The Student Room Group

Losing 4 family memebers within 5 years?

How do I cope with this? Since 2011 I have lost 3 family members and now my grandma has been told she only has months, not years to live and I will likely lose her this year. I am so tired and sick of death and feeling down and grieving. I am also angry, not at anyone in particular, I am just angry and impatient all the time. I used to be genuinely happy, now I just fake it.

I am sick of feeling like this constantly, it's impossible to get on with life with the spectre on yet another death looming over you. I have dropped out of uni for this reason

What can I do? I'm so mad :angry: :angry:
Reply 1
I'm also f***ing tired of going to funerals and crying :angry:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
How do I cope with this? Since 2011 I have lost 3 family members and now my grandma has been told she only has months, not years to live and I will likely lose her this year. I am so tired and sick of death and feeling down and grieving. I am also angry, not at anyone in particular, I am just angry and impatient all the time. I used to be genuinely happy, now I just fake it.

I am sick of feeling like this constantly, it's impossible to get on with life with the spectre on yet another death looming over you. I have dropped out of uni for this reason

What can I do? I'm so mad :angry: :angry:

I know how you feel. I have also lost multiple family members in a very short time. It does get better, even though right now it feels like it never will. It sounds like it would be a good idea to talk to a grief counsellor. They will be able to advise and support you throughout this time. Religious leaders like vicars and priests etc can provide excellent support as well. Don't worry about bothering them, it's part of their job to support people in their times of distress.

Is your Grandma in any form of hospice care? Usually, this would be as an outpatient, but there are inpatient hospices as well. A hospice can provide excellent care and support, both for your Grandma and your entire family. It can sound contradictory, but they are very happy and joyful places to be.

Make the most of the time you have left with your Grandma. Spend as much time as possible with her and say everything you want to say to her.

What you are going through is a natural part of grief. It is normal. It will get better, eventually. There is no timetable for grief.

If you ever need to talk to someone completely non judgemental, there are grief helplines that you can call.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Katty3
I know how you feel. I have also lost multiple family members in a very short time. It does get better, even though right now it feels like it never will. It sounds like it would be a good idea to talk to a grief counsellor. They will be able to advise and support you throughout this time. Religious leaders like vicars and priests etc can provide excellent support as well. Don't worry about bothering them, it's part of their job to support people in their times of distress.

Is your Grandma in any form of hospice care? Usually, this would be as an outpatient, but there are inpatient hospices as well. A hospice can provide excellent care and support, both for your Grandma and your entire family. It can sound contradictory, but they are very happy and joyful places to be.

Make the most of the time you have left with your Grandma. Spend as much time as possible with her and say everything you want to say to her.

What you are going through is a natural part of grief. It is normal. It will get better, eventually. There is no timetable for grief.

If you ever need to talk to someone completely non judgemental, there are grief helplines that you can call.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Katty3, thank you for your moral support but what good would counselling do me? They can't bring back the dead?

She is in a care home at the minute although she keeps having to go into hospital because she has a weak heart and breathing problems. She and her husband (my granddad) brought me up practically as a child so I'm really concerned about how negatively losing her will effect me. My dad wasn't really around a lot when I was growing up so they were all I had really.

Thanks again, I hate death, it sucks so bad
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Katty3, thank you for your moral support but what good would counselling do me? They can't bring back the dead?

She is in a care home at the minute although she keeps having to go into hospital because she has a weak heart and breathing problems. She and her husband (my granddad) brought me up practically as a child so I'm really concerned about how negatively losing her will effect me. My dad wasn't really around a lot when I was growing up so they were all I had really.

Thanks again, I hate death, it sucks so bad

Counselling can help you to come to terms with your feelings. It can help you to understand why you are feeling the way you are and it can lessen the pain.

Death is completely and utterly natural. It has always and will always happen. It sucks, but, to paraphrase Albus Dumbledore, it is the next great adventure.

Your Grandma's care home is probably best placed to give you specific guidance on hospice care and what support you can access and how to do that. They will have dealt with people in situations similar to your family's before and they exist to help you. Don't be scared to ask.

Your Grandma's doctor is probably able to help in terms of making sure that the right help and support is in place.

I am always happy and willing to listen. If you ever want to talk, my PM box is always open. I am glad that you've found my response helpful in some way.

I find prayer to be particularly helpful whenever I'm feeling sad and angry. It is a time for quiet, calm reflection about life and your feelings. Meditation works in much the same way. It's not something that everyone likes doing, but I find it helpful. It definitely won't do you any harm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest