The Student Room Group

a level law exam advice?

Anyone got any useful study tips for the AQA AS/A2 exams? I'm sitting both the AS and A2 exams this May/June and I'm not sure how much time etc I should be delegating to each paper? Help?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adamanderson96
Anyone got any useful study tips for the AQA AS/A2 exams? I'm sitting both the AS and A2 exams this May/June and I'm not sure how much time etc I should be delegating to each paper? Help?

hi. could you describe your situation a bit more. what other subjects r u doin and with which board? have you gotten any grades so far?

Law exams, even at A-level, require quite a lot of information to be remembered and you must be very accurate when citing it. I personally ensure to read over the notes I've gathered in the class after the said class several times to get everything into my head. But class notes may have some unnecessary material in them, therefore making it even more difficult to remember- so I would suggest you to have a look at the mark schemes to see where the marks are coming from and to produce revision sheets for every topic in a concise way, making it easier to revise later.
Original post by Audrey18
hi. could you describe your situation a bit more. what other subjects r u doin and with which board? have you gotten any grades so far?

Hi, well, I've already got BBD at A level and I'm doing the whole AQA A level in law this year. I need an A to get into my firm choice!
Reply 4
With problem questions, make sure you know the Law. As long as you talk about the relevant law applicable to the scenario, with reference to the cases then apply the law to the facts. As long as you get the law right then it is fine. Follow the IRAC method-- Issue, Rule, Application, Conclusion
With essay questions, it is essential for you to do extra reading and having your own judgement with supporting evidence. Also, be able to have balance in your arguments.
If you are revising criminal, then finding information should be quite easy, but if you are doing contract then make sure that you know your cases well as the law is highly based on case law.
Original post by kmixo
With problem questions, make sure you know the Law. As long as you talk about the relevant law applicable to the scenario, with reference to the cases then apply the law to the facts. As long as you get the law right then it is fine. Follow the IRAC method-- Issue, Rule, Application, Conclusion
With essay questions, it is essential for you to do extra reading and having your own judgement with supporting evidence. Also, be able to have balance in your arguments.
If you are revising criminal, then finding information should be quite easy, but if you are doing contract then make sure that you know your cases well as the law is highly based on case law.

Hey, sorry I have a question. In unit 2 we're not given extra reading time to read the case scenario, my question is how would you advise someone to read, analyse and apply the information given in the scenario? I'm a bit worried for unit 2. My fear is timing. If I had more time, I would do fine but I seem to never finish. For unit 1 I'm thinking of cramming some essays while still revising and learning the material I am unsure about. Unit 1 seems to be predictable unlike unit 2 where it's different scenarios each year. Any advice you could give would be extremely helpful x
Original post by Cherry82
Hey, sorry I have a question. In unit 2 we're not given extra reading time to read the case scenario, my question is how would you advise someone to read, analyse and apply the information given in the scenario? I'm a bit worried for unit 2. My fear is timing. If I had more time, I would do fine but I seem to never finish. For unit 1 I'm thinking of cramming some essays while still revising and learning the material I am unsure about. Unit 1 seems to be predictable unlike unit 2 where it's different scenarios each year. Any advice you could give would be extremely helpful x

I feel your pain hahaha, I'm not sure if this would help you or not now but if you learn off essays for the first two theory questions on each section that could give you more time to do the scenario questions?
Reply 7
I feel your pain hahaha, I'm not sure if this would help you or not now but if you learn off essays for the first two theory questions on each section that could give you more time to do the scenario questions?

Anyone have any tips for the scenarios questions - I'm solid with all the information in the unit, not confident however in terms of applying it. :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by kmixo

Hi guy I'm self teaching myself As law I want to ask if for As law for the exams do I need to learn ALL topics on Law Making ( parliamentary law making, delegated Leg etc)and legal system( The civil courts and other forms of ADR, The legal profession etc) Do we need to cover all the topics in depth or can I just choose 2 topics from each for example law making I can focus on parliamentary law making and delegated leg and for legal system I can focus on the civil court and other forms of ADR and the legal profession please help me I need help thanks everyone in advance
Reply 9
Original post by Audrey18

Hi guy I'm self teaching myself As law I want to ask if for As law for the exams do I need to learn ALL topics on Law Making ( parliamentary law making, delegated Leg etc)and legal system( The civil courts and other forms of ADR, The legal profession etc) Do we need to cover all the topics in depth or can I just choose 2 topics from each for example law making I can focus on parliamentary law making and delegated leg and for legal system I can focus on the civil court and other forms of ADR and the legal profession please help me I need help thanks everyone in advance
Original post by Pathy

Hello, for AQA for unit 1 you only need to learn three main topics as you'll need to answer three sections in the exam. For us, we did Delegated legislation, Statutory Interpretation and Criminal courts- Magistrates and Juries. In the delegated legislation part we were asked about Parliamentary law making for example then in the statutory interpretation it was about concepts such as the literal rule and golden rule while section three concerning the courts with Magistrates and Juries had questions about advantages/disadvantages of having juries or magistrates.You should learn them in depth if you can but in all honesty people in my class still got As in unit one through learning essays the they had written by doing all the past papers and having our teacher mark them. If you have a good memory, you too could get away with this but if you're someone like me who could only remember things if they've gone in depth and invested time to remember them then I would advise you should try and go in depth. The unit 2 is where you learn all of it required and here you can't just learn essays because it's application questions. Unit 1 it's possible because you don't have to refer to any scenario randomly given in the exam but unit 2 you must. In unit 2 you can either study criminal or contract law. My advice is, you really feel like you have no time, make essays, have someone mark them, write them out so many times for each section and have a teacher mark them because AQA repeats questions. Don't make essays for questions that came up last year. AQA never repeats questions unless in unusual circumstances i.e where something happened with the marking like in 2012/2013 but this hasn't happened since then. So find the 2016 papers to know what you need to not go over. If you write essays to all of the past papers, you should be fine for unit 1. Then certainly learn unit 2 as you'll need to apply your knowledge onto the randomly given scenario. I got A in unit 1 but D in unit 2 which was my fault as I spent too much time trying to go over unit 1 but in reality the marks are in unit 2. Hope this helped.
Reply 11
Hello, for AQA for unit 1 you only need to learn three main topics as you'll need to answer three sections in the exam. For us, we did Delegated legislation, Statutory Interpretation and Criminal courts- Magistrates and Juries. In the delegated legislation part we were asked about Parliamentary law making for example then in the statutory interpretation it was about concepts such as the literal rule and golden rule while section three concerning the courts with Magistrates and Juries had questions about advantages/disadvantages of having juries or magistrates.You should learn them in depth if you can but in all honesty people in my class still got As in unit one through learning essays the they had written by doing all the past papers and having our teacher mark them. If you have a good memory, you too could get away with this but if you're someone like me who could only remember things if they've gone in depth and invested time to remember them then I would advise you should try and go in depth. The unit 2 is where you learn all of it required and here you can't just learn essays because it's application questions. Unit 1 it's possible because you don't have to refer to any scenario randomly given in the exam but unit 2 you must. In unit 2 you can either study criminal or contract law. My advice is, you really feel like you have no time, make essays, have someone mark them, write them out so many times for each section and have a teacher mark them because AQA repeats questions. Don't make essays for questions that came up last year. AQA never repeats questions unless in unusual circumstances i.e where something happened with the marking like in 2012/2013 but this hasn't happened since then. So find the 2016 papers to know what you need to not go over. If you write essays to all of the past papers, you should be fine for unit 1. Then certainly learn unit 2 as you'll need to apply your knowledge onto the randomly given scenario. I got A in unit 1 but D in unit 2 which was my fault as I spent too much time trying to go over unit 1 but in reality the marks are in unit 2. Hope this helped.

aaaaawww thank you for your time i really appreciate it thanks a lot. And iv chosen to focus on SECTION A: Parliamentary Law Making and Delegated Leg

and for SECTION B: The civil courts and other form of ADR
and The Legal profession and other sources of advice and finding .

What do you think do i need to add another topic? and I rang the exam board for AQA and the guy told me to learn all topics from both sections A/B i think he wants to kill me loooooool

look forward to hear from you
Reply 12

Sorry you guys did 2 topics from SECTION A and one from SECTION B ?? or am i just going blind
Original post by Pathy
Sorry you guys did 2 topics from SECTION A and one from SECTION B ?? or am i just going blind

You're welcome. And yes, you are correct :smile:. Delegated legislation and Statutory interpretation came up in section A (Law making) while the bit about the courts, magistrates and juries (that's one unit) came up in section B (The legal system).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
You're welcome. And yes, you are correct :smile:. Delegated legislation and Statutory interpretation came up in section A (Law making) while the bit about the courts, magistrates and juries (that's one unit) came up in section B (The legal system).

Oooooh I seee well iv chosen parliamentary and delegated Leg SECTION A

SECTION B adr and legal profession
to study and focusing only on them 4
what do you think ?
Original post by Pathy
aaaaawww thank you for your time i really appreciate it thanks a lot. And iv chosen to focus on SECTION A: Parliamentary Law Making and Delegated Leg

and for SECTION B: The civil courts and other form of ADR
and The Legal profession and other sources of advice and finding .

What do you think do i need to add another topic? and I rang the exam board for AQA and the guy told me to learn all topics from both sections A/B i think he wants to kill me loooooool

look forward to hear from you

I'm sorry, I didn't initially see the bit in bold. Just a quick question, by ADR do you mean Alternative methods of Dispute Resolution? So to clarify you're studying Parliamentary law making, Delegated legislation for section A then for section B you're learning the bits about the civil courts and other forms of dispute resolution? Oh, now I see what's going on here. You're learning way too much than required. For section C, you only need to learn one unit but you've listed two- 1) Civil courts and other forms of dispute 2) The legal profession and other sources of advice and funding. My dear :smile: trust me on this, three in total will be enough. You don't need four. Choose two for section A, then out of the ones you had stated for section B choose one, you really don't need two for section B x Now it makes sense as to why you're finding the content too much, it's good you're trying to stretch yourself but schools would teach 3 and continue onto unit 2.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
I'm sorry, I didn't initially see the bit in bold. Just a quick question, by ADR do you mean Alternative methods of Dispute Resolution? So to clarify you're studying Parliamentary law making, Delegated legislation for section A then for section B you're learning the bits about the civil courts and other forms of dispute resolution? Oh, now I see what's going on here. You're learning way too much than required. For section C, you only need to learn one unit but you've listed two- 1) Civil courts and other forms of dispute 2) The legal profession and other sources of advice and funding. My dear :smile: trust me on this, three in total will be enough. You don't need four. Choose two for section A, then out of the ones you had stated for section B choose one, you really don't need two for section B x Now it makes sense as to why you're finding the content too much, it's good you're trying to stretch yourself but schools would teach 3 and continue onto unit 2.

CHERRY I LOVE YOU HONEST TO GOD OH MY GOD IV FINISHED LAW THEN LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL I JUSTED TO REVISED IN DEPTH AGAIN LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL THANK YOU WHAT A LIFE SAVER OKAY ONE MORE TIME FOR LAW AS UNIT ONE IM DOING :

Section A: Parliamentary and Deleg Leg
sectionB: The civil courts and other forms of ADR( Alternative Dispute Resolution

i understood you right yeah ?
Original post by Pathy
CHERRY I LOVE YOU HONEST TO GOD OH MY GOD IV FINISHED LAW THEN LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL I JUSTED TO REVISED IN DEPTH AGAIN LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL THANK YOU WHAT A LIFE SAVER OKAY ONE MORE TIME FOR LAW AS UNIT ONE IM DOING :

sectionB: The civil courts and other forms of ADR( Alternative Dispute Resolution

Haha, you're welcome my dear :smile: I saw your visitors message and was getting concerned, thinking oh my- what did that guy advice for you to learn. And yes. Those three are all you need. Since you've already learnt it, just revise going over the concepts, do past paper questions and move onto unit 2. Completely forget about the legal profession and other sources of advice, and funding- you really don't need it at all since you already have three in total.
Original post by Pathy

Oh and I just wanted to add. On AQA's unit one exam paper it states "Choose one topic from Section A, one topic from Section B and a third topic from either
Section A or Section B." So if you wanted, you could choose one topic from section A and two from section B rather than two from section A and one from section B. But since you've already decided I'm sure it wouldn't matter to you. As long as you have three in total, you're good for the exam :h:
Reply 19
Oh and I just wanted to add. On AQA's unit one exam paper it states "Choose one topic from Section A, one topic from Section B and a third topic from either
Section A or Section B." So if you wanted, you could choose one topic from section A and two from section B rather than two from section A and one from section B. But since you've already decided I'm sure it wouldn't matter to you. As long as you have three in total, you're good for the exam :h:

oooooooh I SEEEE AND YES I WILL STICK TO THEM LOOOOOL IM DONE AND SORTED THANKS IM SELF TEACHING MYSELF ALEVELS AND YOUVE MADE MY LIFE SOO MUCH EASIER !!!!!!! THANKS CHERRY MAY GOD BLESS YOU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending