The Student Room Group

Integration

11012x1x2x2+y2+z2dydxdz \int _{-1}^1\int _0^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}}\int _x^{\sqrt{1-x^2}}x^{2\:}+y^2+z^2\:dydxdz

Im trying to convert to spherical polars but can't work out what the limits should be. Answer should be 5pi/24

@TeeEm

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Gome44
11012x1x2x2+y2+z2dydxdz \int _{-1}^1\int _0^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}}\int _x^{\sqrt{1-x^2}}x^{2\:}+y^2+z^2\:dydxdz

Im trying to convert to spherical polars but can't work out what the limits should be. Answer should be 5pi/24

@TeeEm

you need to work out the shape first
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
you need to work out the shape first

Ah should probably have mentioned its the region bounded by: x^2 + y^2 <1, 0<x<y, -1<z<1
Reply 3
Original post by Gome44
Ah should probably have mentioned its the region bounded by: x^2 + y^2 <1, 0<x<y, -1<z<1

I can see this from the limits ... Some double cone inside a cylinder between -1 and 1

I have to picture it
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
I can see this from the limits ... Some double cone inside a cylinder between -1 and 1

I have to picture it

double cone say wut?

I thought it was just 1/8 of a cylinder (unless I've got this horribly wrong)
Reply 5
Original post by Gome44
double cone say wut?

I see a double cone inside a cylinder of radius 1 and we are between z = -1 amd z =1, so the cone touches the cylinder at that height.

the integration (volume) region is the space between the double cone and the cylinder (so symmetry)

Is it spherical or cylindrical polars?
Reply 6
Original post by Gome44
double cone say wut?

sorry no cone
Plane inside the cylinder
correct 1/8 slice inside
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Gome44

@TeeEm

I got the right answer but with cylindrical polars
Reply 8
Original post by TeeEm
I got the right answer but with cylindrical polars

yep i have just done it with cylindrical polars (hence the delayed response). Fairly idiotic on my part, the clue is in the name of the coordinate system...

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Gome44
yep i have just done it with cylindrical polars (hence the delayed response). Fairly idiotic on my part, the clue is in the name of the coordinate system...

Thanks for your help :smile:

no worries ...
in cylindrical, it is fairly pathetic.
I will write tomorrow a beast (cone inside a cylinder), then I will try cone in a hemisphere
Reply 10
Original post by TeeEm
no worries ...
in cylindrical, it is fairly pathetic.
I will write tomorrow a beast (cone inside a cylinder), then I will try cone in a hemisphere

I look forward to it
Reply 11
Original post by Gome44
I look forward to it

You know my resources for undergrads I hope.
(not here but in my site where they get constantly updated)
Reply 12
Original post by TeeEm
You know my resources for undergrads I hope.
(not here but in my site where they get constantly updated)

Yep of course I know it, i have already used your fourier series one :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Gome44
Yep of course I know it, i have already used your fourier series one :smile:

very good

I hope you are enjoying Maths and Oxford.

All the best!
Reply 14
Original post by TeeEm
very good

I hope you are enjoying Maths and Oxford.

All the best!

Analysis suuuuuuccccckkkkkkkssssssss, the rest is bae though. Oxford is quality, lots of wine has been consumed :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Gome44
Analysis suuuuuuccccckkkkkkkssssssss, the rest is bae though. Oxford is quality, lots of wine has been consumed :smile:

excellent stuff!!

Analysis was bad for me too, but algebra was even worse...
You get used to it. The first year is always a shock
Reply 16
Original post by TeeEm
excellent stuff!!

Analysis was bad for me too, but algebra was even worse...
You get used to it. The first year is always a shock

Can't wait until second year so I can drop all the pure stuff and live off applied. I quite enjoy linear algebra (hated it at first though), doing groups in two weeks so hopefully it shouldn't be too bad
Reply 17
Original post by Gome44
Can't wait until second year so I can drop all the pure stuff and live off applied. I quite enjoy linear algebra (hated it at first though), doing groups in two weeks so hopefully it shouldn't be too bad

I hope you like them ...
I hated them with a passion !!!
Original post by Gome44

@TeeEm

Crazy ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Gome44
I look forward to it

Here they are ... Freshly baked this evening ... they are not hard,
I hope you do them (free proof reading needed) before I add them in to my examplebook.

all the best

Quick Reply

Latest