The Student Room Group

Time to Talk Day 2016 (Thurs 4th Feb): let's talk about mental wellbeing!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I was kinda similar but in my home life: I used to be very silent (still am, tbh) because if I don't say anything, people can't shout at me :s-smilie:

#AsianParents. :frown: I'm exactly like this.
Original post by Spock's Socks
Awww thankies :smile: didn't mean to write a novel but you know what I am like, once I start talking, well typing, I can't stop :tongue: lol

Don't worry, it's what this thread is for; I'm sure we all enjoyed/will enjoy reading it! :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
#AsianParents. :frown: I'm exactly like this.

Indeed :sadnod:

Totes didn't know you are Asian - how did I miss that?!?! :facepalm: :colondollar: :getmecoat:

:hugs:
One thing that has really helped me deal with my mental health problems has been the ability to share how I am feeling. I feel like there is still such a stigma against people asking for help because it makes them look weak etc, but in fact you are strong if you are able to come to terms with the fact that something is wrong and you want to change. I have also been incredibly lucky that I have a few friends who I am able to tell anything to and they won't judge me for what I am saying (I hope not anyway :tongue:). Obviously, we have to be careful with who we can talk to as so many people don't truly understand what it is like to go through a mental illness and have really dark thoughts etc, but sharing how you are feeling is incredibly helpful. It doesn't necessarily have to be to a professional, it can even just be in your journal, just by getting out your feelings, you can feel so much better. I probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't for one of my friends who was willing to spend so much time talking to me when I was at my most vulnerable.

I wrote a blog post about the effect of sharing:

Sharing is healing

(edited 8 years ago)
Indeed :sadnod:

Totes didn't know you are Asian - how did I miss that?!?! :facepalm: :colondollar: :getmecoat:

You did know, but you just don't recognise me. :smile: I've vented to you before via PM (thanks for that by the way :colondollar:).

Also, I didn't know you actually knew who I was on here. xD I thought our interactions were too infrequent for that.
Original post by minimarshmallow
I've just been tweeting about my mental health (here if you're interested) and it's like therapy in itself. It helps me and I hope it helps others too. Talking is always the way forward.

Do you mind if I follow you? :smile:
Original post by moment of truth
One thing that has really helped me deal with my mental health problems has been the ability to share how I am feeling. I feel like there is still such a stigma against people asking for help because it makes them look weak etc, but in fact you are strong if you are able to come to terms with the fact that something is wrong and you want to change. I have also been incredibly lucky that I have a few friends who I am able to tell anything to and they won't judge me for what I am saying (I hope not anyway :tongue:). Obviously, we have to be careful with who we can talk to as so many people don't truly understand what it is like to go through a mental illness and have really dark thoughts etc, but sharing how you are feeling is incredibly helpful. It doesn't necessarily have to be to a professional, it can even just be in your journal, just by getting out your feelings, you can feel so much better. I probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't for one of my friends who was willing to spend so much time talking to me when I was at my most vulnerable.

Thanks for taking the time to write this - it's so true! I really do believe a problem shared is a problem halved (not literally halved, maybe - but at least it'll be less intense).

I too have found reaching out to people in times of distress to be very important for keeping going/afloat :yes:
Original post by Hydeman
You did know, but you just don't recognise me. :smile: I've vented to you before via PM (thanks for that by the way :colondollar:).

Also, I didn't know you actually knew who I was on here. xD I thought our interactions were too infrequent for that.

Ah my bad, sorry I didn't remember about you PMing me. I get so many PMs each academic year on a variety of subjects and like I said in an earlier post, my memory is shot for things like who-is-who post-Oxford breakdown :colondollar:

I've seen your posts in the religion areas :ninja:
Ah my bad, sorry I didn't remember about you PMing me. I get so many PMs each academic year on a variety of subjects and like I said in an earlier post, my memory is shot for things like who-is-who post-Oxford breakdown :colondollar:

I couldn't expect you to remember anyway -- I was using a different account, so don't worry about it. :laugh:

I've seen your posts in the religion areas :ninja:

Oh...

How come you're still talking to me? xD They hate me in the religion subforum. :rofl: For what it's worth, you're one of the nicest religious people I've met, either on TSR or in real life. :yes:
Thanks for taking the time to write this - it's so true! I really do believe a problem shared is a problem halved (not literally halved, maybe - but at least it'll be less intense).

I too have found reaching out to people in times of distress to be very important for keeping going/afloat :yes:

Have been meaning to write in this thread for a while, but was busy at uni so couldn't. :colondollar:

I definitely agree. I don't know where I would be if I didn't share how I was feeling. There are obviously times when you feel like you can't talk to anyone else though.
MENTAL HEALTH AND WORKING

We've almost come to the end of Time to Talk Day 2016! HUGE thanks to the CT of TSR for supporting and promoting the thread, and to everyone who has read, followed or contributed in any small way! Hopefully this thread has given some useful information and food for thought :grouphugs:

A brief consideration about careers and mental health. The statistics are quite bad for the number of mentally ill people who are in paid employment, to my limited knowledge on these matters. This, I would say, is down to a number of reasons, including discrimination in the workplace and the fact that many jobs are full-time and/or quite demanding and are thus not mental health-friendly.

I've had some really amazing experiences and some really **** experiences when disclosing my mental health issues. The advice that was given to me by the SWLSTG Recovery College, was to not declare, refer to or mention my mental illness until AFTER a job offer has been made in writing. If there is an equal opportunities form, I do always tick the mental health difficulties box but, having learnt my lesson about being too honest during the recruitment process, I've learnt to hold my tongue.

That said, as someone has mentioned before, it's a very individual decision and a lot of good work is being done in this area, via the Two Ticks programme.

I guess something to remember (and something that I try to tell myself, about the bad experiences I've had with declaring a mental health problem in an employment setting), is that if people won't hire you because you are mentally ill, they probably aren't someone you want to work for anyway! :nah:
Original post by Hydeman
I couldn't expect you to remember anyway -- I was using a different account, so don't worry about it. :laugh:

Ah OK, that would explain it, haha :colondollar:

Oh...

How come you're still talking to me? xD They hate me in the religion subforum. :rofl: For what it's worth, you're one of the nicest religious people I've met, either on TSR or in real life. :yes:

I don't mind people arguing against religion, as long as they do so in an intelligent and eloquent matter. Like I don't really agree with a lot of the stuff that you say, or that Planta says, for example, or The Angry Stoic (back in the day :moon: ), but your posts command respect :yep:

Aww, thanks, that's very kind of you to say :colondollar:

Original post by moment of truth
Have been meaning to write in this thread for a while, but was busy at uni so couldn't. :colondollar:

I definitely agree. I don't know where I would be if I didn't share how I was feeling. There are obviously times when you feel like you can't talk to anyone else though.

No worries at all, just glad you were able to join in and felt able to post! :smile:

Yes that is very true, sometimes one has to fight very hard against the instinct to be silent/disappear and not let anyone know how you're doing. It can be a real struggle sometimes for me, especially in severe depressive episodes :frown:
It's snoozy time for TLG now :ahee: :moon: :love:

Thanks to everyone for reading and/or participating. I'm all Time to Talk-ed out now, haha :colondollar:

Stay strong, safe and well, peeps! :grouphugs:
Ah OK, that would explain it, haha :colondollar:

I don't mind people arguing against religion, as long as they do so in an intelligent and eloquent matter. Like I don't really agree with a lot of the stuff that you say, or that Planta says, for example, or The Angry Stoic (back in the day :moon: ), but your posts command respect :yep:

Aww, thanks, that's very kind of you to say :colondollar:

Can't rep you again, but thanks. :smile: This has been a good thread.

Do stereotypes frustrate you?
Yeah, definitely. I haven't told anyone my age about my depression and don't disclose it in job applications because I don't think they'd take me because of it. I got 5 university rejection this year (don't worry I did apply for above my BBB prediction). My AS results were poor because I got depressed again at college and I only started the antidepressants up again about 2 months before the exam. They didn't hit me till after the vital revision period (April - May) and because of that I was cramming, staying up way too late round exams, obviously having an adverse effect on my ability.

Despite this I could never shake the feeling that if it had been pneumonia, a family tragedy - something people understood that I'd have been giving an offer from just one of them.

What can we do to challenge stigma and stereotyping?
Talk about it and educate in schools. Teach people that bullying is not ok because bullying is often the start of a mental illness. The problem is that in schools its the 'snitch' that's looked down upon rather than the bully because usually the bullies are the popular, confident ones that others are too scared to disagree with over fear of damaging their own social standing.

I also think fictional portrayals are important and should be presented accurately. People without a mental illness won't acitvely seek information about mental health because it doesn't effect them. Fiction can show people how it is if done correctly. (Carrie's Bipolar in Homeland was done excellently imo and Bojack Horsemen is the best representation of Depression I've seen)

Do you ever feel pigeon-holed or boxed in by your diagnosis/diagnoses?
As I said above I don't disclose it because of this. I feel people see having a mental health problem as being a 'nutter'. I've had teachers who are not understanding and will scowl at you for not doing their work because you're lazy when in actual fact you felt too de-energised and too hopeless to do anything.

I for one am quite conscious that I'm a bit unusual, in terms of people with psychosis. Even those working in mental health quite surprised when I talk about experiencing psychosis, or list off some of my symptoms. There seems to be a psychotic person box that people want to fit me into (especially some psychiatrists, which is highly infuriating) and because I don't fit into it, people have (in the past) decided that there's nothing wrong with me :s-smilie: The general public, on the other hand, have a tendency to freak out when they hear the word 'psychosis' or the words 'hearing voices'. They assume that you're gonna murder them or something, or that you should be locked up :s-smilie:

All this said, I am very guilty of stereotyping mentally ill people, even though I am one myself! But I am trying to challenge my assumptions by learning more, reading up on conditions that people I know have, and trying to listen more as to how to support them.

I do this too haha. I don't know why, perhaps, its sort of built in too us indirectly so we have to rationalise things consciously too begin with until we understand the illness.

:smile: ^

Seem to have wrote a small book haha. I feel strongly on mental health though. Did my English Language coursework looking at fictional representations of Depression so definetly have an interest in it.
Original post by Tiger Rag
With things like depression, it's actually impossible to hide. ( evenbefore we go into self harm) I have met a few people with Bi Polar where it's not been obvious at all. And did used to have a friend with Schizophrenia where I only knew because he told me.

I totally agree with this, and I don't understand how anyone can claim that depression is easy to hide. What about things like struggling to hold a conversation with people because you're too mentally exhausted to do so, from being in a constant state of low mood? It's mentally draining, and there's no other word for it. I know what it's like because I've been through it, and because I've seen how certain people have reacted to me when I've been in that mental state (certain people which include my own brother).
:hi:

Thanks for your post - I think discussion of eating disorders is really important as the statistics apparently show that 1 in 5 young people show signs of an eating disorder :frown: That's a lot higher than I had realised :eek:

I don't personally consider myself to have an eating disorder, so I don't feel qualified to lead on that discussion. Perhaps you might like to write a bit more about your thoughts and experiences, to get a conversation going in this thread? I think it's really important that we address the issue of eating disorders, given how prevalent they are! :yes:

:biggrin: No thank you for making this thread!

Yes I will definitely :yep:
I'm also going to share my experiences on dealing with bi polar disorder and anxiety :redface:
And I'd also like to start a discussion on how to get over the idea that talking about mental health issues is embarrassing and a burden to other people since this is something I struggle with.

I just need to get some revision done first :redface:

Edit: oops just realized Thursday's over :getmecoat:
Don't worry I'll just post all of that stuff in the MH forum.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lustawny
Do you mind if I follow you? :smile:

Of course not.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Of course not.

Cool.
They assume that you're gonna murder them or something, or that you should be locked up :s-smilie:

I've been told these things too. I was told in general, that people with mental health problems are more likely to hurt themselves than other people.

Quick Reply

Latest