's in June, and getting A's and A*'s in nearly all of my subjects!! We have to pick A levels this week and I'm thinking maths, physics, computing and psychology. Was just wondering if anyone does any of these subjects especially psychology as I have never studied it before and would love to find out a bit more about the subject :smile:
Original post by laurenmck99
I'm doing my GCSE's in June, and getting A's and A*'s in nearly all of my subjects!! We have to pick A levels this week and I'm thinking maths, physics, computing and psychology. Was just wondering if anyone does any of these subjects especially psychology as I have never studied it before and would love to find out a bit more about the subject :smile:

What are you hoping to do after A-levels? (no worries if you don't know yet)

Maths can get pretty difficult, but the key is to get a lot of practice is and develop your understanding rather than your memory.

Physics also involves a bit more understanding. You should know about the stuff that gets taught and be able to apply it to unseen situations. It's good to be confident in Maths (and helpful that you're taking Maths alongside it) but not imperative, and the Maths isn't overly difficult - the theory is more important.

As for the other two, I'm not too sure.
I'm doing computing and psychology! Computing is one of the harder subjects (IMHO), and includes both programming as well as some theory. I personally love psychology, some of the modules in the course are really interesting; the exams involve quite a bit of essay writing though so that's something to think about. If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them :smile:
Original post by SeanFM
What are you hoping to do after A-levels? (no worries if you don't know yet)

Maths can get pretty difficult, but the key is to get a lot of practice is and develop your understanding rather than your memory.

Physics also involves a bit more understanding. You should know about the stuff that gets taught and be able to apply it to unseen situations. It's good to be confident in Maths (and helpful that you're taking Maths alongside it) but not imperative, and the Maths isn't overly difficult - the theory is more important.

As for the other two, I'm not too sure.

I'm pretty confident in both maths and physics at the moment so I think I should be able to cope, and unfortunately, I have no idea what I want to do after A levels! Probably something computer related! Thanks for your help!
Original post by Spacefairys
I'm doing computing and psychology! Computing is one of the harder subjects (IMHO), and includes both programming as well as some theory. I personally love psychology, some of the modules in the course are really interesting; the exams involve quite a bit of essay writing though so that's something to think about. If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them :smile:

I'm doing computing at GCSE and really like it, but I'm a little bit wary about psychology as I've heard that so many people find it boring. To me it sounds very interesting, so I mainly wanted to know if others find it interesting/boring. Thanks for the help!!

Quick Reply

Latest